Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Infertility

Hello,

I wanted to share my story as for the past 2 years l have struggled a lot with TTC and infertility. My husband and l thought we would be able to have kids with no issues and were so very excited until the month became a year with only negative results. I suffer from endometriosis stage 4 since l had my period as a littel girl l would break down from the pain. All of these years dealing with chronic pain has had a toll on my mental health. Taking very heavy medication to alleviate the pain but only for a while. It has such a negative impact on your life as its debilitating.  I made the wrong decision and found a doctor at Lister hospital who l though would be good to do a lap. Unfortunately the doctor removed the scar tissue on a very superficial level. He removed my polyps and cysts. He told me l was stage 2 and that l shouldnt have any issues and it should happen quick. But it didnt. I then decided to do IVF with the NHS and the experience wasnt good. They just put you on a standard protocol without considering your unique situation to tailor to your needs. Every time there was a different doctor to check me out and it was the nurses who managed everything speaking with the doctor later int he day to give you a call regarding next steps on dosage. 

On New Years Eve it was negative. I decided to have an ivf again only after 2 months. I went to Greece to Doctor Pantos who is supposed to be amazing and well known. IVF there is alot cheaper, he has people from all over the world who come to see him. The doctor isnt empathetic but he is good. It did feel like a baby factory as he is so busy but it was disorganized but l managed to get pregnant. The doctor was giving me very high dosage of meds, l was taking 19 pills a day and doing HCG blood tests every 3 days. It was so stressful and the meds were causing me to sleep everywhere all the time. It was so hard to work in this state.

We knew we had a chemical pregnancy when the hcg level didnt double and later on were dropping. I went to do a d&l and they say that it was due to chromosomal issues. I am very lucky that l was able to go to Greece to the same hospital to do this so that we can see what happened. the doctor suggested to try again after a few months but after speaking with dr Nicolaou at Chelsea and West hospital he mentioned that l need to investigate my endo first. He suggested l speak with doctor Raza Amer. The doctor mentioned that l need to have another lap. This is after 1 year from my other lap. The doctor was amazing. So was Nicolaou. He suggested l tale Q10, vit D. I did the surgery and l was diagnosed with stage 4. The doctor also did an MRI which the other doctor didnt ahead of surgery too. It was all over the place. So much scar tissue. And cysts and he checked my tubes to ensure they were not blocked whcih is really important to do as this is a problem for lots of women. If your tubes are unhealthy you need to remove because you wont be able to conceive. Even if you do IVF and they see unhealthy tubes you will need to do surgery again. I didnt know this. Thankfully my one tube was ok but not unhealthy and the other one was fine. 

My doctor in Greece suggested l take injections for 3 months and then do ivf to ensure endo wont cause issues but my doctor in the UK Raza suggested l dont as l should be able to conceive after doing the lap and hysteroscopy. He used robotic arms and the recovery time was shorter compared t the other doctor. 

After one month l conceived naturallly for the first time and l couldnt believe it. After a few weeks l had a miscarriage. I am now doing tests to see if l have thrombophilia. You usually do this after 3 miscarriages. They put you on blood thinners if this is the cause for you. The test cost 1k and usually insurances dont cover it. The ivf and meds in Greece were alot cheaper. The clinic also did  extensive tests to me and my husband which in the UK they didnt. They also didn DNA genetical tests to ensure my husband and l have no problems. 

I have read that if your uterus has a strange shape this might also cause recurrent miscarriages. I am sharing all the info l know as l wish l had someone share all of this with me. Its so overwhelming trying to find out all by yourself with doctors have different opinions and going to doctor from the best hospitals who just disappoint you..I am lucky that l found Dr Raza and Nicolaou and Pantos. i am now taking large amounts of folic acid prescribed to me and l will be receiving injections and aspirin and progesterone if l do get pregnant naturally. 

I feel very depressed and exhausted and my husband and l are tying to not let this situation affect our marriage. He is much older than me and knowing that he cant have kids because of me waiting for some many years dont hurt so so much. But l am lucky that he loves me and doesnt see me broken. Knowing how much he wants it hurts very much especially as he is older and has been waiting for so long. I know that there is a chance that he wont be called grandpa and it just brings me tears and l want him to be in a good place to be energetic and play with them. I dont understand why God brings these challenges to us and this chapter of my life is so painful. But despite all this pain, l trust Him and l believe in his plan for me, his vision for my life. 

I have studies alot the Bible, archaeological and scientific evidence.. studies and books that are against but l am certain for one thing that God is the creator of the world and through his words he brought everything to life. And he is giving me this challenge to awaken and mature spiritually which l have. I feel reborned from this challenge.  I feel connected with God in a way that l havent never been and never thought l could. I love talking to Him and praying every day, learning his word, obeying his commitments and finding comfort in his promises.  I know that many people might say that in moments of weaknesses we turn to God but that's not true for me. I have studied and researched and l believe because l am absolutely certain that God is our loving Father who will protect us and gives us challenges we can endure and we need to grow. And not waste energy on picking up our pieces. Which some days its just impossible. But l try to look up to him and ask him to guide me and give me strength and to not forget me. In the bible the most important women were barren women - Sarah, Hannah, Rachel... and they brought to life the most important men int he Bible. God has a plan for me and l need to wait for his time. Sometimes l wonder if he wants me to adopt or to stop idolizing a being a mother and l keep asking for him to tell me in my heart what he has stored for me. 

Hard situations reveal who we are, They dont make us. I think God put this strong desire in my heart and l should pray and ask him to help me. Because eif you dont ask, you wont receive. I have asked my husband to pray with me as l know thats what Gid wants and it has connected us so much, Through this horrible ordeal l have become a better Christian and l know why l am here. I shouldnt be attempted with all these earthly processions but be kind, forgiven, love your neighbor, the people who arent nice to you, share thr Gospel, pray, dont lie, dont have idols like money, dont be proud, or be envy, be of service towards others not just your family and friends. These are things l try everyday to keep close to my heart. We are saved by grace through faith but deeds are important. 

Every day l ask God to reside within me and guide my day and to help me be strong for what he has for me. Even though l am so afraid if that is completely different to what l have now but l ask him to help me to trust Him. 

I hope my story helps someone. Infertility is one of the hardest struggles. I have been through very bad situations in my life but l feel this happened for a reason to be born twice. God bless you.