Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning help

Wondering if you can help as i've search the internet and can't find what I'm looking for. How much food should I be giving my baby at each meal if I'm going the puree way?

Say how many potatoes/carrots or will they eat a whole pureed apple?

I'm also following the guidance on the boxes for porridge and it looks like loads?

Any advice or books you recommend would be welcome.

Click Click

Replies

• Options
    Hiya Click Click,

Weaning guides say that to start with just the tip of a teaspoon once daily after a milk feed for the 1st 2 days.
    1-2 teaspoons for the 3rd & 4th day
    2-4 teaspoons for the 5th & 6th day
    upto 5 teaspoons on day 7.
    Week 2 after 2 of the daily milk feeds give upto 5 teaspoons.
    Week 3 after 2 of the daily milk feeds give upto 10 teaspoons.

This is only a guide though. Every baby is individual so trust your own instinct. Some babies may need less, some more. What I would say is make sure you give milk first as this is more important (upto 1yr old babies need to have at least a pint of usual milk daily - you can include milk used to make up porridge towards this daily allowance) so that they don't fill up on solids first.

Re the porridge I made up my own measurements as, like you say, the mixing guide makes loads! I use HiPP cereals & porridge (stay away from porridge though if there's a history of gluten/wheat allergies in your family until 6 months old). I used 2oz boiling water, add milk if required (instr will say) and then add the dry cereal until desired consistency. I find now that 4 heaped teaspoons to 2oz water/milk is a good amount for Alfie but he has is thicker now than when we first started. It's trial & error.

Alfie's meals & amounts at the mo (we started weaning a few wk ago) are as follows:
    1st and last feed of the day is milk only.
    2nd feed is milk followed by porridge.
    Next couple of meals are milk followed by approx 3 tablespoons of savoury puree and 1 heaped tablespoon sweet puree.

Hope this helps.

Shell xx
  • Options
    Floss78 is correct with the guidlines.

Re how many carrots etc - it is really hard to say as it depends how much you get when you have pureed them! The better way to do it is to puree a batch of somthing, freeze it in ice cube trays and then use cubes as above xx
  • Options
    Sorry Click Click, I never addressed the question about how many carrots etc.... I agree with immense, it's easier to puree in batches and then freeze in ice cube trays or little seperate pots (Boots do some good ones, in 1oz & 3oz sizes). Once frozen in ice cube trays I pop them out and transfer them to a tupperware tub quickly and replace in the freezer before they defrost so it leaves my ice cube trays free to make more!
    I found Ikea ice cube trays good as they're made from a flexible silicone so is easy to pop out when frozen!

Shell xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls that's a big help. I'm still a bit concerned she may be eating too much as she loves her food by the looks of things. This may be a daft question but roughly how many ice cubes do you give your little ones?
    I'll try and just go with it and check her weight in a couple of weeks.
    I'm doing all the cooking tomorrow!

Click
  • Options
    With my ice cube trays each cube is approx 1 tablespoon so after his milk Alfie has 3 savoury cubes and 1 sweet cube. But we have been on solids a few week. If you're not long starting on solids then try a smaller amount.
    Alfie would probably eat more given the chance but i think the amount I give him is plenty. I find that if he has eaten too much then he brings a little bit back up as his belly is full.

Don't forget to take photos!

Shell xx
  • Options
    my lo is actually 9 mths so there is no point saying what she eats now lol image

I actually used the annabel karmel trays for freezing and she used to have one cube of that to start with - which I would think is equivalent to 3/4 ice cubes. she would have eaten more too! I then decided to do more and let her have what she wanted! If she took too much she would bring it back up and then I would give her less! It is very much trial and error image