Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

So who is team yellow?

I am not planning to find out the sex of our baby before it's born, but I seem to be in the minority. Also looking at newborn clothes out there, I am really disappointed to see that there are barely any neutral clothes - the majority appear to be baby pink or blue.

So...is anyone like me and planning NOT to find out? Our reason is that it is our first and we would like a suprise as we would be happy with either a girl or a boy. Are you also finding it hard to find clothes in neutral colours?

We are also finding it suprising that friends and family appear to think we are silly not to find out. I am not sure why. Maybe because it appears to be so out of the ordinary these days to keep it unknown. I didn't realise until now how in the minority hubby and I are!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Bianxuk,

I think we are going to be Team Yellow :cry: Much to my dissapointment.

I want to know, he doesnt.... I still have a few weeks to work on him, but the reason i want to know is the clothes saga. There is nothing, or at least nothing nice, in a neutral colour?

• Options
    I would rather not know but definitely agree about the clothes saga!! I am really shocked how little there is!!

I've seen some nice things in baby gap but they are very expensive!! I got a couple of bits from there and a 7 piece set from marks and sparks but nothing else. I will have to get husband on a major shopping trip when bubs arrives he he! Xxx
  • Options
    Yes we are going to stay team yellow. Hubby wants to but I don't. Ive only bought one little sleep suit from next as I havn't seen much else.

I was undecided if i was going to find out with my ds but when I we were in and she asked I couldn't help say oh go on then lol

Most of my friends and family think we should find out but my mum doesn't so its nice to have her on my side x x
  • Options
    We're staying team yellow too for the same reasons really, its our first so want the surprise factor when bubs arrives image . Originally I wanted to find out but OH didn't so I reluctantly agreed not to but I have to admit now that i've got my head around waiting i'm quite excited about it. Totally agree about the clothes though, there hardly seems to be any choice of neutral things - I guess it means we might spend slightly less though (at least I think thats what OH is hoping for ha ha!!!!). Also feel very much the minority as we have a few friends pregnant or recently having had babies and everyone else found out & seem to think we're strange for waiting....

xx
  • Options
    We are staying team yellow and I agree with you about the lack of neutral clothes!! x
  • Options
    We're staying team yellow for the second time...clothes shopping is a pain, we've got all the first bits from ds which are all really boring, but I did order blue babygrows from next when he was 2 days old lol!
  • Options
    Hi image

Im team yellow this is our 4th and we like the surprise image

Go team yellow !!!
  • Options
    were staying team yellow . we didint find out last time either and was always hubbies jobto announce what we had.gave him a special job for labour and he felt involved. there are not many things in life left to surprise!

xxx
  • Options
    Ahhh how lovely! There seem to be a few of us who aren't finding out!

i do agree it's a nice thing for your partner to be able to and tell everyone after the birth. xxx
  • Options
    We are staying team yellow too! It's our first and we want the surprise image I think it will keep me going through labour! Just heard the heartbeat for the first time this morning image Soooooooooo exciting! We are going for a cream/beige type nursery and finding things for that has been fine, but haven't really started looking at clothes yet...
  • Options
    my brother and sister in law are expecting and it was a nightmare getting clothes! we went to mammas and papas, got a few mint green and peach grows from mothercare, next had a few white items and thats it really! just waiting for the baby to arrive then we can splurge the cash on team blue or pink!
  • Options
    I'm also team yellow, we didn't find out with our DD so have decided to keep it a surprise again.

I know what you mean about the clothes issue, however my advise would be not to buy too much anyway beacuse once baby is born I can guarentee you that you will be inudated with clothes from visitors and also you will not want to put baby in neutral colours and instead will go overboard on anything pink or blue depending on what sex baby is!
  • Options
    Wow praise to all you team yellow people, i simply couldn't do it (last time or this time round) but am in awe of your willpower that you can wait!

My friend had a top tip for Team Yellow, it is very tough buying nice neutral clothes that are truly neutral and once your baby is born you will want gender specific clothes not all neutral. So while you have to buy some essentials, ask everyone else to hold off and treat new baby once it's born!

Most important part of the tip: When you out shopping keep a very specific list of stuff you've seen in both boys and girls clothes you like, what it was (take a pic), where to buy it and put away the amount you would have spent buying it eg. ??23. Once you baby is born you should have a good list and a bit of cash put aside, so sit online and order all those lovely things in pink or blue and feel extra virtuous for staying team yellow and saving all that cash!
  • Options
    We're on team yellow too, same as last time. I just bought one little outfit and some white vests and sleepsuits (1 pack of each) for the birth last time. That was enough to get us through the first few days until the gifts started arriving LOL.
  • Options
    Gd too flirtyfill...i like making lists LOL!

Go trama yellow....i love a suprise! I have stopped buying neutral stuff now n will splurge once baby is born x image
  • Options
    Hi ladies, i am also staying team yellow. This is our second child. I am also struggling to find any nice neutral clothes but you will probably find that you get lots of clothes bought once the baby arrives. I am going to buy a nice pink and blue outfit to take into hospital with me so i have a nice outfit for when baby comes home.

Emma XX
  • Options
    I'm new to BabyExpert, haven't been over her since planning my wedding on YAYW in 2010! (Defected to Hitched and their BT page!)

I'm another in team yellow....agree completely on the lack of gender neutral clothing out there. And a note to the shops, we don't all want white, some of us want brighter colours too!!

We don't want to find out as it is our first and we want the surprise. TBH we'd be happy with a boy or a girl, and as my MW said, not knowing gives you that extra incentive to push - a nice surprise at the end! x
  • Options
    Go team yellow! Xxx
  • Options
    We're staying yellow for the second time. It was really magical last time when after baby was born the midwife held her up without saying a thing and I shouted "we have a girl".

I found some neutral bits in Matalan and Mothercare and we had some white sleepsuits too, so we're recyling them again (another money saving tip there - if you stay yellow you'll always have the first sleepsuits for the next one). We got loads of presents and hubby went out to get some girl's bits when she was a few days old so we didn't go short.

Oh and another tip - when you start going out and about when they're tiny EVERYONE will stop you and talk to you. If I was feeling antisocial then I'd dress her in something neutral and wouldn't get stopped half as much as no one wanted to say "is it a girl or a boy".
  • Options
    Hello Everyone!

Team Yellow all the way here!

Looking forward to the surprise at the end of it but we've been told to make sure we tell them at our 20 wk scan (next week) that we don't want to know, as they will probably assume that we do want to know rather than assume we don't want to know...guess we really are the minority...