Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I've got high FSH levels

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this site. We got married last June and been TTC since then, I know it probably dosen't seem very long, but I've been using my CBFM for the last couple of months and was just convinced that it was going to happen for us- but it hasn't yet! I actually work as a midwife and one of the doctors at work who I spoke to in confidence suggested that I have some of my hormone levels checked, if they were all ok then I would have been happy just to be patient and keep on trying!

Anyway this week on day 3 of my cycle I had my blood taken, yesterday the results came back which I checked whilst at work and found that my FSH level is really high. The normal range is up to 10, mine was 38, which puts me in the menopausal range- I'm only 32! I've been searching on the net and found that this basically means that my ovarian reserve is really low and I'm probably not ovulating as I don't have many eggs left!

I saw my GP this morning who wasn't really much help and she's referred me to a Consultant who I will see on Monday evening. I'm just in shock really and can't believe that I'm potentially facing a situation that I've always dreaded- that I may not beable to have a baby. My DH has been lovely and positive, but I'm just so scared.

Are any of you in the same situation, or know anything about this??? I just want to know that maybe there is some hope that there's something they can do

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hazelnut
    I am so sorry. Cold comfort but at least you can see the consultant quickly as having all those thoughts and questions whirling for weeks would be even worse. Have you got anything to distract yourself with the is weekend. Sorry I don't have any experience at all of low ovarian reserve.
    there may be other options ? like IVF.
    Thank goodness you thought to consult your colleague as you could have carried on for months
    Please let us know how you get on and I am sorry I could not help at all
    JJ
    X

[Modified by: J-Jenko on January 30, 2009 11:34 AM]

• Options
    Thanks so much for replying JJ. I know I'm grateful I haven't got to wait very long, but from what I've been reading in the internet, it's not going to be good news from the Consultant. But I'll let you know how I get on xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hazlenut. I am ttc but well into my 40's now. i too have got high fsh levels and the last test showed me at 56! The doctor said that it stated early menopause confirmed but fertile cycles could not be discounted so that was quite hopeful. If it helps, it could be that your hormones are just fluctuating. In April 2006, i had an fsh level of 96 and then in September that year i fell pg so it must have swung back again. Sadly, i miscarried but i never give up hope.

I wish you well with your ttc, i am going to a fertility clinic soon to see what they can do for an old bird like me! lol. That's a point, perhaps i should change my name to old bird!!!!

Good luck, lots of love, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks Bluebird, it's such a stressful time isn't it. Conceiving a baby is meant to be the most natural thing in the world, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. I hope it is as you say- that my hormones are just fluctuating and that they'll settle back down! Wishful thinking!

Wishing you lots of luck with your fertlity clinic appt, hope all goes well for you.

H x
  • Options
    Hazelnut, im so sorry about your recent news. I do find GPs quite useless, so it great that he's referred you to the Cons.. plus you got a really quick appt!!
    Best of luck on Monday, let us know how it goes hun... hopefully they can help you get that BFP soon. Stay positive....xx
  • Options
    Thank you Boo x

Off out tonight with DH for a few glasses of wine and nice meal to take my mind off it all!