Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO Kayecee

Hiya Kayecee,
Hope you're doing well.
Just wondered if you can give me any advice, hope or ressurance about my hubbie's s/a. I know you mentioned your hubbie's second s/a was worse than the first and I just wondered how MUCH worse and what your cons said about this? (if you don't mind me asking...)
I have posted separately about hubbie's numbers but basically they have changed and motility was a problem in the second s/a along with agglutination. Am getting really worried as it said on the results form that IVF was recommended. My hubbie still being positive and saying we just need to keep trying and not do anything drastic, but I'm so impatient and just want to get on with IVF if that's what we need. But obviosuly the ??4000 cost is a bit off-putting!
Cheers for any help you can offer xx
ps have told him about you and your hubbie to try to lift his spirits as I think he's secretly quite upset x

Replies

• Options
    Hi TBD! I just replied on your other thread actually. I can't help with the agglutination as that's not something that was mentioned. My hubby had low motility (7%) and low morhpology (25% I think) back in June and count was borderline at 22ml and in his second test in July (so he only had about 7 weeks or so between tests) most figures were about the same but count had gone down to 15ml. The consultant said that while SAs have to be done, and they're done in the most effective manner available the artificiality of the collection of the sample cannot ever be a true reflection of what's going on.

I am impatient too and (particularly after being told that we wouldn't conceive naturally) we were anticipating our appt last week to get the ball rolling on IVF. It's a tricky one because of course it could happen naturally (we are proof of that, as I'm sure many others are) but it's whether you wait indefinitely for that? Maybe compromise and say 'okay, if no BFP in 3 or 6 months then we start'.

I know how your hubby feels - mine was the same (of course now he thinks the Dr mixed his sample up and that he actually has super sperm!). We did start him on Zita West's vitamens (they have everything in them) and he stopped taking antibiotics that he'd been on for a year or so (despite the GP saying that wouldn't affect fertility). Not sure whether any / both of these had an influence.

I hope I've helped a little bit xxxx
  • Options
    Hi kaycee what are the vits you put you hubby on?
  • Options
    Hiya kayecee, Thanks so much for that. It does help! It's such a hard choice isn't it....we could carry on and be waiting forever for it to happen naturally. Or we could get on with IVF, spend all that money, and it may have happened naturally. Or it may not work anyway.
    My hubbie has been really angry with me last night and this morning. I really don't know how to be supportive to him, as I'm struggling too. And watching him continue to smoke and not really do anything helpful to our situation is just infuriating. Feeling very low in the PMA department today! Thanks for your help hon.

mrssmith, I had a thread on 'aglutination' before and gemsicles (I think) posted a really useful list of vits which I think were from the Zita West book. I will bump that post up for you to have a look. I believe kayecee is referring to the zita west vitamins that you can get on her website. They're pretty expenisve but may be worth a go. Does your hubbie have sperm 'issues' as well? xx
  • Options
    The vitamins are on Zita West's webiste and are for male fertility (they're called 'vitamens'). They basically include everything that she lists in her book as being crucial for male fertility. I started buying them all individually and it cost a fortune and took up a lot of room! These are 18 quid for a month's supply (3 a day). You order them online and they arrive within a day or two.

TBD - it is frustrating, isn't it? My hubby doesn't smoke but he does like a beer and that was always our sticking point. Really sorry to hear you are feeling down. HAve you thought about accupuncture? We both started having this. It has been proven that it can improve male fertility. Might be worth a look x
  • Options
    Drives me insane kayecee! I have mentioned acupuncture and he wasn't too thrilled about me doing it let alone him! Sorry to seem like I'm chucking all your ideas back at you.....I'm not and if I was him I WOULD be doing all these things, but he won't do them and I can't make him. Just not sure how to get the message through to him without pressurising him. I think I have to do what you, him, and everyone else in the world is saying and JUST RELAX!!! Better read my PMA list again today I think... xx
    ps might try those vitamens....he takes wellman at the moment. When I looked they didn't seem too different for the extra money but anything worth a try. Bit worried about him having to take 3 pills though as don't think he'd do that either!
  • Options
    Oh I had to remind (that meas nag!). I made sure he took one before work and before dinner and then I put some into a different jar so that he had a supply with him at work so he could take one at lunchtime! x
  • Options
    Hmm I will have a think....maybe I can convince him to do that. To me, it's like...'would you rather take a few vitamins each day, stop smoking, and be generally a bit healthier.....or pay thousands and thousands of pounds for IVF?' It's a no-brainer, but I guess maybe not so simple when you're the one having to make the changes. x