Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else's LOs seem to hate Daddy?

For the last week and a half Lucas seems to detest his Daddy, which is awful for me as I never get a break but I think probably worse for DH as he just wants some snuggles. He'll play quite happily with him and give lots of smiles but as soon as he's tired it seems noone but Mummy will do and he just works himslf into a state until I take him.

It doesn't help that I still can't him to take naps by himself during the day, and can only really get him to sleep alone at about 11pm.

It has actually reached the point where I think I might need to go talk to my GP as the stress of passing him to DH when he gets home is ruining my time with him and I then have to spend sn hour settling him when DH gives up!

Any ideas?

A very frustrated and tired Hxx

Replies

• Options
    Oh Hun didn't want to r&r. I don't no what to say. Maybe if dh watched exactly what u do with him & copy it, it mite work. Or how about getting dh to wear something of urs, then Lucas will be able to smell u, but daddy is holding him. Mite help soothe him too. Hope it gets better for u guys.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Oh hun, he is probably just going through a bit of a phase. I agree with everything Jayne has said and maybe also make sure he can see you in the room while your DH has got him, so he knows you're there.

He is probably really over tired as well if he is struggling to nap during the day. I would go and see your GP or speak to your HV, it can't do any harm.

Hope it gets better.

H xx
  • Options
    The first three month'sof a baby's life are sometimes called the 'fourth trimester' -and for a good reason! Lucas associates your smell,your heartbeat and voice with safety, comfort and security, so when he wants to go tosleep, that's when he craves those things the most. It is hugely frustrating,and sometimes it feels like the umbilicus hadn't been cut after all, but it does end,I promise. DD was just like this, and by 6 months didn't want to know me at all,was all Daddy,and itwas heartbreaking!

Try stripping off the top you've been wearing and give it to your DH to drape over his chest or shoulder before handing him Lucas. Your scent combined with your DH's not-quite-Mummy-but-hey-I-sure-do-know-you-ness might just be enough to settle him. xx
  • Options
    Kayleigh-Mae has times like this, where no-one but mommy will do.
    Mrs Setters suggestion about the top is good. I do this whenever DH tries to give lo a bottle. She doesn't freak out as much if she can still smell me slightly. Sounds mad that your lo can sniff you out :lol:
  • Options
    Grace is the same and on the 2 occasions I've actually been out of the house without her she's been able to sense that I'm not just in another room and gets really stressed out. As a result I'm also doing every bedtime which makes evenings pretty knackering for me as dd1 is also a total mummy's girl and wants me to give her a last kiss and cuddle even when dh does stories etc with her so every night it feels like everyone wants a piece of me.

You're not alone!
  • Options
    every night it feels like everyone wants a piece of me.

Totally with you on that one Feebs. DD is doing similar things!
  • Options
    Sounds like your LO has got so used to you that he won't settle for anything less. If he's been falling asleep on you then when he gets tired he'll go for what he's got into the routine of doing. I know it's hard to listen to if Lucas is crying but why not let your OH hold Lucas when he gets tired and if he is crying you could quietly say (sh sh sh) next to him so he hears your voice - this might comfort him.

Also - Amelia has started crying before bedtime (for the last 7 nights now) - it seems to be a phase. OH and I take turns in settling her so she gets used to us both. Maybe it's a 'development' thing.
  • Options
    Think Jayne and MrsS's suggestion of the clothing is a good one. I don't have this problem - Matilda couldn't care if it was the cat cuddling her!!!! (which makes me a bit sad - the grass is always greener, hey?). Tri - Matilda has started a similar thing at bedtime x