Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Working mums........

Hi All,

Statring to think about maternity leave now..its getting closer ladies!!

So how long are you taking? And what are your intentions for child care when you get back to the grind?

So much to think about image

Replies

• Options
    Biggrin I am taking the whole 52 weeks I think it is sO a year il only get paid for 9 months and not at full pay.

I'm not sure I will b going back in only work part time but my wages would cover the child care costs and I always said I wanted to stay at home. Luckily we are in a great position where I can do that.

X x
  • Options
    Im the same as Faye. Will be taking the 52 weeks and its doubtful I will go back. Im part time and lucky enough that I don't need to work really. No point if my fuel and childcare take up all my wages! xx
  • Options
    I'm taking 39 weeks from my part time employment as that's all that is paid, then I will return to work. But this is only 3 hours a week!! My Self Employment work well no replacement income from that so guess i plan to play it by ear and see how long we can survive without extra money! Managed to downscale our lifestyles sufficiently last time round losing a large city wage and haven't exactly felt deprived so sure we'll manage. My babies will be my luxuries!
  • Options
    I'm taking 6 weeks a/l then the 39 weeks at smp then 3 weeks unpaid so I don't go back until after my birthdayimage

I only work part time now anyway - just do Saturdays, wasnt worth doing more as paying for childcare after ds xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I am thinking to take whole maternity allowance and then come back as part time employee image
  • Options
    This time I'll probably take the full year and go back 4 days a week if I can. Last time I took 9 months and went back full time, working compressed hours (I do 10 days hours in 9) but that time I knew the plan was to have another quite quickly, so I needed to save up for my mat leave!
  • Options
    I'm taking 6 months off then going back 4 days a week. I can't wait to spend time with my baby but I can't imagine being away from my work for longer than that! It's sad but I enjoy my job and it's such an important part of my life. Also maternity pay is poor at my place so would struggle for any longer.