Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The incredible sleepless baby...

Daisy was awake for 19 hours straight yesterday imageimage How is this even possible?! She finally went down at 11.50pm last night and did have a fairly normal sleep and she's had a 2 hour nap since 8.30am this morning, but that's it today.

I thought small babies were supposed to only be able to stay awake for 2 hours at a time.

Pah!

Replies

• Options
    Blimey Liz! We were talking about sleep at my post-natal group yesterday and 8 week old babies typically have 15 hours sleep spread over the night time and 3 naps so I'm guessing 6 week old babies (is that how old Daisy is?) should be on even more. Looks like she got the figures the wrong way round! Have you spoken to the HV about it? You must be shattered! x

[Modified by: KayeCee on June 16, 2010 07:45 PM]

• Options
    Omg liz! You must be exhausted! Grace is a bit of a monkey about daytime naps - some days (like today) she'll sleep for no more than 15 mins at a time and no more than an hour in total. She is getting slowly better overnight and is going down between 7-8pm and sleeping through til her first night feed sometime between 1 and 3.30. After that she's usually up every 60-90 mins though so we've a long way to go!

I hope Daisy sleeps better for you tonight. She must be shattered too!

Good luck hon. Xxx
  • Options
    Amelia was the same. She would wake up at 4am and stay awake until 9pm at night. At 8 weeks we started to see a change and at 10 weeks, she finally started napping during the day. Hang in there.
  • Options
    To be fair, it's not every day, she's snoozing away in her swing at the moment! I would say that twice a week she barely sleeps and the other days she will usually have one longish nap of 3-4 hours during the day.

I know all babies are different and I hope she's taking lots in, I just worry that the lack of sleep will impair her ability to process all the information and get some rest (I know it has this effect on me!).

On the plus side, the night time sleeping isn't too bad as a rule, so I shouldn't grumble.

Kayecee - I did mention to the HV a while ago, but she didn't seem to think it was an issue. She is a bit vague though sometimes!
  • Options
    gcing from bim my lo now 11 weeks sleeps around 9 hours at night in one stretch and one nap of around an hour during the day i asked my hv if this was alright and she said if hes happy when hes awake and eating well and is alert then its fine, its a sign of intelligence (or so she said) they dont need as much sleep to process things.i dont know but it makes me feel slightly better when ive been entertaining him from 6 to 11 at night!!!
  • Options
    I know how you feel. It's a real struggle to get my little boy to go down for naps and in the evening. Some days he doesn't nap at all and gets so overtired he then won't sleep at night. I have wondered how it's possible for him to stay awake so long! A dummy helps sometimes (used to be snobby about using them but not any more!) although about 50% of the time he just spits it out. Also white noise - a fan has been good in this hot weather! But mainly i realised that he was in pain whenever he lay down flat because of relfux, so no wonder he doesn't want to sleep - does your lo have any issues like that or is she otherwise happy?