Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ICSI/ IVF what to expect

I was hoping if anyone had time they would let me know about side effects...

Did you have any and if so at what stage. Am most worried about mood swings and depression and was there anything you did to remedy this?

Am starting down regulation on december 18th so I should be well into hormonal trauma over the festive season. Can I expect to have a hissy fit over dry turkey/ possession of the remote control/being made to play parlour games???? :\? :x

It sounds trivial I was a little worried about weight gain. I really struggle anyway as I have PCOS and I don't want to add on extra inches as that has a negative effect on the condition and general fertility.

I would welcome your experience if these questions are not too personal
XXX

Replies

• Options
    JJ, your worries are the exact same thing i have have about IVF - weight gain, mood swings, depression....

Haven't been through IVF so can't really help, sorry..

Best advice is: Are you on FertilityFriends?? have a look at this link at their diaries http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=165.0

There are loads of other chit chat and regional boards etc etc... they are pretty friendly (not as nice as on here tho, he he)
    xx
  • Options
    Hey thanks booo

I will check out the fertility friends link...Lets hope you get a huge BFP after your procedure and don't need IVF.
    But if you do will be happy to detail symptoms etc
    XX
  • Options
    Thanks Mrs Amanda
    Had heard dread stories of someone putting on 3 stone. I think it would take me a decade to loose that!!
    It was the down regging I was worried about as I don't want to ruin Christmas for the family by acting like a moody teenager.
    My husband made me laugh when I asked if he would help with the injections. The response was 'what like the cows'. From a long line of cattle farmers, sweet but not my favourite analogy.
    Hope the side effects do not include mooing.
    Thanks for the advice much appreciated
  • Options
    Hi Jenko..... Good Luck with your IVF Cycle. There are alot of horrow stories. I am in my 2ww of IVF and am due to test on Friday. SO I made it thru.

There are different kinds of meds and it all depends on what your RE works with. Thie is my cycle...

Oct.. 7 - AF
    Oct.. 11-31 - BCP
    Oct. 26 - 225u Lupron Inj. (I injected on front thigh daily)
    Nov. 6 - AF
    Nov. 8 (I beleive) 225u Follistum (also on thigh)
    US/ scan every 2-3 days
    Nov 18 - 11pm HCG shot in outer butt
    Nov. 20 ER (17 follies but only retreived 4 eggs.)
    4 Mature eggs only 2 Fertilzed.
    Nov. 22 - 1ml POI daily
    Nov. 23 - 3dt of 2 eggs. (1 was 8cell grade A- and the other was 5 cell grade B.)
    Nov. 27 - 2 Vivelle Dot patches every 3 days. and still on 1ml POI

As of today I am on 10dp3dt and my PG test is on Dec. 5.

As for the meds.... BCP had no effect and Lupron I had no efffect.
    Follistum shots tend to burn alittle when injecting but nothing bad. But since those are the stims, I began to get bloated pretty fast. But since I am a pretty have girl, u couldnt see the difference I could just feel it.
    ER I was put to sleeep, but I was very sore the day of and moderate sore for about 4 days after. I was able to lay on my back but not on my sides cuz then i felt the pain in lower stomach.

ET was a peice of cake... but u want to stay in bed after for sure the day of and at least a day after.

These POI are a little more painful to the injection are. It feels bruised all the time.

It is the 2ww that is the more tortureos. FOr a few days I have been feeling so awful. Nasuea, headache, hungrier, urinating more, sor enipps, and I do feel bloated on my lower belly. My jeans fit tight now... I can button them but it tends to feel sore after a bit so I just keep them unbuttoned and I tie a rubberband thru the loop. ... and I don't know if it has to do with the POI or if I am PG. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks, oh I mean 2 days, but each day sure feels like a week.G

As for the mood swings... It wasnt a nightmare like they made it seam. I think everyone responds different. I think I was more emotional than angry. Right now I am going thru mood swings, more now than when zI was on stims. And still dont know if I should blame POI or PG.

As for the POI injections, my DH was supposed to be doing them... but when he first tried and I saw his hand was shaking, I got more scared... what I do now is have him draw a cicle with pen or marker on a daily basis and I inject myself. I stand in front of a mirror and just some advice, rub some ICE on site before... it will help alot, Anyway, I stand in front of the mirror and basically I inject within the circle. Ive gotten use to it.

As for a Link... I also go on the following one.. and I love it. I have learned alot from it....

www.ivf-infertility.com

Good Luck with youor cycle. It will all be worth it at the end.

Good luck with your IVF treatment.
  • Options
    Hi - haven't posted on this forum before - in fact, haven't posted on ttc for ages either!

Anyway, I am starting my down reg injections this saturday, so I can keep you updated on side effects... I'm really dreading it - came home from the clinic the other day with a big bag FULL of syringes and needles - I went a bit funny just having my blood test done the other week, so I'm in big trouble...!! As for mood swings over Christmas - I'm dreading that too - and I was a bit gutted when I realised I wouldn't be able to drink anything at all - and its my 30th birthday just after christmas as well! :\(

We are having ICSI - is that what you're having? Hubby had vasectomy reversal 18 months ago and it has failed - so this is our only option.
    Wishing you lots of luck xx
  • Options
    lady J
    Thank you and I cannot say how much I am wishing that everything is leading up to the BFP tomorrow. I am dreading the test day!!!!

Is BCP= birth control pill or something else?
    Am guessing POI is a progesterone

It sounds like the progesterone phase is the worst and am thinking the ice cube idea is a great one

I will check out the link

All the very very best
    JJ
  • Options
    Hi EL 2712

I am starting down regulation on the 18th of December and we are having ICSI. So I am not too far behind you.
    Well I am with you about having to go on a detox before and during Christmas & New Year... Your 30th birthday as well you poor thing. It will also be our first wedding anniversary between Christmas and new year too. I think Mr Jenko will struggle with the detox.
    How does it work for your husband - does he have to have a procedure too then?
    Am ok with the needle thing I think. The thing that I absolutely dread is getting a negative test at the end as this seems like our only chance. We are self funding and I have no idea where we would get the money for another ICSI cycle.
    Will have to think of some coping strategies - these will include a very large glass of wine!!!
    keeping my fingers crossed for you

X
    X

[Modified by: J-Jenko on December 04, 2008 10:56 AM]

• Options
    Yes, hubby has to have a surgical retrieval - which he's not looking forward to, but it won't be as bad as the reversal was. At least it means I'll get some empathy - he's having it done on the same day as my egg collection so we can be sore together!! We're self funding too - its ended up being twice as much as we initially thought, partly because of the surgical retrieval, but we're really hoping to get enough to freeze and some embryos to freeze too, just in case, and hopefully not have to pay for the whole process again. Fingers crossed...

Its our first anniversary too - on 27th! image I really shouldn't forget that bit - so much going on...

I'll join you in that glass of wine - I'm def havin one tonight while I still can!!! DH has decided that I'm going to be designated driver for the next six weeks... (and hopefully for another nine months after too!!) Keep positive - we could be mummys this time next year!! image
    xx
  • Options
    hi all
    I too think we're heading for the ICSI (just from our own internet research) so it is good to hear what you are already going through. I am ovulating fine, but my OH has low sperm morphology / concentration. We are just waiting for our referral to the fertility clinic following the results of all our tests. I will read with interest how you all get on. xx
  • Options
    Hey El2712 -
    Am getting the 2712 bit of your name now!! Were you on YAYW in the december forum at all. Must admit I didn't post a lot but I got some great advice. Was a bit of a last minute gal - still making orders of service etc over christmas

Am feeling positive today - think it was just my visit to the nurse where we went through the very poor statistics for my age group (39) and the side effects.
    Still am drinking loads of water etc and taking the vitamins so going to give it a really good try
    Have a great weekend
  • Options
    Grace 9
    Hi - am hoping you get a BFP before the IVF but am sure I will be waffling on here for quite a while. If I can be of any help just shout and the other ladies are lovely
    XX
  • Options
    Hi J-Jenko

Hope you're still feeling positive! Did my first injection this morning - flippin ouch! Actually putting the needle in was fine but it burns when you put the stuff in - and then my leg went all red and itchy and sore for about quarter of an hour. Is fine now though - bit of swelling where it went in but thats all, so I'm very relieved thats the first one out of the way - think the thought of it is worse than the actual event!! I'll let you know if and when I turn into a three headed monster...

el
    xx
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to say - clicked on submit without thinkin... No, I was never on YAYW - didn't discover forums til this one... I can't believe its nearly a year ago now though - seems like we've always been married (in a good way, of course!!!):lol:
    xx
  • Options
    El
    Glad to hear it wasn't as traumatic as you thought. Sometimes the anticipation is worse than actually doing it. How about trying the ice cube trick recommended by others to numb the area in advance.
    Take care
  • Options

Hi Friends,

I would first like to wisha u all  the very best and also advice to be positive. My report was good after taking injections for 5 days( 2 injections each day), some how i missed my 6 th day injections which were increased to 3 injections each day... Doc got edistriol test done to check if all is fine... luckily the report was good again... Tomorrow is the collection day and I have started experiencing the difference. I tend to forget things and get scared..in other words I would say not feeeling too confident about my self.. although I am tring to keep my cool. This has never happened before & I guess I will be fine soon. 

Just hoping for the best as my total follicles till now are 17+ but don't know how many eggs will be retrieved and how many of them gets matured... 

Not keeping high hopes but yes internally expecting a little too much than I should.. I shall keep you posted if I experience something really funny...BUT, as of now all I need is ur wishes.. its been 11 years that I am trying..

Wish u all the best again !

xxx