Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Christmas Dilemma

This may be a long one so apologies in advance but I would love you lovely ladies opinion on this one.

Christmas by hubby and I is generally spent having lunch at my parents and then going to his parents in the evening, or alternatively everyone comes to ours. Generally I love having everyone around me but last Christmas they all just got on my nerves a bit. I made a massive effort, even though I was huge, which I felt was completely unappreciated by all. I ran around after them all for the day and spent more or less the entire next day in bed as I was so exhausted. Whilst all they did was sit around enjoying my efforts and talking about how exciting it would be when the baby came. It didn't help that I had a cold in the days leading up to the festivities.

This year obviously they are all going to want to spend the day with us because of DD but I just don't fancy it. I see me as being the idiot in the kitchen actually missing out on her first Christmas whilst everyone else enjoys my efforts and my DD, but I feel bad to say that we are going to spend our first Christmas as a little family on our own. Am I being selfish? They are her Grandparents after all.

This hasn't been helped by the fact that my Mum talks about how much she loves DD and buys her stuff all of the time but doesn't really seem to be able to make the effort to come and see her much. Seems to spend more time talking to her friends about how beautiful she is rather than actually seeing her.

Any suggestions? I am beginning to find this all a bit upsetting.

Replies

• Options
    Could you go to your parents and in laws in the morning so they get to spent some time with you and your DD, then go home for a quiet 1st christmas dinner with lo?
    Or you could go away for the christmas period so it's just your own little family. After all you lo is yours and your DH.
    Hope you sort out what you're going to do soon so as not to be too stressed for too long.
    We always have christmas dinner at my parents house, but to make sure that both sets of grandparents see the kids on christmas day we go round to DH parents in the morning for a few hours, then to my parents for dinner, then home about 6.30/7 o'clock to have a bit of time together as a family in our own right.
  • Options
    Personally I would say to stay home the three of you and enjoy your first Christmas together, & go to one lot on Christmas Eve & the others on Boxing day, or maybe both on one day if time allows. I know it will probably pee some people off but it's your DD's first christmas & you'll never get it back... Tell them DD will be so young that she won't understand & so could open her pressies from them when you go to theirs....? x
  • Options
    I'd go for the Christmas alone too. Yeah, they probably won't like it but tough. I really wish we could do the same...
  • Options
    I'm guessing your parents and in laws know each other reasonably well if you've had a few christmases with them all at yours? So could one of them host everyone instead of you? That way your DD gets christmas with all her grandparents but you don't have the hassle of a huge family dinner and get quality time with your DD?

Saying that if you'd prefer a quiet christmas just the three of you you should do it - maybe make boxing day the big family thing instead? Or not! Your DD won't have a clue and will enjoy the fuss whenever it comes! The rest of it is just pleasing other people so make sure you don't do that at the expense of you having a good christmas.

Ps - I empathise on the mum front - mine makes a big fuss about both our DDs to other people but actually only sees them a few times a year as her and dad spend all their free time caravanning! They've even been within a few miles of us (they live a couple of hours away the rare times they are at home!) and not called in as they're too busy!!! Yet I still try and make sure we give them equal time to my in laws at christmas despite the fact they have (or will have) the girls 2 days a week saving us ??6k a year in nursery fees so prob deserve first dibs on christmas!

Families eh?!
  • Options
    Families indeed - drive you bonkers. I haven't even posted on here about her Christening which is another saga entirely!!

I quite like the idea of 3 seperate Christmases, having our little one on our own for one day. Oddly enough the inlaws popped over today and brought up Christmas and hubby suggested being with them either Christms eve or Boxing day and not the actual day and they took it ok.

Not sure my mum will though....I'll keep you posted
    xx
  • Options

Not sure my mum will though....

Stay strong RD ;\)

Best get up, off to visit the in-laws today - we haven't broached the subject with them yet...