Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

daytime naps

Has anyone got their lo into a daytime nap routine yet or are you just going with the flow? I've been going with the flow with grace but after a couple of nights where she's been really hard to settle I'm wondering if I should get into more of a routine in the day and make sure she has naps in her crib as much as possible.

Today she's hardly slept at all and her first nap (45 mins) was in the car but I did manage to settle her for 40 mins in her crib just after lunch. I'm not sure how much sleep she should ideally have in the day. Yesterday she prob had close to 4 hours as we were in the car and out and about a bit. Is that too much?

Xx

Replies

• Options
    We just go with the flow, if we're out & about she usually sleeps & can go all afternoon sleeping at other times she power naps an hour max. But I always find that at around half 9 it's sleep time & off to bed she goes & sleeps to 3 or 4 has a feed & stright back down. I don't think they can ever have too much sleep, maybe only if it's meaning not sleeping at night. I thought we wouldn't get much sleep last night as rhea had slept from 12 till half 5 but she then slept from half 9 at night through till 7 this morning got up for a feed & then slept till nearly 10!!!

So really I think go with the flow unless it's upsetting ur nighttime sleep

jayne xx
  • Options
    How well does rhea settle at night jayne? Were trying to get grace to bed straight into her crib rather than in the Moses basket downstairs but every night is a battle so far and often ends up taking so long I just end up going to bed as well!
  • Options
    Hi hun,

Benjamin is generally really good at night with his routine, but we have no routine at all through the day. Like you, it just depends what we're doing as to how much he sleeps. If we're out and about he will sleep in the car seat/pram sometimes, though it is by no means guaranteed. We generally are out of the house a lot but if we ever stay in - usually at weekends when Alex is off - then sometimes he won't sleep all day, or will have short cat-naps. He gets really really grouchy in the evenings, presumably because he is tired. He goes down at 7.30pm which I think is early enough so I am thinking we should try to get some sort of daytime naps established too, except I have no idea how to go about it...!

xxx
  • Options
    We go with the flow too Feebs although I'm not sure how well it's working to be honest as bedtime can be a bit hit or miss! We try to put her down at about 7pm and sometimes we don;t hear a peep and then other times (like tonight!) she takes ages to settle (these are usually the days she has had less sleep in the day so is overtired!) x
  • Options
    Amelia has three daytime naps. The morning nap depends on when she wakes up - it's normally about 90mins after she has woken up i.e. wake up at 7am - sleep around 8.30 - 9am for 45 mins. She then takes an hour nap around lunchtime (ish) and about 90mins around 3 - 5pm. I haven't put her in a routine, that seems to be how she likes to roll.
  • Options
    Rhea fights her sleep most nights. But we give her a bottle & wind her. Then settle her a bit & put her in her room with her nightlight & music, then usually when the music stops she is out for the count. Sometimes she will really fight the sleep but usually another 1oz of milk puts her over.We usually put her down at around 9ish.
  • Options
    Amelia has three daytime naps. The morning nap depends on when she wakes up - it's normally about 90mins after she has woken up i.e. wake up at 7am - sleep around 8.30 - 9am for 45 mins. She then takes an hour nap around lunchtime (ish) and about 90mins around 3 - 5pm. I haven't put her in a routine, that seems to be how she likes to roll.

Hi Tritread,

Can I just ask - do you put Amelia in her cot/basket for these naps and have it almost like bedtime, i.e. pull the curtains, in sleeping bag (if you use them) etc, or does she just fall asleep?!

Sorry if that is a daft question!!

xx
  • Options
    Was just going to ask the same thing ruth!
  • Options
    Well Feebs, I've just tried Benjamin's first proper nap. I put him in his sleeping bag, fed him, he dozed off and I put him in his cot with the curtains pulled. I put his monitor on and went and had lunch, he was totally silent so I thought he was asleep....oh no! Wide awake & just starring at his mobile. After about an hour he started to grizzle so I got him up. He's now asleep on me after feeding! We're off swimming in 30 mins so I don't have time to try putting him down again now so will try again tomorrow...xx
  • Options
    After craving some kind of routine for the last couple of weeks I decided to try coaxing Rhodri into something this week. I started on Tues with the evening and bathed him with dd, bedtime routine etc then put him in his crib in our room whilst I put dd to bed and he was quiet, so I left him to it, he fell asleep himself and slept through til 2am for a feed then til 6.30am.

I tried that again last night and he wouldn't settle so I brought him down with us as we had friends round and he slept on us then went down asleep in his crib when we went to bed and did the same sleeping pattern as above.

As for the daytime, he's taking after my dd and is a fairly sleepy baby. He likes to sleep almost straight after, or no more than an hour after his early morning feed and has done that for the last three mornings in his crib upstairs or on our bed. This has been fab as I've been able to spend time with dd. We then follow the EASY routine as set out in the Baby Whisperer book which is basically, Eat, Activity, Sleep, You (not managing the last bit yet!). It really works for me as it's pretty flexible and adapts well. We're usually out and about but Rhodri usually needs to go to sleep after about an hour and a half of being awake - this awake time includes feeding and changing - and will often sleep until his next feed. That pretty much means he's asleep most of the time! The afternoon tends to be more catnapping though than proper sleep.

Can't get him to settle himself very well at the mo unless it's in the car or pushchair.

It is a bit of an enigma this sleep/routine thing!
  • Options
    Hi guys. With Amelia, I usually put her in her cot in the nursery for the daytime nap. I don't use her grobag - just put a blanket over her if she is cold but mainly she sleeps just in her clothes. I pull the shades slightly but I want to make sure she understands the difference between daytime and night time.

If I am downstairs and want to keep her with me, I put her in the buggy carry cot and she sleeps in that. Sometimes she does need a dummy to help settle but it drops out pretty quickly.

She is 10 weeks old now and it has taken 2 weeks to get her into this routine but it is starting to work.
  • Options
    Well we've been out for most of today so apart from 20 mins this morning when she dozed off in her crib all Graces napping has been in her car seat or on me.

After a really good night last night (settled herself in her crib at 9pm with only one little grizzle, she slept til 3.30 and then settled back in her cribn til 6.30) I'm really worried that she's slept too much today (a 20 min, 60 min and 2.5 hour nap between 9 and 4.30). Fingers crossed tonight goes as well as last night....!
  • Options
    Wahey! Rhodri's gone down for the 2nd evening our of 4 - that's a 50% success rate which I don't think is too bad! He went down at the same time as dd at 7.30pm. It's all I can do not to crawl into bed now but DH has just said "oh, we can have a nice cwtch on the sofa together this evening".....oh crap!