Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Story so far..Quite long!!(moonbeam - answers ur question)

Hi girls,

I'm on the site most evenings but i'm not as big a poster as I used to be. I sometimes find it hard to put into words what I'm feeling or thinking as most of the time I'm in tears reading the posts through self pity and also knowing that so many of us are going through the same things.

I was originally on LTTC because I have endometriosis diagnosed and treated with laser during an investigative laporoscopy in August 2007. I had another operation in October 2008 and this time I had my endo excised as opposed to lasered off. The op seems to be quite successful as I have lass pain but i think that may also be down to the fact that I have discovered if i keep myself regular - if you know what i mean!! my pain isn't as bad and intercourse doesn't hurt as much!

Have been back to my consultant in december and he was going to review me again in June if I hadn't conceived but having been to my GP she persuaded me to phone the secretary and ask for an earlier appointment. The reason I asked for an earlier appointment was that my cycles are all over the place. My last six cycles have been 38, 39, 38, 34, 41 and I'm in line for a 35 day cycle this time.

I have been using a CBFM and it does give me a peak each month exactly 14 days before my AF is due. I went to my consultant again - turned out to be his Registrar - on thursday past (19th). Even tho I told him about my CBFM he said any cycle that is over 34/35 days it is unlikely that ovulation has occured. He says that I am having a surge but not enough to push an egg out. So i am not ovulating!! Told him my GP was keen for Clomid. He went next door to speak to my consultant and then my consultant came into see me. He said yes i am anovulatory.

Plan of action - i have to have an HSG before he will give me clomid. waiting list oh about 2 or 3 months for the HSG!

After that he still won't give me the clomid, he says I'll have to wait to be seen at the Regional Fertility Clinic in Belfast (which is about 40 miles from me)as they will have to monitor me closely to ensure the right dose is given. The only thing is I have to wait to have the HSG and then after that wait to the results are given to the clinic and then wait for them to contact me with an appointment. The registrar reckons it could be up to a year before i even get an initial consultation with them.

Have cried a lot of the weekend and I just want all this to happen now - I know I am being impatient and I know that a lot of you have been trying longer than us (we've been trying since November 2007) but i just want a baby so much. It is all I have ever dreamt about since i was a young girl. I know I should be grateful that the ball is in motion but its so hard.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to get it off my chest to see if it would help me feel better about things. Thanks for listening/reading!!

Thanks girls.

Em
xx

Replies

• Options
    Awww - I guess the good thing is that the GP pushed for things to happen at least now because of that, things are happening quicker than they would have been. I know how much the pain of wanting a baby hurts, but you do have goals to focus on now, so you are in a better position than you were before. I think in the situation we're in, thats what you have to do, take things one step at a time and move from one goal onto the next. With each thing that gets ticked off, youre closer to becoming a Mum....and youve just got one step closer after seeing your consultant last time, with a new focus now.
    Good luck with everything and keep us posted on how youre feeling if you can
    xxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks Popsicle - you've set me off again!!! I was on another site this evening directed by Google may I add!! Honest I haven't been cheating on Baby Expert!!! But there was a whole thread on how crap the Regional Fertility Clinic is and how awful the staff are and how uncaring and you're just a number to them. It really shook me and made me cry even more. Just want to go to sleep and wake up when it's my turn!!!! My poor DH doesn't know what to do with me!!!

Em
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Emerald, wanted to ask can you not just ask to be referred straight to belfast. I live just outside it so it is prob the hos that would be closest to me, I was talking to sec and she said it is 13 weeks for actual fert clinic. I am attending gynae initiative which I think is the pre fertility - they act on a letter sent in from your GP? Could this be an avenue to go down? I think they will conduct tests themselves too? Would be worth asking as if you are going to go there any way why not just get it all done there? I waited 6 weeks for my first appt. Had bloods taken for hormone levels to check for age of ovaries etc and swabs of cervix- actually does any one know why they done this, smears are up to date and was on AF so dont think it was a smear? I alos work with a girl who has bad endo (got a hyst last year) and was veyr impressed with the Royal, she also knew a girl suffered bad from it and had 2 kids through treatment there? Go to GP and push as if they are the centre of excellence, lets be honest the Royal is for most things!!! Its neo natal for whole of NI too, then it may be would be better to go direct?

Does this make sense as its very long!!!!!!!

Sorry your having a tough weekend too mrs I'm sure you will have seen I made a drunken post last night and embarrassed myself, joke of it is I'm not a big drinker, you'd be lucky to get me out once a month!!!!!!!!!! Hope this will help, let me know if your GP can help, also if you want to exchange emails may be would be useful I could give you the numbers I use there the girls were really lovely to me as I had about a million questions!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm currently being seen by a gynae consultant in Antrim so I'm gonna phone tomorrow and see if they have my referral for the HSG and push for a date soon.

What stage are you at in the referral process? What tests have you had, have you had a lap and dye or HSG? Clomid or anything?

Em
    xx
  • Options
    I'm at the very start of the process I was referred to the Royal but not their actual fertility treatment so wonder if it is the equivilant of the department you see in Antrim?? On month 15 of ttc have had one set of 21 day bloods, 2 weeks ago had 1-5 day bloods and swabs?? have to go next week for further 21 dya bloods and then oh to go for sa on 30th then book another appt, see him then and I'm not too sure what will happen next? I'll prob be torturing you for advice. let me knowhow you got on today with the phone calls xx
  • Options
    Hi Moonbeam,

Sooo happy!!! Phoned the Xray department and they said there isn't actually a waiting list I just have to phone on CD1 and they will book me in between CD6 and 10 as long as they have received my referral letter which they hadn't yet so i got my mum (can't make private calls at work)to phone the consultants secretary and she said she couldn't understand why xray didn't have my referral as they are normally sent down straight away. She then checked my file and lo and behold there was my referral so it was a good bloody job I got my mum to call or I would have been waiting for ever!!! To cut a long story short she sent down my referral today and my expected CD1 is next Tuesday so I'm very excited!!!!

My DH has had a SA and we got word back to say that his Sperm Mobility Index was of good quality but the registrar says that doesn't really tell him anything about the number or quality of DH's boyos whereas when the consultant came in to speak to me he was under the impression that the SA had come back fine!! Had day 26 bloods and it came back at 1.5 for progesterone but i knew i hadn't ovulated by then anyway cuz I had a 41 day cycle.

I would say we are around about the same kind of mth of TTC - since Nov07 and I would say the department that i am seeing in Antrim is the equivalent of who you are seeing in the Royal although I doubt if I'll see my consultant in Antrim again as he has referred me on to the Regional Fertility Clinic to see Prof McClure in the Royal as soon as I get my HSG results. So glad the ball is roling for both of us.
    What do you do for a living?

Em
    xx
  • Options
    Hey Emerald

Just crashing in to say welcome back - glad you are feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed everything goes well with the upcoming tests and clomid.
  • Options
    YEAH YEAH!!!! It just shows you, you are better to ring and check up as people are not perfect and can make mistakes really glad for you xxxx Can I ask what should your prog be at day 26??? ALl knew to me!!! LOL

So happy for you what a refief after thinking you had to wait all this time. I was told that once you get referred to fertility clinic it is a 13 week wait but I do think you are allowed to phone and check for cancellations??? Something I would prob do!!!! LOL

I'm going for day 21 bloods in a week. WHen you put on there that you had been trying since nov 2007 i was thinking you were trying before me as it seems so long ago but you are spot on it was end nov we started!!! Time does fly when your having fun NOT!!!!!!

I'm a teacher and work in Belfast, what about you?

Its nice to have some one on going to same hos in stuff and we can directly compare etc, hopefully I'll be getting referred too in the next month or so xxx
  • Options
    Hi JJenko - it's actually really good to be back. I feel like i have a purpose on here again - originally it was symptom spotting, spotting AF signs etc and then I kind of lost touch for a while because there was nothing that i could relate to anymore. Then this Forum opened but still I didn't feel i had a lot to say as i was at stale mate. But now I'm back and the ball is rolling and I feel i can contribute again!!!

Moonbeam - I called Antrim today and the secretary told me that my referral to the Regional Clinic has been typed and is just waiting for a signature! This means that my referral will be with the Royal and I'll get onto the waiting list even before my HSG is done!! Its gonna cut down the waiting time - maybe only by a couple of weeks but its still better than nothing!

And the even better news is that there is a new legislation - well its be in for a year or two - that any gynae referral has to be seen in 13weeks!! I couldn't quite believe it so I phoned the Royal and the receptionist told me that i would def be seen in 13weeks!! And my 13weeks will start probably this week when the referral is sent!!!! Such a relief now that things are under way!!

Em
    xx
  • Options
    How fab and good to know!!!!!!! I was thinking myself I have to go back after my oh has his sa but we have teh date for this so do you think if I rang to pre book an appointmet they would do this? THe norm is 6 weeks once they get the results but if I phone I could cut down the time too, may be book in for 2 weeks after so as to give time for results to get back?

Do you know what we get in NI re IVE etc do we get a free go?
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure but i have a friend who made it to the top of the list and then didn't go through with it, I'll ask her and let you know.

Em
    xx