Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just need to get it off my chest

Sorry but this is one big feeling sorry for myself post. There's no need to reply, I just want somewhere to vent.

Oliver suffers with colic and while is has improved (I have been taking him to an osteopath) he still has his bad moments. The last couple of days he has been really unsettled, he hasn't been sleeping well at night and his naps in the day go from one extreme to the other. Yesterday he had a 2 hour nap in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon, today he has barely slept.

Guess what I have just found out today - he is TEETHING at 7 weeks old! The poor thing, no wonder he is so grouchy. I can't believe he is having to go through so much at his age.

I am so bloody knackered, I can't cope. I rang the doctors as I know I'm not coping at all and have decided that if I need a little help by taking something, that it's for the best. Well guress what, I can't have an appointment for a week!

Everybody keeps saying it will get better, but I really can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going back to work at the beginning of October and can't help thinking that I won't have much time with him as a 'happy' baby and that makes me feel so much worse.

Sorry for the rant.

H x

Replies

• Options
    Hayley - you know I know how you feel after my post yesterday!

How do you know he's teething? I've wondered about that with Lucas as he seems to want stuff in his mouth constantly but then seems in pain with it. He's right off his food as well but not sure if that's a symptom of teething?

It is so sad to think of how little time we get with our little men before life must go on, but try to remember we've got these little buggers for life, whether we like it or not, and this phase is likely to be over in 5 weeks, and just think how fast the last 7 have gone!!!

I'm guessing in a year's time we won't even remember this bit, but despite being back at work we will still be getting those lush smiles, chuckles and evening cuddles.

We can do this H, promise!

Now I just need to listen to myself don't I??

Big hugs

Hxx
  • Options
    Hey Hayley. You poor thing - colic and teething early! I had heard that in a few cases teething can start ridiculously early! Could you ring the docs each day to see if you can get a cancellation to bring your appt forward? Or how about your parents / in laws taking Oliver for an hour or two just to give you a bit of time out?

Haven't got much other advice but I'm thinking of you sweets xxx
  • Options
    Hey hun,

I can't believe Oliver's teething - the poor little mite. How did you find out?

I'm pretty sure that all drs surgeries have to have a certain number of appointments set aside everyday for emergencies. At mine you have to ring up at 8.30am (precisely as they go very quickly) for the morning ones. I would try ringing up tomorrow and saying that it is an emergency and just seeing what they say - you don't need to tell the receptionist what is wrong so they'll be none the wiser. Plus, when you have a newborn to look after it is an emergency.

Take care hon,

xxx
  • Options
    I am sorry you are having a tough time.

I am glad that you have put about Oliver teething.
    Finley is as well and has been since he was about 7 weeks. I was worried to put anything on here in case people thought I had lost the plot. My mum thought that he was so I asked my HV and she had a feel and I told her the symptoms he was having (ALWAYS chewing hands, very unsettled, dribbling like anyones business, rosy cheeks and occasions of high pitched screaming) and she had a feel of his gums and said that it felt like he was. I can now see four teeth coming, two at the top and two at the bottom. They look like little white dots and one of the top ones is getting bigger and bigger. She did say that they can teeth for months before they actually cut a tooth though.

Anyway sorry I have gone on a bit. Basically I totally sympothise. I don't have the colic problem as well but it is bad enough with the teething on its own. Poor Oliver.

I hope things get a bit better soon. I have given Fin a little bit of calpol on the occasions when he starts really screaming with the pain (although they can only have this from 2 months) and I have found that if I gently rub his gums it makes him feel a bit better.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Poor oliver and fin! Hope those first teeth come through soon and you have a break before the next bout.

Xxx
  • Options
    Gosh, they are so little to be teething! Sorry to hear things are hard Hayley, I hope you manage to get an appointment a bit sooner and start to get things sorted.
  • Options
    How are you today H? x
  • Options
    it sounds pretty normal with the teeth tbh. most of the march babies have been doing the same for weeks and the drs have said they move around a l,ot before they cut through. oliver could be 7 months before he actually gets a tooth.
  • Options
    Wif & Hayley, I've heard a few times about teething salts that you can give them - not sure of the name but people I've spoken to swear by them! x
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies ladies, you keep me sane xx

I am feeling better today, but boy did we have a bad night. I took him to the doctors this morning as he was so bad in the night and I am so glad I did.

Oliver has always made some noises like he is straining to have a poo. The HV however has always said that he is fine and he isn't constipated, even though I think he is. Well the doctor I saw this morning said he is straining to poo! What I knew all along but the silly HV said not.

The doctor suggested I put him on a comfort milk for colic and constipation. I went and bought some straight away and he had a feed about an hour and half ago and has now done the biggest poo!

The doctor said the comfort milks are also thicker (to stop them gulping) which also seemed to help as he was so relaxed when he had it.

He said it could be his teeth, but he can't actually see any (bloody HV said she could yesterday!) He said he could have his fist in his mouth because of the straining to poo (for comfort). So will just have to wait and see. I have got him some teething gel and new dummies anyway.

I'm so glad I went to see the doctor. He was so nice and made me feel like I wasn't being a neurotic mummy. I'm so mad about the HV the more I think about it.

Anyway, I'm going to relax and have a cuppa now as my mum has just taken him out.

Thanks again for all your replies.

H xx
  • Options
    Wif & Hayley, I've heard a few times about teething salts that you can give them - not sure of the name but people I've spoken to swear by them! x

Will have a look - thanks Ruth.

xx
  • Options
    hiya, just wanted to add that lara is teething too at 9 weeks. The dribbling is driving me as nuts as the unsettledness is image
    Must say im dreading breastfeeding with teeth.
    She likes the cooled teething toys though, She shoves them in her mouth really hard but they seem to help.
    Hope things get better soon
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    So glad the doctor helped. Let's hope the new milk sorts him out and you both feel better x
  • Options
    Yes, we havenoticed that Harvey seems to be displaying the sighns of teething as well, we have been usuing the odd half a sachet of Ashton and Parsons teething powders, they settle the tummy and baby pretty quickly.

xx