Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due in June 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I've started itching :(

Hi,

Unfortunately I have started itching and am now having blood tests on monday to see what is going on with my liver.

I am really gutted.  Its possible I won't get a diagnosis and I have been left sensitive to itching from last time but it feels that same horrible crawling itch that I can't not scratch.  Its miserable.

My Midwife is also being quite awkward as it is rare to have OC so early.  I think I am going to have a big fight on my hands. image

I am also quite sad that the prospect of a VBAC might be slipping away.

Replies

• Options
    Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear that TulipRose, I know it's something you've been dreading. I'm wanting a VBAC this time so can understand your frustration. Just remember as long as you are both healthy it really doesn't matter how baby enters the world!

Really hope it's not OC, big hugs!

xDx
  • Options
    Thanks. That's a helpful point of view to focus on.

Fingers crossed it'll be ok and just random. Will let you know on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Hey.. don't know much about oc but it sounds awful :/ fingers crossed that it's not x
  • Options
    Thanks. Hope the appointment goes ok.

I am somewhat needle phobic after last time and difficult to take blood from so trying to desperately drink lots of water. (They tell me to do this)

Full bladder though ouch! X
  • Options
    How did your appointment go tulip? I hope it's positive news x
  • Options
    Thanks for asking gp.

The appointment was a little tense but the midwife was good and said we had sparks debate over the care plan in the midwifery office and see discovered the advice has been changing a lot. He is more concerned about baby's movements as they couldn't do ctg traces at this gestation.

Luckily have spoken with the charity and they are recommending fortnightly bloods as long as I'm itching and then medication to bring down the levels if diagnosed.

We will have blood results tomorrow an then get a plan from the consultant team after our 20 weeks scan. Hopefully it'll be ok. If not I hope they will be listening.

It's going to be a long pregnancy if i am itching throughout regardless of diagnosis. But I am lucky it's not as terrible as last time so far. I can't remember if it came gradually before or not. I suspect so because even I wasn't worried until it got quite bad. Just thought it was stretching.

But then again I had a rash last time and it began on my bump. This time it's really hands and a few odd itches elsewhere.

I'm sort of expecting it to be fine tomorrow and that i am over sensitive from last time. But even so they will want to monitor I ensure it isn't brewing. It's far more common in the later part of the third trimester.
  • Options

Good luck for ur results tomorrow x

• Options
    Sounds like you've got a lot going on Hun, aside from the usual pregnancy and toddler worries!

Don't worry too much though (easier said than done though!)

Good luck for your further tests and care plan, hopefully it all turns out as you would like.

xDx
  • Options

Thanks ladies.

Well it is good news (apart from the itching).  My levels are normal.  Although we were initially given a positive result from a receptionist...ah!  So for about 4 hours we were fearing the worst.  I was in tears etc...

The plan is to monitor the itch and talk it over at clinic with the consultant team.  It seems the plan will be fortnightly blood tests whilst the itching continues.  Its not nice but if it could help keep baby safe it is worth it.

Feeling relieved although definitely more aware now of how much I had been worrying deep down...but without really acknowledging it.  Might have to make sure I go easy on my self and not hide from it either.

With my son we were diagnosed on the day we were induced so the worry of stilbirth was kind of short lived.  This pregnancy i guess was always going to be different.

• Options
    Grr it's been better for a while but the last two days it's been pretty strong.

I don't understand how it can be so intense on a few tiny areas but not all the time. It definitely doesn't feel like a normal pregnancy type of itch though.

Pretty sure my fingers and palms aren't expanding or stretching.

It's getting quite distracting and annoying. I've been trying to hold a six pint of milk for the relief I one hand. The cold is really good.
  • Options

Bless ya must b really annoying xx

• Options
    Hi Hun how many weeks are you x
  • Options

Hope you're ok hun , have you tried piriton etc (not sure if you can take during pregnancy ) must be irritating , n unusual to be in the 2nd trimester isn't it , have been doing some research as been worried about you , hope you find something to ease it for you , until then glad the milk is working , would a cold flannel work as well - slightly lighter than 6pts of milk x x x

• Options
    Hi

I'm 19+3. It's rarer in second trimester but quite common to itch early in a second pregnancy.

The plus side is I might itch and never be ill. But the down side is the itch is so strong.

You can't take piriton without supervision. It doesn't help the itch but makes you drowsy if you can't sleep.

I took it with my son for a few days. I had been waking up scratching myself til I bled. Only getting an hour at a time when I could.

Wish it would stop. Then there's the worry.

Hopefully they will agree to blood every two weeks as the charity suggests.

If you want to research the best source is icp support uk. image

I'm touched you are looking into it.

I'm quite proactive and determined but every now and then I'm going to wobble I guess. :{
  • Options

Hi I'm new on here and was looking for some advise. Seems I could have written your posts TulipRose. Instead of advise seems I have found someone going through the exact same thing as me image which sucks as this is miserable. I'm  22weeks and have the most horrific itching on my feet, lower legs and hands. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I was never diagnosed with OC with DD however my MW suspects I may have had it looking back ( the prenatal care was awful with dd) I've had bloods done which are normal however will be monitored while the itching continues. my MW and DR have said that symptoms can start earlier with 2nd+ pregnancies. I have been prescribed Eurax cream which helps stop the itching long enough to get to sleep. I also must be the only person walking around the house in shorts lol. Like you I'm sure this isn't normal I'd understand if it was on my stomach etc but not on hands and feet. Hope this is short lived for us both xx

• Options
    Grr must be really annoying and worrying for you hun. Glad the bloods came back ok and they're monitoring things ... I've started to itch and its driving me nuts so going to mention it to mw on weds when I see her. Its not my feet and hands but my clothes feel all uncomfortable against my skin ... Sure its nothing but its on half uncomfortable so you have my sympathies x
  • Options
    Hi teapot. Always good to mention but itching in oregnancy is usually dry, stretching skin. Sometimes you become more sensitive to perfumes and soaps. Try not to worry.

You could switch to non bio sensitive washing powder , use baby body wash and try going without perfume for a few days. I found my perfume had been making mine worse.image

Oh and use lots of creams to ease dryness.

I hope it settles. Xx
  • Options
    Tink - how are you feeling? Your itch doesn't sound right but I'm glad they are checking you. Let us know how it goes.

Teapot - how are you today?
  • Options
    Hey teapot, how you getting on you feeling any more comfortable? I agree with TulipRose about changing washing powder soaps etc my GP also mentioned general itching can be down to a progesterone sensitivity def mention it to MW when you see her.

TulipRose how you feeling? Has your itching subsided at all?

Mine seems to be getting worse but I'm suffering with HG and have had a relapse so I'm sure dehydration isn't helping ease things.

Well least the thought of seeing her little face at the end of this is enough to stop me going insaine oh that and the 4 year old whirl wind I have showing me how she would be a bulldozer lol. X
  • Options
    Oh no. I hope you get some relief soon. Have you had your bile acids and LFTs back?

Have they confirmed the diagnosis?

You can take a medication called ursodeoxycholic acid which can reduce the dangerous bile acids and reduce itching. It doesn't work for all women but for most.

Quite frankly that itch is so unbareable I would so anything.

I am feeling really lucky because my itch has subsided. It's been very on and off and so I don't feel it's a massive issue for now.

I am going to still push the consultant for fortnightly bloods and a decent care plan because an itch after a previous diagnosis could just be the beginning. If it were a random chance of recurrence when it would be easier but having been quoted 90% it's really hard and best to be sensible.image

Definitely looking forward to my scan and we will see what clinic brings on Thursday.