Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

(Bottle feeding question) 7oz for a 9 week old

Hi,

I was just looking for a bit of advice. My son who is 9 weeks old is on 7oz at the moment of SMA Gold but he is completly finishing these off now, so will be moving him up to 8oz. He is gaining weight fine and all in his lines in his graph etc

But i have looked on the tin and he is only meant to be on 5-6oz?????

So i don't know whether to change him to cow & gate comfort so its a bit thicker for him or just to leave him on SMA Gold and move him up to the 8oz???

Thank you for anyone that has any advice. I have also put this on bottlefeeding as well

xx

[Modified by: MrsR. on 21 June 2010 11:48:13 ]

[Modified by: MrsR. on 21 June 2010 11:49:11 ]

Replies

• Options
    Babies are excellent at knowing exactly how much food they need, and rubbish at reading the sides of formula tins! If he seems to want the 8oz, give it to him, he may be having a bit of a growth spurt and might well drop a few oz in a week or so, but even if he doesn't, as log as he is happy and healthy and well in himself on his feeds, I'd just follow his lead.

I wouldn't change milks unless he is having problems with his current milk either, it can lead to tummy upset and constipation if you make a sudden unnecessary change, especially to a thicker milk if it's not needed for reflux/colic etc. The first milks meet babies needs so if it's just a volume issue I'd just increase volume and leave him on the Gold.
  • Options
    i second Mrs Setters view - stick with the milk you are on & increase the bottle to 8oz.. Babies are just like adults & don't all have the same metabolic rates & needs.

I've had exactly the same with both DS1 & DS2 where they take/took far more milk than their age & weight would suggest they should. DS2 is now 9 weeks & has 5 x 9oz bottles (doesn't always finish them all) each day despite being small when born.

DS1 (now 22 months) was a lot bigger at birth but also took a lot of milk, when weaned ate far bigger portions than 'normal' & still eats far more than others at nursery - however he has never gained any excess weight & if anything could do with gaining a bit so he doesn't look quite so skinny!

Xxx.

• Options
    As my hv says babies can't read tins!!!! As long as he's healthy & gaining weight who cares if he's having 5 or 8 ozs!!! Rhea is 12 weeks & is having 6oz bottles, but is gaining a steady weight & that's all that matters. I really wouldn't change the formula unless he's not agreeing with the one he's on!

Jayne xx
  • Options
    My little boy is the same age and is having exactly the same amount. I wouldn't worry, if he wants it then just let him have more.

As long as he is healthy, that's all that matters

H xx