Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Airline annoyance!!!! Sorry for the rant :)

Grrrr am so cross.

We're off to Tenerife at the end of Aug and have just found out that the apartment owner can't get us a cot for Grace. We have our own travel cot so thought it might be easier just to bring that with us but get this.... Easyjet who we're flying back with will take a travel cot and pushchair free of charge but Jet2 who we're flying out with insist (via their stupid Indian call centre) that it can only be classed as outsized/excess luggage and would be charged at ??10 per kilo. That's ??110 as it weighs 11kg.

I just do not understand this policy as it is smaller and lighter than a suitcase (which would cost ??12.99) and not much different to a set of golf clubs which they only charge ??20 for!!!! I asked why we couldn't just put it in a suitcase and they said they'd still charge us for excess baggage!!!! Cheeky tw*ts!!

Now I don't know what to do - I'm not sure if we did book an extra suitcase, put the cot in it and pack it round with clothes etc and play dumb at check in if we'll get away with it - I mean I'll have quite a bit of baby equipment in our various cases and don't expect to be questioned about their contents... But it's a lot to pay if they do insist on sticking to their policy. And I had to give my booking ref to the call centre so don't know if they'll have logged it on our booking that I've made the enquiry...

I hate the fact that there is no UK based person to speak to and the indians just say "but it is company policy madame" - I bet they don't even know what I'm talking about with a travel cot - they said it had to be smaller than 6' long!!! whoever has a 6' long travel cot!!!!! If I thought they understood me properly I'd accept it but they just couldn't explain why it was any different to other hold baggage or sporting equipment.

We can hire one over in Tenerife but as we don;t arrive until 9pm we won't be able to get it delivered until the next day so will have to have Grace in bed with us for the first night which is not ideal...

Garrgghhh wish I could get a straight answer about the luggage allowance thing - anyone any ideas about who I can ask??? Seems ridiculous that Jet2's policy is so different to Easyjets! Will certainly know not to travel with Jet2 again if we want a family friendly airline!!!!

Anyone got any ideas???

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I've got a pop up travel cot and i's great. Lightweight and fold up into a smallish bag about 3ft long and 1ft wide.
    I bought mine from one of the baby shops on ebay.
    I feel your frustration though.
  • Options
    Its so annoying! But luckily my friend has a pop up cot that she's happy to lend us so we should be sorted.

Its just such a stupid policy!
  • Options
    Outrageous! If it falls through with your friend I'd just pack it in your case. They won't go through all baby items to see if a cot is in there x
  • Options
    That's ridiculous! If it fits in a case, then I don't see why you can't take it that way, it's not like it's some kind of dangerous item!
  • Options
    It is so crap. Still can't believe they r so anal, I thought ryanscare were bad, they charge ??20 for rhea to fly then a flat rate of ??20 for each baby item, like car seat buggy travel cot. So if I was to fly to see my nan it would be ??160 for rhea alone & that's before I even book my flight!!

Jayne xx
  • Options
    It is so crap. Still can't believe they r so anal, I thought ryanscare were bad, they charge ??20 for rhea to fly then a flat rate of ??20 for each baby item, like car seat buggy travel cot. So if I was to fly to see my nan it would be ??160 for rhea alone & that's before I even book my flight!!

God I thought pushchairs at least were free with all airlines! Although with ryanair its not surprising they charge - think they'd charge you for breathing if they could!!!
  • Options
    Feebs I'm flying easyjet in Oct - are buggies free with them then? x
  • Options
    Hey kaycee,
    Yes every baby item is free with Easyjet.

• Options
    Nothing to add but that's so ridiculous. Glad you've got it sorted, jet2 are clearly one for us all to avoid. I'm with you on the call centres...!

Holiday though...exciting!!!

image xx
  • Options
    Yeah I am excited about the holiday! Just getting prematurely stressed about the packing!!!

Kaycee - you can take 2 baby items for free with easy jet so buggy plus car seat/cot whatever. Their policy is really good.
  • Options
    arghh airlines can be so crap when it comes to travelling with infants. when my duaghter was a younger her dad lived in paris so we travelled alot The firts time i went with her i asked in england am i going to be able to get the buggy when i get off becuase charles de gaulle is a loooong walk to get your bags and she sed o yes thats fine no problem...well when we touched down the French attendent ushered me off the plane and would not let me get my buggy even though i could see it .. it was about 7 ft away from me and he wouldnt let me cross a rope to get it and told me just to pick it up with the bags .i was furious i had to walk for what seemed like forever carrying a grumpy one and a half year old not fun!!