Forum home› Getting pregnant› Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finally discharged from the EPU

Well, today I got the good news that my HCG levels have returned to normal and the EPU have discharged me and don't need to see me again. I know that it is good news but today, all of a sudden, I have finally realised that now I'm really not pregnant any more. I know that I really knew before but now it seems so final. As much as I hated the visits I had to the EPU, the staff were so lovely, it was strangely comforting to be back and forth, now it feels as though we're really on our own.

And they also gave me the bads news that because I had two shots of Methotrexate, we have to wait 6 months not 3 before we can start trying agin. I just feel that 6 months is such a long time, I had just got my head around waiting for 3 months and that didn't feel so bad. I was so so excited when we got our BFP after 20 months of trying and now I'm just despaerate for the excitement again. However, I do understand why there is a need to wait and I know that I could easily miscarry if we concieved too quickly and I don't think I could do it all again.

The lovely ladies at the EPU said that I was to go back to them as soon as I was 6 weeks pregnant and becasue of the ectopic they would start me on blood test and scans straight away, so I know that we are lucky and will be having very close monitoring if and when it happens again.

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to get it all written down. I know I won't actually be TTC for the next 6 months but I hope you won't mind me lurking around for the waiting?
I'm still going to be attending the fertility clinic (appointment on Friday ironically) just in case things don't happen in 6 months, the hospital thought it would be best to keep me in the system.

Hope you're all having a good week
Thank you for all your help and support over the past month, I don't know what I would have done without you all

Welsh xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Welsh, glad it's all over for you now but sad for you at the same time.

Hopefully, having this time off ttc will help you and OH relax and put you in a great position to get your BFP in six months time. Why not book yourself a holiday in between?

xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Welsh

I'm so glad you've finally got to the end of what must have been an awful and emotional process. I do completely understand why you must feel a little strange - it's certainly comforting to be in the hands of the professionals but just see this as those 6 months counting down and they'll fly by. Hb and I had to take an enforced 6 month ttc break last year becasue he was away with work and I dreaded it, but it actually passed really quickly now I look back on it (didn't at the time, but that was more because I was missing hb!). It was actually the first time I'd really relaxed in ages - I stopped symptom spotting, counting days and POAS and felt like myself again. After all you've been through I guess a break might do you the power of good and you can use the time to have a great, fun-packed summer - holidays, Pimms, days out left right and centre and no ttc anxiety (I'm actually getting a little jealous!).

I really hope the time flies and do stay in touch.

xxx
  • Options
    Hey Welsh

I think it is a good point to reach the end of your time with EPU and this bank holiday you will be able to look forward. Of course you will be so sad and tearful but it will be a bit better and in stark contrast to the easter holidays.
    I think I told you I felt so much better walking in the doors of the unit a month or so after. I didnt make an allowance for how much the visits were taking out of me and the waiting. Even though it is bad news it stops the rollercoaster and allows you to heal.
    The six months is terribly cruel. I guess if we had ended up with the MTX the only positive thing I could think of doing with the break was a fairly rigourous diet and excercise plan.
    I think its a damn fine plan to keep the fertility appointment at least you are striving towards something and sometimes it takes ages to get a referral
    I guess you can have a massive G and T whilst you plan your hols.
    Take care of yourself and I was really willing and praying that you would not end up at this point.
    X

[Modified by: J-Jenko on April 28, 2009 08:07 PM]

• Options
    Hi Welsh pleased that your levels are back to normal and please do stick around during your 6 month wait we would all really like that.

I'm sure that your emotions are going to be up and down for the next few months but I remember that you said that you had strong faith and I'm sure this will get you through...................and I also recommend the odd gin and tonic occasionally.

Enjoy being with your hubby and enjoy each other honey x
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mc. You've been through such an emotional rollercoaster, not knowing whether it was all over or not. At least now you have closure! Try and spend the next 6mths relaxing and enjoy spending time with your hubby! I think you've been really brave xxx
  • Options
    Hello chick have been thinking about you, 6 months in one way will fly but in another will drag too as it will feel like 'wasted' time but I do believe in the bigger plan and although it doesn;t make sense to you now hopefully later on it will.

Please stick around as you too are a great support to us and keeping up with appointments etc is a fab plan will hopefully mean at end of 6 months you will be able to go in guns blazing rather than being hit with further waiting lists.

ll my love to you and other half - if it gets to you in the next day or so remember to come on and get it off your chest xxxx
  • Options
    Good morning girls

Thank you for all your lovely replies, as ever you are all fantastic at seeing the positive side of things. I know that you are all right and after a long day yesterday thinking about things, I have decided that 6 months will be a great time span to get back to my usual fitness and lose at least a stone. Then, when the 6 months is up, we're giving ourselves the best possible opportunity for a healthy pregnancy.

I'm also looking at it as a great opprtunity to go and visit friends all over the place and have some good nights out and weekends away. As everyone tells me, it won't be that easy with a baby!!!

I'll be back on Friday to let you all know what the fertility clinic has to say about it all

xxx
  • Options
    Hi welsh

sorry to hear that you have to wait 6 months, but i know you can do it. its already been 4 months since my MC. Even if we dont want it to, time passes, so you will get there. in some respects it feels like a lifetime ago now.

focusing on getting fitter etc will be a really good thing, and at least you have a time frame in mind so you can set yourself goals.

keep coming back here (im sure lots of us will still be here!!!!) good luck with the fertility treatment, keep well xx
  • Options
    Hi Welsh

Firstly I wanted to send you some (((((hugs)))))

I remember the realisation and everything being so final once you get discharged from the EPU. It's like before, when you're going back and forth and don't really know what's happening, you hold everything together and keep going but once the physical process is over you start to release all the emotions and it hits you that it's over. You are in my thoughts.

I'm sorry that you have to wait 6 months before trying again but I'm glad you are able to look on this in a positive manner and as a chance to look after yourself and visit friends. That'll certainly help the time go quicker.

And of course we don't mind you staying around - wouldn't have it any other way! :\)

Good luck on the grieving path and I hope you can start to heal very soon.

Love NN xxx

http://tac.families.com/ezb/1192802.png

Click Here To Read My Ramblings On Living With Loss
  • Options
    P.S - good luck for your appointment on Friday! xxx