Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take :-(

Daisy has never been a great sleeper, but I feel like we are really regressing. Last night 1hr 5 mins was the longest uninterrupted period of sleep I had.

To give you some background, Daisy has a touch of reflux. About 10 weeks ago, I stumbled on the fact that if I put her on my shoulder to wind her after a feed in the evening/night, and waited 20 mins, I could then put her down asleep. Anything less that 20 mins doesn't work. I can sometimes rock her to sleep, but she won't self settle at all.

We have a pretty good bedtime routine - bath, book, boob, bed, although it is pretty hit and miss as to whether the bed part pans out! Up until about 3 weeks ago, she'd got a bit more consistent, going down at about 9.30pm and sleeping until about 7,30am, waking once for a feed (any time between 1am and 5am). More recently, she has been going down earlier (it was 7pm last night), but then is waking anything up to 5 times a night. She has been up for the day at 6.15am for the last few days.

I leave her to grizzle for a while, but it always escalates into crying. I'm not convinced that she's really hungry, but feeding her is the only way I can get her back down. With the 20 min wait, this means at least 35 mins. Last night she was really unsettled and cried for a while when she woke at 3.30am, took me over an hour to get her back to bed.

It probably doesn't help that I'm on my own all week as DH is working away. He usually takes her on a Friday night, just bringing her to me for feeds (she won't take a bottle either!), but he does the resettling so I can catch up. Interestingly, she has only woken once the last 2 Fridays whilst in with him.

Any ideas? I really don't want to do any kind of sleep training with her before she's 6 months. I did let her cry for a few minutes last night whilst constantly holding her hand and rubbing her tummy, but picking her up is the only way I can calm her down. I have tried putting her down whilst she is content and staying beside her for reassurance, but she always starts crying.

She has jabs today so I was going ask the HV for her input at the baby clinic, but in my experience she is about as much use as an inflatable dartboard.

Help!

Replies

• Options
    Oh Hun, didn't want to r&r. This must be a nightmare for u. I don't have much advice, but how about trying her with a dummy? U may find she goes back over to sleep without having a feed if ur convinced she's not hungry? Or maybe as it's come on suddenly maybe a wee growth spurt.

Big hugs, hope daisy settles soon

Jayne xx
  • Options
    Morning Liz. We are having similar problems although Matilda is pretty good at going straight back down after a feed. Thing is, she does this 3 times a night and then decides shee is ready to get up bright and early (5.45 this am!). Anyway, I am staying at my mum's at the mo and talking to her this am (she is a HV) she said she would normally suggest just offering water in the night to try and break the habit (not sure how this will work though if Daisy won't take a bottle). I really feel your pain - it's a real cumulative effect isn't it. It gets me down most days that I am just so, so tired.

We also have the thing where she sleeps for DH - he did Sat night and she slept til 5, took a feed and went back down til half eight! Ggggrrrr.

PS Didn't mean to hijack your post just want you to know you are not alone!!!! xxxx

• Options
    No problem, I know I'm not the only one! It feels like having a newborn again.

Thanks for the input Jayne - she won't take a dummy either the little madam!
  • Options
    Oh hon, I really feel for you. As you know I'm having similar ups and downs with Grace's night feeding, although I am lucky that she goes down well at 7ish and also goes down pretty much straight away in the night after her feeds. Like you though I'm not entirely convinced that she needs food when she wakes in the night but it's the only thing that will settle her. I'm also finding now that she's bigger it's harder to just snuggle her to sleep as she's a bit too long to be comfy on my chest anymore.

This isn't overly helpful I realize, the only glimmer of hope I can offer is that bar a 3 feed night last night, we've been back down to one feed a night for nearly a week and that was after more than 2 weeks of 3 or more feeds so I assume that 4 months must be a key growth spurt time and that Daisy will start sleeping through a bit more once she's over this phase. The reflux must be making things harder for you though - at what age do they tend to outgrow it?

Sorry, I don't feel like I've been particularly helpful here... I really hope things get a bit easier soon.

Xxxx