Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Clomid Question

Hi Ladies, as you may know i have my clomid chat in a few weeks, so i am hoping i am prescribed it.

Can you let me know exactly what happens when you take it, and what its supposed to do. I only got the basics from my (horrid) consultant and when i read up on the net i get different stories all the time, so i am hoping my BE pal's can help me out and let me know what goes on when on it.

Do you get scans while on Clomid? If so, are they like ultra-sounds or are they the internal ones? (I hate them! Who need's what can only be described as an ugly cheap hard plastic camera vibrator shoved in again! I was horrified when i had to get that! :lol: )

Do you get bloods again for ovulation tracking?

Thanks so much my lovely ladies (can you tell i have perked up a bit since my post a few days ago! Lol)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey Tiny T,

Having got my BFP on my first proper round of clomid I am it's biggest fan!! I didn't have follicle tracking, just a 21 day blood test, but I was prescribed mine through my GP so if you are going private or through a fertility clinic it might be different. However, I think the NHS tend to not do follicle tracking if that helps. Don't worry too much about it, as it turned out I didn't need it and I was stressing that I wasn't having it!!

You take the clomid for 5 days on days 2-6 and it will make you feel a bit sh*t I'm afraid. I had terrible hot flashes, I was tired, spotty, moody, and soooo bloated!! I also had acupuncture which helped deal with a lot of the side effects and made me feel much more balanced. Also drink lots and lots of water, I think I was on about 3 litres per day! Clomid is a dose of progesterone I think and other hormones to make you ovulate. I OVed around CD16 but it can make you OV much later, even after your CD21 bloods, so keep at it! We BDed from CD7 to CD24 every other day without fail!! I had a little bit of EWCM but I really couldn't tell when I OVed for sure, only the blood test confirmed it for me after I'd got my BFP!

I really hope it works its magic for you sweetie. And keep the PMA up too. I worked really hard this month on my Zita West visualisation, you know imagining the sperm travelling and imagining them meeting the egg etc. I really think it helped me to relax a little, stay positive, and the result speaks for itself!

Good luck!!

S xx

P.S I think the transvaginal scan might be used for follicle tracking if the bladder's not full properly or they need to get a closer look. When I had my PCOS scan I was so lucky that I'd filled my bladder perfectly so she didn't need to use the camera vibrator! Thank goodness!! xx
  • Options
    Hey Tiny T,

Having got my BFP on my first proper round of clomid I am it's biggest fan!! I didn't have follicle tracking, just a 21 day blood test, but I was prescribed mine through my GP so if you are going private or through a fertility clinic it might be different. However, I think the NHS tend to not do follicle tracking if that helps. Don't worry too much about it, as it turned out I didn't need it and I was stressing that I wasn't having it!!

You take the clomid for 5 days on days 2-6 and it will make you feel a bit sh*t I'm afraid. I had terrible hot flashes, I was tired, spotty, moody, and soooo bloated!! I also had acupuncture which helped deal with a lot of the side effects and made me feel much more balanced. Also drink lots and lots of water, I think I was on about 3 litres per day! Clomid is a dose of progesterone I think and other hormones to make you ovulate. I OVed around CD16 but it can make you OV much later, even after your CD21 bloods, so keep at it! We BDed from CD7 to CD24 every other day without fail!! I had a little bit of EWCM but I really couldn't tell when I OVed for sure, only the blood test confirmed it for me after I'd got my BFP!

I really hope it works its magic for you sweetie. And keep the PMA up too. I worked really hard this month on my Zita West visualisation, you know imagining the sperm travelling and imagining them meeting the egg etc. I really think it helped me to relax a little, stay positive, and the result speaks for itself!

Good luck!!

S xx

P.S I think the transvaginal scan might be used for follicle tracking if the bladder's not full properly or they need to get a closer look. When I had my PCOS scan I was so lucky that I'd filled my bladder perfectly so she didn't need to use the camera vibrator! Thank goodness!! xx
  • Options
    How annoying! I just typed a reply and BE ate it!!

I was just saying that I am clomid biggest fan as it worked first proper time round for me so I hope it does the same for you! You will feel rubbish with it so drink plenty of water and I also had acupuncture to help balance out the side effects. I think it's a mega dose of ovarian stimulant hormones to make them work properly! Side effects I had included hot flashes, terrible bloating, headaches, tiredness, and bad skin.

I also BDed every other day from CD7 to CD24 as clomid can make you OV later. As it was, I OVed around CD16 and I only had 21 day bloods and no follicle tracking. I think they might use the transvaginal scan to get a close look at the ovaries, but don't panic if you don't have it. A 21 day blood test will tell you if you have OVed, but if you remember Looby Lou she OVed after this and got her BFP so it's not always accurate!

I really wish you all the best of luck. It turned out to be the miracle drug for me and I am keeping everything crossed it does the same for you sweetie. Stay positive. I worked hard on my Zita West visualisation this month too and I think it helped me to stay calm and keep the dream in sight!

Big hugs and a truckload of babydust

S xx
  • Options
    This is very annoying!! I have written two posts and I think they are there but I don't know if you can see them!! Gremlins are at work!!

Tiny T, drop me an email if you have any questions and I am keeping everything crossed that the clomid works for you first time round. It really is a little piece of magic!

S xx
  • Options
    Thank you Sarah!

I am just worried as i don't know what it feel's like or what symptoms tell me i have or am ovulating image

I do have a clear blue fertility monitor and i will just have to frisk my hubby every night, haha.... not that he'd object either!

Fingers crossed i get the clomid!!!!!

xoxoxoxox

• Options
    Hi Tiny.T
    I've had one round of Clomid so far and had follicle tracking, but it depends on the hospital etc. The follicle tracking I've had is the internal scan, I've had to have them so many times with having had PCOS for years it really doesn't bother me now!

Good luck, hope you get your Clomid.
  • Options
    Hi Tiny T - I use clearblue ov stick - and always got a BFP when OV was due. I did get a BFP on a pg stick on my 2nd round of the clomid working but unfortunatley it was ectopic - that was a year ago - and I'm now on my way to IVF - however my point is the ov sticks worked for me fine on clomid. As did checking my cm for the first few months - but the higher the dose the more your cm dries up so you might want to use pre-seed lubricant to help the swimmers through the cervix.

Hope that helps a bit hun.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Hon,

I wrote to sanguine the other day but it sort of applies here, the thread is currently over on the first page, for some reason i cant copy and paste! (Her thread is all about clomid too)

Also I was scanned by "dildo cam" on the first round to check I wasnt over responding, and then had 21 day bloods for the 2nd cycle but nothing since as they say i am responding fine, and i have no reason to think otherwise, as I can physically feel the eggs growing, and af arrives everymonth, anyway have a read of the other thread, but if you want to know any specifics just let me know,

Good luck

Gem x