Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C-Section - GC from Due in June

Hello Ladies

Congratulations on your LOs.

I was wondering whether any of you would share your c-section stories?

Was it planned or an emergency?
How long were you in hospital?
When you were able to pick your baby up?
how long did it take to heal? etc etc

I'm not having a planned c-section or anything, I'm just interested in 'real' stories because the internet is full of horror stories!!!

Thanks Ladies

YummyMummy79
33+6

Replies

• Options
    I am still writing mine, it's an epic!
  • Options
    Just to answer quickly (I'm in the process of doing my BS)

It wasn't planned (after 12 hours of labour I got to 10cm and then didn't progress at all. Apparently he was too big for me to deliver)

I gave birth at 2am Tues morning and left hospital Thursday morning.

I got out of bed and picked him up by lunch time on Tuesday. I was holding him after I was stitched up though.

I had my stitches out on Sunday and must say I feel great and seem to be healing well.

I was dreading how I would recover when I realised I would have to have one, but it really was fine.

HTH!

H xx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I've now had 2 c-secs & both experiences have been quite positive:

1st was an emergency due to failure to progress past 5cms after 36 hours labour. Throughout the pregnancy I was terrfified about having a spinal but it wasn't as bad as I expected. DS was born 4pm on the Monday & we werev home on the Wednesday, I was holding him whilst I was stitched & BF whilst in recovery room. He slept through the 1st night so I didn't need to hold him but when he woke in the morning one of the MWs took him out of cot & handed him to me. I recovered really well & didn't find there was much I couldn't do - was told by Dr at 4 weeks that I could drive & at 6 weeks could start 'proper' exercising again as long as I was careful.

DS2 was born 2 weeks ago. Was supposed to be an elective 1 week later but went into labour early so ended up being classed as an emergency. Anaesthetist was brilliant, told us everything that he was doing & kept both me & DH very calm. Again, was holding DS whilst stitched & BF in recovery room. He was born 6pm on the Sunday & we were home on the Tuesday. For the first night when I needed to hold DS I just asked the MWs & they took him out of cot & laid him back down when he'd settled. I have recovered really well again, only thing I'm not able to do is pick up DS1 - I am pretty sure it would be fine now but don't want to take any risks.

Good luck for June.

Xxx
  • Options
    I had an em c-section with my DD1 3 years' ago after she got stuck at the top of the birth canal due to her positioning. After 32 hours of labour the spinal felt amazing and the op was absolutely fine - all i felt was a bit of poking and prodding as she was delivered and after that nothing. i lost a lot of blood so went quite woozy as they were stitching me up but didn't need a transfusion or anything.

She was born at 2.10am and I didn't get to hold/feed her til the spinal bwore off a bit and I could sit up at about 4am. During that day and the next night family/midwives handed her to me when she needed a cuddle/feed and I didn't do a nappy change whilst in hosp. changing position, esp sitting up in bedd or standing from sitting was the most painful thing for the first few weeks, In between times the pain was ok as was walking around albeit slowly!! I was walking about the ward within 12 hours of the section and had my catheter out after 24 hours. I had a compression bandadge over my scar and all my stiches were disolvable so about 36 hours after the birth I had to take my bandage off in the shower and all I had was a thin red scar. I was home about 56 hours after the birth.

I've just had a VBAC with my 2nd DD and comparing the 2 experiences would say the c-section was the easier/least painful birth and both births left me equally sore (just in different ways/places) for the first 24 hours but after that my recovery this time around has been a lot easier.

HTH and good luck!

xxx!