Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Had our first Hospital Appointment

Well, we had our first hospital appointment today. We had already had our bloods done and hubby's SA. The Dr was happy with my blood tests for ovulation and estrogen levels but hubby's SA wasn't good (which we knew). So hubby has to do another test in the next couple of weeks or so and I have to have a Hycosy just to make sure all is well with my tubes. Dr also did another smear test on me to test for chlamydia (apparently they like to have that done before they do a Hycosy).

I have to ring on the first day of my period next week to try and arrange the Hycosy and we have an appointment in 8 weeks time with the Dr again to go through everything. She said that unless hubby's next SA showed significant changes its very likely we are on the road to IVF. Its not preferable, but at least we are getting somewhere.

We are in Colchester and I don't know what the waiting times are, but as its been less than 6 weeks since I first went to the Dr's surgery to talk about being unable to conceive and we've already had our first hospital appointment, I'm hopeful that means that they are relatively quick moving.

Good luck ladies. :\)

Replies

• Options
    Hi hon, at least the ball is rolling.

What were your hubbys SA results, do you mind me asking? That's the problem our end too.. more specifically the morphology.

I've had all my tests now Hycosy included and all was ok, we're to keep trying, DH to re-do his SA and go back in Dec (although I'm hoping we'll have a BFP by then)!

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Lougla - your situation sounds exactly like ours (we're in Braintree but being treated at St Johns in Chelmsford). Apparently, there are regulations that mean you need to have your first referral appt in 5 weeks. You are very lucky to get the next one fir 8 weeks later. After our initial appt in July we were given a next appt of 25th Nov! I paid to have my HSG dne privately and because of that the cunsultant's secretary bought our appt forward to Aug (I explained that I didn't want to waste the 300 odd quid if it wasn't going to move things along at all!).

We were also told that if DH's second SA (which he did yesterday) is the same that we would be referred for IVF. His issue is motility and (to a lesser extent) morphology. Looks like we could be travelling this path at the same time! X
  • Options
    Hi there ladies, yes its mostly down to the motility for us. I have done some reading up and apparently Essex is a very good county for funding and IVF so fingers crossed.

Orange Pants, hubby's SA was 10% motility (even though he is younger than me, doesn't really drink, doesn't smoke, isn't overweight). I think also my age is spurring them along as I'm 36 and we have been trying for over 2 years.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the Hycosy appointment this month, if not at least next.
  • Options
    My hubby's was 7% so very similar. Were you given any advice on how to improve it? Our consultatnt said there's was nothing we could do (not sure whether ethically they aren't allowed to suggest alternative treatment / vitamins?). As it is, we've started vitamins and accunpuncture. Just got to try and get him to stay off the beer now...Fingers crossed for the hycosy x
  • Options
    Well she didn't really go into much detail but did give him a list of vitamins which are supposed to help (most of which he already takes), but I think as she could tell looking at him and from his answers, that he's already doing most of what they recommend so maybe that's why they didn't say much. I actually felt guilty when he answered about not drinking much as he's really cut back and its me who drinks heavier out of the two of us (but by no means as heavy as I did when I was say in my 20s).

Its all a rollercoaster isn't it .. no right or wrong answers out there at all.

Good luck to you all.
  • Options
    Good luck Lougla... glad they moved so quickly for you!!
    xx
  • Options
    I know. We are struggling with cutting alcohol out completely. It's our only 'vice' and we really like going out at the weekends with friends and that normally involves eating and drinking! I'm tempted to be drastic and abstain completely but I'm really worried we'll be comprimisng such a big part of our lifestyle. There's nothing to say that it would work and we may just end up resenting the situation even more. We've made a rod for our own backs. If we went to dinner and BOTH ordered sparkling water it would be completely unheard of! It is indeed a rollercoaster and like you say, there are no real answers x
  • Options
    Hi Lougla and co! Sounds like we're also in a similar situation. I have had progesterone test, chlamydia test, smear and they were all fine. Hubbie's s/a results were 'borderline' (i.e. only JUST within the normal limits / just below) but he had agglutination as well (which means the sperm clump together and don't swim properly). I now have to get a hycosy, and like kayecee will probably end up paying the ??300 to have it done privately, otherwise I think we will be waiting a LONG time! Could do without spending the money but am sooo impatient. Hubbie has to have another s/a which is booked for a couple of weeks' time. And I have to have day 2-5 blood test. Then we go back to meet consultant for the first time in Sep.
    Gemsicles posted a list of vitamins on my agglutination thread which was really helpful, and her hubbie had amazing results with them - can't remember if motility increased or not, but if you have a look she has put all the number son there.
    I have also had similar wiaiting times to you, but was quite impressed as I was preparing myself (begrudgingly) for a possible very long waiting list. Anyone have any idea how long waiting lists are for treatment if that's needed? I think we'd have to go private anyway as you have to be 36 in my area to get IVF and that's 9 yrs away for me! Definitiely won't have the patience to wait that long before even trying....
    Good luck with his second s/a and your hycosy...sounds like we'll be having them at similar times. Hopefully we won't need to go back to our consultants at all!! Wishful thinking??! x