Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

6wk post natal checkup

Hi ladies
just wondering what to expect at the 6wk post natal checkup. I'm booked into the doctors next week for myself and baby and no idea what the doctor will be checking.

I'm also planning to sort out contraception then too. What are you ladies going to use?

Replies

• Options
    With my elder children, the post natal check was an internal examination to make sure everything was okay. Also you discussed contraception. With my youngest son I never had an examination, in fact I never say the doctor, just the family planning nurse, so I really don't know what to expect this time. Also mine is happening 2 weeks later than it should as they had no appointments available, I have a really crap surgery
    As for contraception, DH is getting the snip, so until he's given the all clear then i'm going to have to go back on the pill, which I hate as I struggle to lose weight when I take it.
    Karen x
  • Options
    I've got mine next week & so I spoke to a couple of friends who've just had theirs and they said it's a bit of a waste of time. They will check you don't have postnatal depression, check you've stopped bleeding, if you want them to have a look at where you were stitched they will, might take your BP, discuss contraception....I think it's just another form filling exercise for most, though I guess it's good if you do have a problem x
  • Options
    My experience last time was similar to what Ruth's said- bit of a waste of time for me with the doctor. He asked about contraception, I said "abstinence" and that was about it! I had had a consultant check up at the hospital though due to my 3rd degree tear last time. I'm going to ask them to examine me this time as I'm having problems with thrush and I want to be reassured that the stitches have healed properly.
    The baby checkup however is a much more structured affair with them checking hips, reflexes etc. They have a checklist they go through.
    xx
  • Options
    I had a c section last time so the doc had a good feel (externally) of my stomach and checked my scar but most of the appointment was about checking baby. It is a male doc at our practise who does the checks so I doubt I'll be offered (or want!) an internal exam this time either as my birth was really straightforward. X
  • Options
    I had mine last week. She just checked to make sure I wasn't still bleeding, made sure my womb had contracted back to normal, checked how I'd healed from my tear, give me a smear cause I had my trousers off already, gave my a bp & urine check. Then discussed contraception, (we're using condoms as anything hormonal like the pill just disagrees with my body). Didn't bring lo but she will be seen when she gets her 1st jabs.

Hopes this helps, I really didn't no wot to expect.

Jayne xx