Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hi girls - not been on for ages - how is everyone?

Hi everyone, ive not been on for so long and things have been going really well with Bertie. A brief rundown, he is now 8 weeks old and a real porker, he is wearing 3-6 month clothes and he has even got one pair of 6-12mth tracky bottoms. At 5 wks he weighed 6lb 12oz!!

He is mostly a very happy little boy, but he is very vocal, if he is bored or has tummy ache he really does let us know it. He had all sorts of bellyache related problems to begin with, not sure whether it was reflux, colic or both but he is on colief colic drops and infant gaviscon and both work a treat, whenever I stop one or the other he screams for hours in the evening so im using them both until he gets past the three month stage when apparently the digestive system sorts itself out. He is on aptamil easy digest milk.

Bertie is now in his cot and the moses basket is in the front room with a cushion in it so Bertie can be high up and sit up and watch whats going on. Im debating when to put it on e-bay. I decided toput him in the cot as he had a cold a couple of weeks back and where he was blocked up it sounded like he was catching his breath and we were scared he was not breathing. We wanted to use the Nanny breathing monitor and it would only fit in the pram or the cot, after a week of sleeping with the pram next to the bed we decided the cot was the way forward and took it apart and re-built it in our bedroom. He has taken to it really well so im really pleased.

He hasnt really got a routine, he was every 3 hours and he is so hungry its sometimes two hours and sometimes four or five. He still sleeps most of day but still sleeps loads at night. He wakes up at night for his bottle but doesnt cry and goes straight off again so its not too disruptive.

Mainly my days have been good. Ive caught up with some friends and been out shopping lots, im lucky I had some savings as Bertie now has lots of 6-12 month clothes already and ive got some nice clothes too. Ive bought Bertie some gorgeous clothes from the White Company and he has an all one blue checked sleepsuit he looks gorgeous in. Bertie goes swimming at little dippers on a Wed morning, he loves the water but cries a little when hes over stimulated but im sure as he gets older he will really take to it.

Im now all set to start weaning at 6mths. Ive ordered an East Coast Wooden Folding highchair and a Mothercare weaning starter kit, im also reading the Baby led weaning book and a friend gave me a fab book on finger foods for babies. I also ordered online a really good playpen for the living room called 'babydan felix wooden playpen', you can adjust the base of the playpen so the baby is higher when they are smaller and move the base lower as baby grows. Ive also got a fisher price rainforrest jumperoo as they are meant to be brill and my friends baby used hers from 4mths, provided baby can hold his/her head up.

Anyway im waffling now - hows everyone else doing? How are the routines or non-routines going? Breast feeders/non-breast feeders? Anyone bought anything good?

I cant believe how time is flying - hope your all doing well

Big hugs

Georgie and Bertie

xx

[Modified by: GeorgieD on 06 October 2009 08:44:31 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi Georgie (and little Bertie) Lovley to hear from you. Bertir sounds like a little gem bless him. Cant believe he has some 6-9month clothes! image lol

I am doing fine, Lily is just beutiful and in quit e agood routine (i think?) she has a bottle every 4 hours, bath at 7, bottle, then bottle at 1 am then 6am so not too bad i dont think....last night though i miss judged her and gave her a bottle at 6pm which messed up her feeding pattern abit but anyway we gave her a bath as she loves it, then she went down at 8pm and slept until 4am!!! so happy days what a good girl!

Time is flying your right - speak soon!

Newlook & Lily 4 weeks & 5 days x
  • Options
    Ah bless, Bertie still has about 7 bottles a day but he loves the bath too, he has one every morning and every night. its funny as if he has a crying fit I trick him into thinking hes having a bath and put him on his changing mat on the bathroom floor and he stops immediately and stares up at the spotlighting. As the bathroom is off the kitchen I sometime leave him there whilst im making some bottles lol.

I try to give Bertie a bottle every three hrs during day as if he goes longer he he is so grumpy when he wakes up really hungry. If hes eaten loads during the day he tends to go longer at night. Last night he had bottle at 8, 1 and 5am so I had 5hrs then 4 hrs sleep which was good.

Lilly sounds like a little sweetheart, im really enjoying this time of being a Mum. He is lying on the bed next to me at the mo propped up with cushions fast asleep - ah!

Gxx
  • Options
    awww propped up in bed, Lily loves that she is like the queen! lol
  • Options
    Hi Georgie, it is good to hear from you! Has Bertie had his injections yet?

We are really good thanks. Haiden is 9 weeks and 5 days old, and this time last week weighed 11lb 2 1/2oz. Her weight gain has definitely slowed down but the health visitors are happy with her. She isn't a guzzle guts at all- usually has 4 bottles of 6oz a day, of Aptimil 1. She can sleep during the night but hasn't the last couple of nights as she stayed with SIL the other day and had an extra bottle, which has disrupted the routine somewhat. Still trying to get back to it- hopefully I have it cracked for tonight!

We are still using sleeping bags- they have been a godsend. Haiden is still in our borrowed Moses basket in our room, but she is quite long so I imagine the cot will be in use soon. Thing is, our room is pretty small but I'm not ready to move her into her nursery yet. I'm getting paranoid!

During the day she sits in her moving singing Fisher Price chair, which we got for ??15 from a charity shop. It is almost ??90 in Argos! I'm also waiting for a pink bouncy chair that I have got from Ebay for ??5. We have a purple bumbo so are all set for when she can hold her head up, but not ready for weaning at all yet! Need a nice high chair!

I have started using Haiden 3-6 month sleepsuits as her feet our long, and I feel like they are being restricted by the smaller sleepsuits. She fits into the rest of her 0-3 month stuff fine though

Haiden has had a bit of a cold too! She has boogers up her nose that I just cannot get to! When I do get them out they are massive- I just don't know how they fit!

xx
  • Options
    Hi Kimmy, sounds like your a real bargain hunter! i bought a startlight swing on e-bay for ??10.00 but havent used it at all, Bertie doesnt even use his baby bouncer, he just doesnt like it, as I said he likes being my height so a cushion in the moses basket in the front room makes him happy.

Bertie has got a really cute sleeping bag but the one time I used it he puked on it so its back in the wash pile. He has another for 6-12 months so sure I will be using them this winter. I get paranoid he will be too warm in it at the mo tho as it is still really warm in our house.

Its brill you have her sleeping during the night, im sure it wont be long until Bertie is, he has less and less of his bottle during the night so im sure when he is on solids he will be full up enough to sleep through.

When Bertie had a cold I used a saline spray to wetten his nose and my neighbour gave me a pipe thing that you use to suck the buggers and mucus out, I used it a couple of times, it got loads out but Bertie screamed so i gave up and just used the spray which was really good as it made him sneeze and he had a good clear out! Its allowed as its just salt water.

Glad your doing well, your making it look easy!

Gxx
  • Options
    Hello!

All is well with us, James is nearly nine weeks and is now 13lbs 8oz - was 11lbs 9oz at birth - but hes not fat just very very long! He is in 3-6 month clothes and some 6-9 month babygrows, they are too big round the middle but he needs the longer length. I wonder how tall he will be when hes older!!

We are bottlefeeding as breast didnt work out, he takes five bottles a day with his last one at 10:30pm, he then sleeps through until 7am which is fab!

He is a very placid baby, doesnt cry too much and never cries for feeds, I dont think hes bothered about milk to be honest.

I am loving having a baby again, I appreciate that it all goes so quickly this time around so am treasuring every minute with him. My daughter (who is 11 tomorrow) is very good with him and he gives her the biggest smiles! xxx
  • Options
    Hey Georgie lovely to hear from you and to catch up with how everyone is getting along.

Fred is now 7 weeks and is 7lb 15oz (was 5lb 10oz at birth). Because he was so small he fed very regularly to start off with but has settled into every 3/4 hours now and is breastfed, but this week is having one supplemented formula feed as had a growth spurt last week and was really screaming all day with hunger. i thought he was ill, so felt a bit of a prat at the out of hours doc on Sat! But all is going well now. He doesn't have a set routine in terms of times cos his feeds vary. So he tends to have a bath sometime between 6 and 7pm, feed and sleep. he will go 3 to 4 hours between feeds through the night too. He tends to have about 15 to 20 mins of awake and happy time after each feed in the day, then starts to cry and I cuddle him to sleep, sometimes he will go down in his pram, sometimes he wakes again. i either cuddle up with him or put him in the sling or take him out for a walk. When he next wakes it's to feed again and so the cycle goes on.

I have had to express this last week as one of my boobs is really sore again. the doc thinks the stomach acid in Fred's mouth from his reflux has irritated it and it looks a bit raw. But having given it 3 days off, I am going to start again tonight as the expressing is getting a bit tedious. I am going to hopefully drop the formula feed in a day or two too.

I am loving being a mum, I'm so proud of him, he's adorable, but god it is so much harder than I imagined and sometimes the lack of sleep really gets to me. But it is so much fun and such a different life, I have gone from being a director of a company to feeling proud if I manage to get up and showered and dressed, my housework done and a little excursion everyday! It's fab! xxx
  • Options
    Hi Georfie,glad to hear you're getting on well. My boys are now 10 weeks 5 days and Ethan weighs 13lb3 (6lb7 at birth) and Jake is 12lb9 (6lb5 at birth) so both gaining weight really nicely.I did breast feed both for 4 weeks but in the end I just wasn't making enough milk,had mastitis and bleeding nipples so my hubby made me see that bottles would be much better for all of us,I did feel soooo guilty that I couldn't feed them though! They both have 5oz every 3 hours during the day,then a final feed at about 7. Ethan tends towake at about 11pm then 4am ish and Jakey doesn't wake at all until about 5am!

They moved into their own cots in their own rooms at 4 weeks old,they were disturbing each other a lot when they were in one cot in our room,this has really helped with their sleeping at night,they both take a bottle and go straight back down.

I'm really proud of the fact that we're managing to keep all 4 children clean and happy while also managing all the household chores,I really thought that we'd struggle but it's fine really,as long as we put on 2 washes a day lol.

I can't wait for them to start on food properly,they're both very interested already! After going to my twin club and finding that quite a few mums have already given their babies rusk mashed in formula I have to say we did try it yesterday (please don't jump on me!) they absolutely loved it,ate 3/4 of a rusk between them and were still full 3 hours later. Both have had poo's this morning so it obviously hasn't affected their tummies.

All in all,having twins is incredibly hard (hubby is out of work at the mo,and tbh I'm panicking a bit about how I'll cope without him) but it's great to see 2 big smiles in the morning,and seeing how 2 babies are literally like chalk and cheese,totally different but both adorable! No more babies for us though......

xxxx
  • Options
    Wow, you have tried them on solids? I hadn't thought when I might try this yet. Perhaps I'll bring it up at clinic and see what the health visitors suggest x
  • Options
    Yeah....I wouldn't have but all the others were putting them on it even earlier,and tbh I totally disagree with the 6 month advice,it was 16 weeks with my other 2 and they were just fine! Like I said,I don't see the harm with just trying with something plain like rusks,they loved it and coped really well,I still feel like a bad mum saying on here though as the "advice" given these days is soooo different! x

Ps,just a thought I found interesting (and vvv shocking) did you know that in Victorian times they gave babies cocaine drops for teething/colds? It's amazing anyone survived!
  • Options
    Im not convinced I want to start Bertie on solids yet, think I wil wait until at least 4 mths at the earliest but will probably wait until 6mths to offer him any. Been seriously considering trying baby led weaning as im reading the book at the mo but the main reason is that if I try to early it can aggrivate the digestive system and cause infection. As ive had problems with Berties uncomfortable digestion and he is currently usig both colief colic drops and gaviscon for every feed until his digestive system matures then I do not want to risk causing him any discomfort.

My neighbour started her little girl on solids at 16wks too and she took to it straight away

Gx
  • Options
    Hey hun! Lovely to hear from you. I don't get on here very often now, i'm always kept busy with my little lady and i've been trying to get out and about as much as possible as was getting a bit down with being on my own all the time.
    You've bought some fab stuff, I've been looking at the rainforest jumperoo as i've heard they're really good. Think i'll invest in one soon.
    Isabelle is doing great, she's jsut over 9 weeks now and weighs 10lb 13oz. She's not great at taking her milk and we really have to persevere to get her to take a decend feed! It like she's not all that bothered about food! hehe! She does not take after me for that one!

We've got an appointment with the consultant next Tuesday about Isabelle's heart murmur to see if they want to do a procedure to fix it as apparently normally they have gone by now! I'm so nervous and scared about what they will say, I don't want my baby to have to go through an operation. image I'm trying to stay positive about it, no point in getting myself worried and worked up over nothing is there.

I'm going to try and hold off weaning until as near to 6 months as I can, will see how things pan out nearer the time I think.

I'm really really loving being a mummy now, don't get me wrong...i'm shattered and have hardly any time for myself anymore...like today, i've not done my hair, it's greasy and it's shoved up in a bobble, I have no make up on and i'm sat in my jogging bottoms and a t'shirt! Before I had a baby, I always had my hair and make up done! hehe! I wouldn't change it though, i'd rather be spending time with Issy than pampering and preening myself! Although I will be grabbing an hour for a bath when daddy comes in tonight as my hair is verging on desperate for washing! hehe! I'm so glad that i'm enjoying it now as the beginning was so tough for me and I can't say I enjoyed it much at all.

Issy is giving me big gummy grins now and gurgles away in her own little language, she's a really happy little girl and doesn't cry unless she's hungry really. I feel so lucky.

We're going up to Manchester at the beginning of November to do some Christmas shopping at the Trafford centre, not sure how we're going to get on staying in a hotel with Issy and all that comes with her lol!

Hope you're all well and settling into mummyhood!

Linz & Issy
    xxx

It's lovely to have a catch up with you girlies...wish I could get on here more than I do.

xxxx
  • Options
    Well, Bertie went for his weigh in on Thurs and he is now, at 9 wks, 13lbs 7oz! He is great, he has always looked so chunky and so much like a baby and not like a little fragile alien at all! The HV says he is over average but whereas last time he had made a dramatic jump in weight he is now evening out.

Last night he was crying on the bottle and I thought he had tummy ache, it took me ages to realise that the teat kept getting blocked. I am now using the stage 2 teats and he has his bottle in half the time and seems to enjoy it more. I actuallly thought about transferring to stage 2 after reading a post on here as I was initially worried about his wind getting worse onn a faster flow but thinking about it, he is on aptamil easy digest milk which is think and he also uses infant gaviscon which thickens the milk so he must have a terrible job sucking it out of the teat, no wonder feeding knackers him out!

Anyway as Bertie has been extra extra clingy the last couple of days since having his jabs I too am wondering when the next time I will get to wash my hair will be - thank god for batiste dry shampoo thats all I can say.

I am also very relieved that yesterday when I had a flat tyre in Tesco car park that Bertie slept until the AA ma was ready to go!

Hope you all have a good weekend with your babies girls - big hugs xx