Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Horrible AF after HSG... may be TMI

Apologies in advance for the TMI but sometimes it's the only way....

AF arrived a couple of days ago. The first day was really light, but the second day it was as if my entire AF came in literally a couple of hours. It quite literally just gushed out all in one go and completely soaked through a pad (really sorry, I did warn you!). I have never had this before, and after that it tailed off and became light again.

Has anyone who has had an HSG had a similar AF afterwards? Could it be the HSG that caused this to happen?

Thanks ladies... x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Angelfish,
    Please try not to worry. I've had virtually no AFs in almost 12 months but had a hycosy (slightly different technique to a HSG) which gave me (TMI)a heavy brown discharge for days.

It sounds like your body is flushing the dye and chemical solution out. I think your better to keep using pads as opposed to tampax.

They do warn you after hycosy (and I'm assuming HSG) that you can get various kinds of spotting and discharge. They told me just o monitor it and if anything became smelly or infection-like to go to the GP.

Hope this helps xx
  • Options
    Hi Angelfish,

Try not to worry as mine was exactly the same after HSG- I even had some breakthrough bleeding on Day 17 which was sort of like a mini-period, and then my full one was a little bit late but very heavy. I think it kind of does flush you out....
  • Options
    Hi Angelfish, poor you!!! What a time you are having of it. I am dreading it as i will have to get the same thing if my clomid doesn't kick start my ovaries this cycle. This is my 3rd round and my two previous ones failed :cry:

Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    Thanks for reassuring me ladies, was a bit of a shock but hopefully all normal x
  • Options
    Eeeeek I'm having a HSG in a couple weeks time so I'll def not panic now if this happens to me....Will make sure am stocked up on pads too xxx

Can I ask - did thr HSG hurt? I've heard it stings as the dye goes thru you? xx
  • Options
    To those of you worrying about hsg, mine didn't hurt at all (and I forgot to take pain killers) and I only had a little bit of clear stuff (presuming dye?) come out after - no pain or blood. I think everyone's different but try not to worry - mine was less painful than a smear.
    Hope you're feeling better Angelfish.x
  • Options
    I agree it was less painful than a smear just a bit uncomfortable. I had a bit of period-type pain afterwards and a sort of af but it wasn't too bad during. I didn't take painkillers either xx
  • Options
    Phew - thanx for putting my mind at rest ladies x
  • Options
    Hi Angelfish,
    Oh dear, I'm sorry you had this! I've had a similar thing before and it terrified me at the time, though once the bleeding stopped I was OK. I really appreciate you posting as I had HSG last week and I shall be prepared for next AF to be heavy! As someone else said, I shall also stock up on towels...

I hope you feel better soon!
    xx
  • Options
    Smileycat - hoep your hsg was ok, and yes, probably best to be prepared for an ultra-heavy AF!

To everyone else who is concerned - the hsg itself didn't hurt a bit. The only problem for me is that they couldn't get the dye to go up one tube so they got me moving about from left to right on the bed and I have to say it did start hurting a bit then. Unfortunately it was all in vain and looks like I have a blocked tube. But the procedure itself was ok, just very light AF-type cramps.

Good luck with yours McMummyTTC x