Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due May 2014
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hospital Bags

So after a couple of funny turns at the weekend my husband has suggested I get my hospital bag ready as really there's not long left and he doesn't want to have to fuss if I have to go into hospital.

I wondered if it might be useful if we shared our checklists, I know last time I had no idea what to bring, brought lots of things I didn't need & had to get hubby to go shopping for me for extras while I was kept in afterwards. 

It might be good for first timers to see what we would recommend bringing/leaving out and I'm sure those of you who have had multiple babies will have even more gems for us!

Replies

• Options
    This is a good idea!

Ive been told i need to do mine now. All ive brought from boots so far is two packs of maternanty pads and breast pads. Im gone go primark next month to get some pjs as there really cheap and can just throw them after and also need to buy some big knickers that i dont mind throwing after. Thats all i can think of so far. I dont even no what to bring for the baby. All i have said is to make sure i have a couple grows for her incase she messes them x
  • Options

Last Minute Items

• Birth plan
    • Maternity notes
    • Phone & charger
    • Kindle & charger/book/magazines (induction = very boring)
    • iPod/music (I didn't use mine, but some people do)
    • Camera & batteries

Toiletries

• Deoderant
    • Shower gel
    • Shampoo
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
    • Hairbrush, bobbles, grips etc.
    • Make up (I don't wear lots normally, but you might look very tired/pale)
    • Towel(s)
    • Maternity pads
    • Breast pads - breastfeeding or not you will leak.
    • Lip balm - SO IMPORTANT. Hospital is hot, and gas & air dries your lips.

For Mum

• Old nightie for delivery (they binned mine after I vomited like in The Exorcist)
    • New/fresh PJs for afterwards - front opening if you plan to breastfeed.
    • Leggings/loose joggers & comfy top. For me, jeans were not comfortable with those hard seams! Remember if you have to have a c-sec or stitches you don't want things that rub on your scars.
    • Granny pants. Cheap ones you will throw away - you will bleed lots and maternity pads are big but you might still leak! Also you won't want to irritate scars.
    • Socks - worth mentioning as even in warm weather, you might want socks on during delivery - the blood is concentrating on your middle and your feet get chilly.
    • Nursing bras.

Baby

• Scratch mitts
    • Hat
    • Cardigan
    • 3 x vests
    • 3 x sleepsuits
    • Nappies
    • Cotton wool (lots of hospitals don't like wipes to be used)
    • Muslin cloths

Other

• Spare t-shirt for partner.
    • Plastic bag for dirty washing
    • Car seat (we weren't allowed home without them seeing baby strapped in on the ward.
    • Blanket - for baby in car seat.
    • Snacks & drinks for you & partner. There is water by the jug full but if you want anything else it can be hard to come by!

It's also handy to have extra clothes for you & baby that your partner can easily pack/bring as extra if you have to stay in longer. I didn't realise how much I would still have and when I was stuck in hospital had to send hubby shopping to buy me larger size trousers!

• Options

Great list MrsP3, think you've covered everything , the extras  I packed were a facial mist - ideal for when you're hot n sweaty n don't want anyone touching you with a flannel etc , n essesntial oils - lavender n ylang ylang  ( jasmine can help strengthen contractions but is more expensive ) - for massage n a couple of drops on the light bulb gives off a nice scent , n a birth ball , my hospital doesn't supply them , n we found capri suns really good .light to pack n the straw means you can drink whatever position you get yourself into .... totally agree with the lip balm n socks - absolute essentials !! x x 

• Options
    What a great list!

Defo second the leggings or dresses and pants after a section! I didn't pack nearly enough clothes for myself. But like the idea of having a main hospital bag and a spare with extras that hubby can bring.

I am also taking a yoga mat to help my knees when on all fours. Jelly babies for quick sugar burst even if I don't feel like eating.

Nipple cream

Yoga mat

My own pillow (smell of home )

Slippers and dressing gown

Freezer packs for frozen smoothie cubes.

Prescriptions if any (gaviscon etc took forever to get some from the hospital)

Comforter for baby

Muslins!! image
  • Options
    Get some paper pants, or is it mesh. What I know is they were very useful as could pull them up really high and so stretchy and still supportibve enough formaternity pad and as for taking tgem off u can just rip them at the side and dispose with yr pad. Really great after a section and so not restrictive xxx
  • Options

Great lists! Thank you, as a first timer I wasn't sure what I needed. Xx

• Options
    Great list I had no idea what to pack as last baby came out before I had a chance to pack a bag so this time I've been trying to get ready earlier have half a bag packed and now can put that extra stuff in i never would of thought of otherwise.
  • Options

Am i the only one who hasn't packed my hospital bag yet image image image Oh an dont forget u might want to take a towel and some toileteries for your baby if you want to bathe in there, they did provide me with a towel an baby shampoo an baby bath but u might want ur own an some loition. 

Depends if u want to have them bathed in there or if your in there long enough lol x