Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Lily is losing weight

Hi girls I have posted main topic in Baby, hoping they will be able to help me.
Basically, she always put on between 4 and 7oz per week, she doesnt have any other probs, like colic or reflux etc. 4 weeks ago when I got her weighed she had only put on 5oz in 2 weeks, I took her the next week and she had lost half an ounce, last week she had put on 3oz so I was well pleased, but today when I took her she has lost 5and half ounces - she now weighs 10lb 14oz. I am devastated!! Over the last few weeks the HV have told me to make sure I offer both breasts, which I do and she takes about a breast and a half on each feed. She feeds about every 2 and half to 3 hours (demand fed). The HV has advised me to offer her formula top up feeds, 3 times per day, and see what happens next week at weigh in. She then went on to say that she thought she had a very fast metabolism(and my milk may not be high enough in calories for her) and if it wasnt enough we would have to think about weaning her early. The massive problem I have is she wont take a bottle!!! have tried 4 different bottles this afternoon, including the nature nurture one which looks like a boob - she got some in her mouth (from the dribbles off the teat) but wont swallow it! I dont know what to do now, obviously I will keep on with the bottles, but I just want to get some weight on her ASAP!! Should I try weak baby rice? (was suggested by the other HV today)

Sorry a bit long, am so upset I feel like I have failed her.

Lisa & Lily xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Lisa, George has been very slow at putting weight on, hes 11lb 1oz and is 15 weeks old. It took him 3 months to put 3lb on and the HV is always on my back about it. Hes never lost any though. He is also breast fed.

Have you tried feeding her with a cup or a spoon, I think they do this with premature babies and I know my MIL did it with my husband when he was a baby and wouldnt take a bottle.

Does she feed in the night? My HV insists I wake George at 10pm for a feed, I do sometimes but not always. Is she happy and healthy otherwise?
    I really feel for you as I know how you feel. I feel like George is bottom of the class on the weight charts as hes fallen off the bottom line!

Sending hugs xx
    Claire xx
  • Options
    Lisa you haven't failed her at all. From the photos I've seen on FB, you've got a very cute, happy, healthy baby!

So long as Lily is happy and feeding, you're doing a brill job. Like the HV said, it may just be that she has a high metabolism. I think it might be worth a try with baby rice if she does need the extra calories, see how she goes. I also think Claire's idea re spoon or cup is a good one, as is the late feed. My mum always said to me that if you eat late and then sleep, because you're not burning it off, you put more weight on. It depends on what her sleeping habits are?

Chin up chick, she'll be fine.

Shell & Alfie
    xxx
  • Options
    hiya

have you tried having a few days of non stop feeding? go to bed do skin to skin and encourage her to feed as much as possible. It will keep your supply up and you may not have to worry about a bottle?

If you do need to use a bottle- make sure milk is nice and warm and get someone else to give it with you out of the room so Lily cant see/smell you.

why not try a bf helpline like LLL or NCT they give fab advice.

Good luck Anna x
  • Options
    Sorry Lily is losing weight Lisa but please dont feel like you've failed her. I only managed to feed Jack for 2 days as my milk couldnt satisfy him and he'd scream after a feed. I topped him up with a bottle and he gulped the whole thing so you've done a lot better than I did to get this far. She'll probably be a lot more active too so burning more calories than when they were tiny babies.

I think Anna's advice is good to try and ask someone else to give her a bottle as the smell of your milk will confuse her. Otherwise, a little baby rice may do the trick.

Good luck and let us know how she gets on...

Kirsty xxx
  • Options
    I found Holly got to a point at 13 weeks where my milk just wasnt filling her any more, in the afternoons I started to give her a small bit of baby rice which solved it for about a week but then she was getting really hungry again (just in the afternoons, this has always been her hungry time) so now I give 2 bottles of formula and its perfect

Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi girls, thanks for your replys, I am calmer now lol !!
    Well today we tried the cup feeding and she seemed to get it, she only had a bit but its a start! I have tried her with a few different bottles now and the most successful one is an advent one, so we are going to keep persevering with that one for the time being.

Claire - Its nice to know that its not just me, and that its not anything to really worry about - doesnt make it easier though does it! She has her last feed at about 8:30/9pm then as we co-sleep she gets fed in bed whenever she wants, its usually about 2:30 then about 5:30 (when Daddy gets up and wakes her up!)

Shell - Thanks hun! She is a bright happy baby, but I think thats what made it harder in a way, if she was teething or had just had a cold and gone off her food, then there was a reason, but there wasn't one apart from my milk was not cutting it for her, thats why I got so upset, that kinda made it my fault. I am much better today though, i just need to make her fatter!! lol !

MrsBlue - My supply is not the problem, its whats in it that is! The HV said she thought it did not have enough fats and calories to sustain her. I have lots of milk and have today been trying to express (though not that successfully) some of the fore milk off and then put her on, so she gets more of the hind milk, and she has been having both breasts for a while too. It just seems my milk doesnt have enough good stuff in it!!

Kirsty - I am really pleased that I have fed her for this long, but I think thats the problem - I couldnt understand why there was a problem after 13 weeks! am happier about it now - will be even better if she has put on half a pound at next weeks weigh in!! She took a few sucks from an advent bottle today that my sister tried her with, so will get hubby to try it tonight, so its not me doing it!

Lisao - you know its quite strange but in the back of my mind I think it is that, I just hope she will take to the formula and then I will try and do mixed feeding with her - hey if nothing else it will give me a little break!!

Thanks again girls
    Lisa & Lily xx
  • Options
    It could be a growth spurt too, if she is sleeping more and feeding more but losing weight little lily might of grown taller. my little man has just outgrown his 3-6 month clothes as he is tall. Poor mite his socks need to invite his trouser legs round for tea!

Sounds to me like you are doing a brilliant job mummy!

K x x x