Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

just when i thought we were making progress...

...Grace has gone back to waking 3 times a night and being ready to get up at 6.30. I know I'm not the only one going through this but I am getting so frustrated. It seems we get one or 2 nights when she drops to 2 feeds then its back to square 1. DD1 was sleeping through by this age and I just don't get why grace's nights are so erratic.

I am so tired....image

Replies

• Options
    Oh hon, these April babies are really giving us the runaround aren't they? I had a chat with my HV on Thursday about Daisy waking so much. I'm pretty sure that she's not really hungry all the time, she should only really need to wake once and she's just sucking for 5-10 mins the rest of the time for comfort.

The HV has suggested that we do try some sleep training as she basically can't self settle and has now got used to me feeding her back to sleep. I'm not keen on CC, especially at this age, but over the long weekend next week we might try a form of PU/PD to see if we can help her learn to sleep better on her own. It took 90 mins to get her back down after her feed last night which means we're both missing out on loads of sleep, and I just ended up feeding her again to get her to nod off!

I'm also moving her into her own room tonight (eek!), but I'm not sure if that will make any difference.

Not sure if any of that helps as I know Grace is a hungry baby, but I hope things get better soon xx
  • Options
    This is horrid isn't it? I had a week of Matilda going through about a month ago and now she is back to at least twice a night. Last night was awful, awful, awful. She was waking up every two hours. I am ashamed to say I was so tired I feel asleep at the half one-ish cry while trying to make out whether she would settles herself. I woke up about an hour later and the monitor was all quiet so I assume she did but feel terrible - I'm guessing she wouldn't have been crying crazily though otherwise I definitely would have woken up...

I'm also moving house this week - already had a little cry this morning because it all seems a bit too much!

No suggestions I'm afraid but I hope Grace, Matilda and Daisy have a little chat and decide to be good girls!

Liz, good luck with the move - could just do the trick! x
  • Options
    It just seems to be 2 steps forward 3 steps back doesn't it? No idea what's going on!

Hope the move to her own room goes well tonight Liz.

And good luck with the move to Edinburgh goes well Kayecee - I know the move will be stressful but Edinburgh is a fantastic city - I'm so jealous that you're getting to move there!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi hun,

Totally with you here, Benjamin ranges from waking up once (very occasionally), to three times a night. Last night he woke up at 2am, 3,15am & 5am. It took me 45 minutes to get him to settle at 5am (normally quite good at 15 mins). I think for Benjamin this is probably it until I wean him, and since I'm doing BLW, I don't expect him to be eating much till around 8 mnths....YAWN!!!

xxxxx
  • Options
    Well we were down to 2 feeds last night at 2.15 and 6am and after the 6am feed she had a bit of a snuggle but didn't actually go back to sleep so for the 4th day out of 5 I've been up since 6am.

I have a feeling weaning might be the only way to sort Grace too Ruth so I'll be with you through to the 8 month+ mark I'm sure! Oh god......
  • Options
    Yeah the same is happening to me. Zac was sleeping right through and now is feeding regularly at 3am, sometimes about midnight too. I guess it's just a growth spurt. I don't go to him unless he's crying, and sometimes he'll settle back down, but if he's crying and genuinely hungy I obviously feed him. Hopefully it will settle down. I don't want to start weaning before 6 months as i've got loads of allergies and i want to protect him from those for as long as possible.
    So no advice really but it's kind of comforting to know you are not the only person getting up at these ungodly hours!
  • Options
    Well, I was only up once last night, at 1.55am. Took me over an hour to get her back down though. She kept going into the cot asleep, then about 7 mins later (just as I was drifting off!), she'd wake again. Ended up feeding her to sleep in the end. Bad mummy!
  • Options
    Ended up feeding her to sleep in the end. Bad mummy!

I feed Benjamin to sleep for every single sleep he has unless he's in his pram/car seat....so if you're a bad mummy I don't know what that makes me ;\) ! I can feel the rod digging into my back as I type.... :lol: xxx
  • Options
    Oh god, me too! But it's stopped working for the last few nights. She was up 3 times in the night last night and it took me over an hour to get her back down each time.

We're going to have a go at getting her to self settle this weekend, not looking forward to it but think it's necessary for my sanity and for her to get some decent sleep.
  • Options
    Lizzie, keep us updated on how the self-settling goes - that's our next step but I keep putting it off!! Good luck! x
  • Options
    I can relate to this SO much!
    Dylan went through a stage of about 10 days of sleeping through, I'm so sleep deprived I can't remember exactly when it was but it was somewhere between 2 and 3 months!
    But ever since then he has been awake bout 3 times on average, some nights it is 2 which is a blessing but others it is about 5-6 times! He is 4 months now ... it is exhhausting isn't it!?

Thing is he only feeds once! He sleeps well generally from half 7 until about 1-2 , in this time i include a dreamfeed. I keep telling myself I need an early night but there is always so much housework to catch up on at this time!

Also, don't I just know it about the rod digging in .... I was making a conscious effort to get him to self settle, and everytime he woke up I setled him back in his cot which took up to an hour ( no CC, just kind of PU/PD but more patting and talking.) And he seemes to get the hang of it, and is pretty goods at naps now. However, when he wakes in the night for the 4th or 5th time on a bad night, I just cannot function physicaly being that tired so I bring him into our bed and he is out like a light!

So yeah April babies obviously don't think they need sleep! And ny magic sollutions please let me know!
    Hope it gets better for us all soon, would be lovely to know what 10 hours of solid sleep like ....

Oh also !! .. sorry to gatecrash.... Does anybody have the odler family members constantly telling you they should be sleeping through and to just leave them or put baby rice in the bottle!? Drives me bananas some of the things my Nan comes out with, she also constantly says " Don't let him get fat" ... What sort of thing s that to say!???? Grr anyway totally off topic apologies ...... mashed up brain from lack of sleep typing here ...