Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How often are our babies feeding?

Just curious to compare how much and how often our babies are feeding? bottle or breast.

Ella is 2 1/2 weeks old

Ella usually has 3oz every 2 hours during the day but then can go 3-6 hours between feeds at night. We worked out that she was having about 8-10 feeds in 24hours which is a lot BUT I have read babies between 2 -4 weeks should be having 4 1/2oz 6 times a day so I think she was making up for it.
Since this morning we're trying to make her wait 3 hours for each feed, rather than putting a bottle on as soon as she cries we distract her with a dummy, cuddles, singing, toys etc until she really is desperate for her milk. It works so far often she will fall back to sleep or lay there contented.

We seem to have a good routine at night too, her last feed is usually sometime around 8-9pm, we put her in the crib after and she will sleep until 1-2am, her next one is about 5am then 8am.

xxx

Replies

• Options
    James is just over two weeks old and he has about three ozs every three hours, during the day at night he has his last feed at 10pm, then another at 2:30am and we then get him up at 7:00am.

He seems pretty content with that and has regained his body weight so Im assuming its all ok! xx
  • Options
    Hey Ladies - i'm not really big on routines but have been lucky that each of my littles ones have settled into a good feeding and sleeping patterns early i'm breasfeeding on demand and my little angel seems to have fitted into a pattern that suits us all yippee (my two older ones sleep from between 7/8pm till 7.30am ). Anyhow so far Iris is breastfeeding well - she wakes at 6.30 which gives me an hour with her before my other two get up - she takes a full feed and is awake then till around 9 then sleeps for an hour - she has another feed at 10.30ish then is awake for a couple of hours then sleeps 12 - 2.30 - she then has another feed which tends to be a long one and sometimes a bit more at 5 but tends just to want the boobie for comfort at this time then in the evening / night she feeds at 7pm then 10.30pm - then 2am then 6.30am. So her feed times are:
    6.30am - 10.30am - 2.30pm - 5pm(mainly for comfort) - 7pm - 10.30pm and 2am.
    Not sure why that turned into a bit of an essay, and i'm sure this pattern will alter as she has growth spurts etc.
    Jo xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Fraser seems to cluster feed in the day, he'll have lots of feeds close together and then sleep for a few hours, I keep thinking he can't still be hungry, or fit more in but he is and does. At night he tends to feed about 10pm before we go to bed, then at about 1am, 4am and 7am and sleeps well in between so far (touch wood) so I feel like I'm getting a decent amount of sleep. Because I'm breast feeding I've no idea how much he's having but he's putting on weight so it's all good. x
  • Options
    Lucy is 5 weeks, she takes about 4-5oz each feed. her feeding times are 9am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm, after her last feed she can sleep until 2-4am.

Everything seems to be going well with that routine, although I do think if she was to take her last feed at 11ish she would sleep all night

xxx
  • Options
    Grace is 9 days old and feeds at 8am, 12am, 4pm, 8pm, 12pm I am breast feeding and she feeds for about 20 mins to 30 mins depending on when, its shorter at night longer in the mornings - she has put herself in this routine - now just need to get her to sleep in her basket - night 1 tonight!
  • Options
    Hi, I have just stopped breast feeding for various reasons and Bertie is so much more content with Aptimal formula milk. He is feeding 3oz every 3 hours so 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm, 1am, 4am. Occasionally in the night he will sleep for an extra half hour to an hour and occasionally he will have just 2oz or 4oz, I always put 4oz in the bottle just in case. He is putting on lots of weight so doing well, I was worried as he was sicking up his feeds and was very hungry but since switching to formula full time and the doctor prescribing infant gaviscon he seems so much more content.

Gxx