Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Who's little ones sleep through...

..and who's don't...

Lily currently has a bath at 6/6.30ish mainly bcoz she is shattered by that time, then bottle of which she can only manage about 3/4 oz instead of her usual 6oz. She goes down by 7.30 and sleeps til about 1/1.30am, has another bottle and back down til between 4&5, but then wont settle and wants dummy every 5mins until 6ish when i get her up.

just wondered how eveyone else is getting on

Newlook & Lily 13 weeks x

Replies

• Options
    Our evenings are still a bit erratic, not sure if that's because she is bf or due to me being so unorganised! she will have a feed around 6pm, play and have a sleep. Then from around 8pm she usually has another feed, play and another small feed at around 10pm and up to bed. She had been sleeping till around 4-5am for a small feed but the last 2 nights she hasn't woken until after 7.30am! I hope it continues but won't hold my breath xxx

Cat & orla 15 weeks
  • Options
    James has his last feed at 7pm, goes down at 8pm and sleeps through until 7am. He has been doing this for a few weeks now, we have been very lucky with him.

Some nights he wakes up and I have to put his dummy back in but thats it really.

He is growing out of his crib so we are putting him in the cot at the weekend, he will look so tiny in it! We are putting it in our room as he isnt six months yet, so we have to move all our bedroom furniture around which is a bit of a pain!

Jem and James (16 weeks) xx
  • Options
    Haiden tends to have a bottle around 7:30pm and stays awake for a while after that, then when she drops of that's about it until about 7:30am. The issue I am having right now is the dummy thing, but I am hoping that having started her on baby rice in the morning and hopefully giving her some with her last bottle in the next few days might help matters x
  • Options
    Jack sleeps from around 10pm/11ish throught to anytime between 08;30-09:30am - has done since he was about 8/9 weeks. Mind you he has 9-10oz bottle when he wakes!! HV seems happy with that and this week his bottle after that he has been having 8oz and draining them!! lol
  • Options
    thansk for replying ladies. Kimmy and Jem - how much milk do you lo's take through the day? I know its just a amatter of time but i want it soooooooon!!!! lol

The dummy thing is a big prob for us putting it in about 20million times a night sometimes!! lol well, thats how if feels x
  • Options
    Haiden tends to have 5 bottles at 7oz each. The sleeping through the night thing just happened out of the blue, it took me by surprise to be honest! Though it doesn't mean I get a good nights sleep by any means! Apart from the dummy thing (which has got worse recently) I am constantly waking up to check she is breathing!

Does anyone else still do that? x
  • Options
    Hi kimmy i too am having a problem with the dummy waking up constantly for it to be put back in spoke to the hv about it today and she said the only thing i can do is make him go cold turkey on it if you like she said it will take 3 long nights with me in there with my hand on his chest to reassure him but will be worth it in the end. Think am going to start tomorrow!:\?
  • Options
    I'm lucky in that Alfie has slept through since he was 6wks old!

We have always done late feeds, last one used to be about 10.30/11pm but now his last feed is 9.30/10pm and he sleeps through until about 8am. We put him upstairs for naps throughout the day but he usually only catnaps, usually 45mins at a time, occasionally a little longer.
    He moved into his cot a couple of weeks ago as he outgrew his moses basket. We have to put a rolled up blanket either side of him just under his arms otherwise he wriggles everywhere and wakes. We found him sideways in his cot before we started doing this, the little monkey! I think it makes him feel more secure (got this tip off Kirsty!).
    He doesn't have a dummy, not my choice, it was his - he just won't take one. He's happier sucking his hand.

Shell & Alfie (14+6wk)
    xx
  • Options
    James has four bottles a day and takes between 7 and 8ozs each time x
  • Options
    Hi all, George has his bath at 6pm, feed at 6:30 (usually bf, although we're on formula at the mo due to a lactose intolerance) and is always asleep by 7pm, he wakes at 4/5am and then goes back til 7am.

He always been very good, he was sleeping for 6 hours straight at 4 weeks and at 10 weeks went straight through. Its only been in the last week where hes done it every night.

Claire & George 16 weeks
  • Options
    last night Lily fell asleep at 6.30 straight after bath and half an oz of milk, oh dear!! she is so tired earlier and cant stay awake. she woke at 10.30 had 4 oz and slept til 4.30, had 6oz and back til 7.45.

apart from put her to be at 6pm i dont know what else to try and 6oz is all she will take at the min

xx
  • Options
    My Bertie is sleeping through, we have been dream feeding him since he was very small and its worked brilliantly. His routine is wake at 6.30-7am then feed, feed again at 11am, 2pm, at 5.30pm he has his bath and 6pm his last bottle. Goes to sleep between half 6 and 7 and then I wake him and give him a bottle at 10 to 10.30. Sometimes I need to put his dummy back in at about 3am and at the worst he will coo for a while until he drops off to sleep but I do not give him a bottle in the middle of the night anymore as I dont want to give him bad habits. Think im very lucky really he is so good. He has been ill all week with Bronchilitis and his routine has stayed the same so he really is a good boy

Gxx
  • Options
    We've been lucky, LO has been sleeping through for 4 weeks now.

Bath at 6.30, bottle and down by 7pm. Self settles with no dummy ( her choice lol) and then "talks" throughout the night but no crying.

Wakes up about 8ish. She has usually 4 8oz bottles a day now, but was eating as and when during the day until last week. She's 15 weeks x
  • Options
    Joe is 15 weeks (big 4 months on Thursday!) from about 8 weeks Joe has been having a bath between 6 and 7 having a last feed at 7ish and then off to bed. he wakes at 4ish for a feed and back to bed till 7am. At weekends he has a little doze at 6ish and stays up til 9pm wakes at 5ish and back to bed till 9am! Lie in !!! Joe is bf and feeds 6/7 times a day about every 3 hours. he's a good baby, god love him x x x
  • Options
    Lily will get there honey I'm sure. Jack is 15 weeks amazes me how good he and feel so lucky that he sleeps through! He has slept through for a good few weeks now. He has 5x 8oz bottles per day and one spoonful of either baby rice, banana porridge or oats and apple cereal. He likes a good 10 hours so that is usually about 9pm until 7am but has gone 12 before!

She'll get there I'm sure and is doing well xxx
  • Options
    I am very lucky with Ella (unlike my first daughter) Ella began to sleep 6 hours solidly each night at 3 weeks old and ever since then shes slept longer and longer. Ever since I moved her to the big cot in with her sister at 10 weeks old she has slept like an angel. 10 hours each night without fail. She used to have her last bottle at 8 - 8.30pm and go down at 9pm. Now she skips her last feed. So she has her last feed at 7pm, a little catnap, a bath at 8pm and bed usually at 9pm but sometimes she gets tired at half 8 so I put her down then. Do not hear a sound from her until 6.30/ 7am depending on what time she went to bed.
    There is no particular time Ella sleeps during the day, she will have catnaps between each feed.
    My eldest daughter on the other hand used to sleep 7pm til 7 am but she has started to wake at 6am!!! If its not one its the other! Shes nearly 4!!!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Mine doesn't! Had got down to one night feed but then she added on another one again, wonderful! Have introduced a dream feed at my bed time to sort that out. So this is our routine:
    6.30: bath
    7.00: bottle then bed
    10.30/11.00: dream feed
    4.30: night feed
    7.30: morning!
    CAN'T WAIT until she drops that 4.30 feed! She skipped it once and I felt like a new woman the next day! Despite the feeds she's a good little sleeper though and not very wakeful in the night so guess I should be grateful ...

Helen and Roisin, 16 weeks.

[Modified by: littlerose on December 07, 2009 08:30 PM]

• Options
    Howexcited and GeorgieD, it sounds from your post that you managed to change your LOs feeding. How did you manage that? My LO has started waking twice in night for milk, around 1.30 and 5ish. I try putting dummy in but he doesnt settle. Any ideas how I can drop his night feeds? Its affecting his day feeds in that hes not drinking as much! Hes just gone 19 weeks old.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Lisa
  • Options
    My LO went through a stage of about a week of going back to waking up at 4am, and as you say then not drinking enough in the day.

I think it was my fault that I offered her milk (in a sleep induced haze) but she didn't want milk, she wanted to shout a bit.

She would take it if offered but I stopped offering and she didn't notice! Just carried on talking and went back to sleep.

LO used to snack rather than take good solid feeds so I started to eek them out. Now she is on a lovely 3 hour cycle, but was having 3oz here, 2oz there etc and messing with her milk really. Gradually increased the time between them so she was really hungry

Of a night time, giving cooled boiled water may help. How much is he taking when you feed him? Could it be his teeth that have upset him?

• Options
    Hiya, yeah I know what you mean about sleep induced haze! Think ive been guilty of that myself! I give him 6oz bottles and he very rarely drinks it all, despite being a big baby (he was 9lb 1 when born). If he has 2 bottles in night he never drinks 6oz only about 3 or 4. If he has one during night he generally drinks 5oz in possibly 5 feeds (between 7am and 7pm). I would like him to start taking 7oz as he should be but he wont drink it! I need to drop the night feeds then i think he will have more during day. I have tried water on and off but never stuck with it as he doesnt seem bothered! How do you increase the time between feeds? My LO shouts when hes hungry and then gets very upset if hes not fed!! Little sod, ha ha!! I do think he is teething. I wish he would go to bed a bit later but hes knackered by 7pm so hes waking at about 1am. Oh well! Maybe things will change when i start weaning him! HV coming tomorrow, will see what she says!