Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Private treatment?

Hello girlies,

(gatecrashing from TTC after miscarriage)

Just wondering if anyone has experience of getting private consultations when ttc? We've now had one miscarriage at 10 weeks and a chemical pregnancy. I read that miscarriages at 8 weeks or so can be caused by clotting problems and that it can be helpful for women to take aspirin. I mentioned this to my doctor and he was dismissive so I thought I'd like a second opinion and to talk about other possibilities.

I have no idea where to start and how much it'll cost, but I can't face the idea of getting to 10 weeks and losing yet another baby if there's a simple solution. I know that chances are that we were unlucky (twice!) and that there's no underlying cause to it but if we are missing something then I don't want to wait to find out image

Has anyone else had any private treatments or consultations? Was it worth it? How did you go about it?

Thanks in advance for your help ladies image

Becky

Replies

• Options
    YES YES YES!!!! Oh God yes!!!

I know how you feel hun! When I was first diagnosed with PCOS - I was referred to the Fertility Clinic at the local hospital - it took 6 weeks to see some jumped up Nurse - who spent TWO HOURS asking questiong to my OH - yet he'd been tested (his swimmers) and they were "super sperm". We didn't even get on to questioning me when she said thats all for today I can book your next appointment in....SIX WEEKS!!! I was furious! Then she wrote up our notes and sent them through and it was just awful what she put!

Anyway I soon found on the net a private Gyane - who was about an hours drive away - I spent TEN minutes with him and he perscribed Clomid - and my OH wasn't even there!!!! So stress free!!!

Then I fell pg - but unfortunately it was ectopic - unknown at the time - I spent SEVEN weeks going through hell with the NHS hosptial/walkin centre/ NHS helpline/A&E and seeing a different doctor every time I went to the ward for scans and blood tests - and biposy. When I called my private gyane - I went in to see him - he wouls of taking me in for an op straight away and he couldn't understand why they did the biopsy etc (which at the time I felt like a guinea pig because it was a trainee with a consultant oooing and ahhhing at my lady bits whilst doing stuff up there!!!).

So my private doc took me in for a lap and dye - made sure no blockages etc - the cost was about ??2000 - but when he was in there he removed stuff from my ovary (which is where the pregnancy was not in the tube). But it was worth it! Then he prescribed me another few months of clomid - they didn't work and I'm now going for IVF in the new year - but again I'm doing this private - and it's worth it - they are so much nicer and understanding!!!

I'm sorry I seem to have waffled on a bit - but please go private if you want a second opinion or advice on what to do next. Go on google and google private doctors. ??150 for a consulation for peace of mind if worth it!!!

Hope you get some where soon hunny - and fingers crossed your next BFP is a sticky one! Good Luck and Baby dust!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Options
    Hi Bec. Just to say I have paid privately for initial consultatations for other issues and I think it was about 120 quid. At the very least it gets you in the system and then you can have treatment, if needed, on the NHS if you wish. I think all you do is find the hospital and consultant you wish to see and ring up and make an appt. Good luck chick - hope you get some answers xxxx
  • Options
    Hi hun

I dont know about private clinics as you know we were referred for recurrent mc but there is a set of bloods you could ask to have done they basically check your LH, FSH, prgesterone, sticky blood, natural killer cells & thyroid. I had these done between CD2-5. And they can detect wether aspirin or anything else would help.

Hope you are able to get some answers 1 way or another.

good luck xx