Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finger Infection

My poor baby has an infected finger image

He cosntantly has his hands in mouth and the doctor thinks this is the cause, I feel awful though as though i must have caused it by cutting his nail a bit short or not straight or something!?

He is on antibiotics for it and has some fucidin antibiotic cream to go on it, but it looks so sore it has a little yellow scab an the skin all over his finger tip is peeling off! It doesn't seem to bother him but it is making me upset - how soft!

Was just wondering if anyone else with little ones has this problem? My doctor recommended discouraging him from sucking his hands but he is always chomping on them! I feel cruel putting mittens on him as he is learning to grab things now and it doesn't seem fair

Replies

• Options
    Awww bless him. Grace is a thumb sucker and I don't think there is anyway I could ger her to stop - even when her sleeves are too long she just chomps on her hands anyway so gloves wouldn't help. Stupid doc obv doesn't have a young baby in his life!!
  • Options
    I agree with Feebs! Matilda has her hands in her mouth ALL the time! The only time she'll stop is when she makes herself gag! Poor little mite - I'm sure it's bothering you more than it's bothering him x
  • Options
    Oh bless! Lucas is the same, constantly hands in mouth...when we dress him or wash his arms in the bath we have to swap hands or he gets very annoyed! I just don't see how you could discourage it!

On a positive note, Lucas had 3 infected fingers when he was only a week old and that had a) nothing to do with sucking his fingers and b) nothing to do with cutting his nails as I hadn't done them yet!!! And he really wasn't bothered at all, but I felt so sorry for him!!!

Sure he'll recover fine hon.

Hxx
  • Options
    Yeah you're all right I think it would be near impossible to stop them putting their hand in their mouths! And I'm sure it is just a developmental/learning stage too as anything he gets his hands on he tries to put in his mouth ( which normally is actually his cheek or eye)

Thanks for your replies, it is starting to clear up now so feeling a lot better! It's just hell trying to get the antibiotic medicine into his mouth , it does taste vile though!
    xx