Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping!!

:\?Hi ladies

Just need to vent a littel on here as im feeling frustrated. I find it really difficult to get Lily to sleep during the day unless im holding her, if i put her down she either cries and cries or winges on and then ends up having a catnap and is more tired. I have tried putting her down awake but she has none of it apart from the odd few occasions.

We have a good nighttime routine, bath, pjs/sleeping bag and feed in bedroom at 7ish. She then wakes between 12-2pm for a feed and has started waking at 4am............but wont go back to sleep!!!!
im feeling really frustrated with it.
How long do you lo's sleep during the day? and how do u get then to sleep.

we have been awake from 4am tl 5.30 when she finally gave in then up at 6.30 and sheis still awake now, crying bcoz she is tired but wont go to sleep

any advice? xx

Newlook

Replies

• Options
    Hello lovely

Just replied in Baby

Sal x
  • Options
    Hello! Well until 13 weeks Roisin only ever slept on me during the day. I used the time when I transferred her to her cot at night times to break the bad daytime habit too and began putting her in the cot for naps, although I often still rock/cuddle her to sleep (am working on the self-settling but hey, one thing at a time ...). I wait until I can see she is tired, which is usually 2 hours after she gets up, then again at around 3 in the afternoon. I swaddle her and she knows that swaddle=sleep and I also put her dummy in.

It seems like little Lily is fighting sleep though, Roisin can do this too. With R it is usually when she is over-stimulated. I know this is going to sound odd but she likes it if I cover her eyes when she's like this! I use a muslin square or the corner of a sheet and remove it when she's asleep (before I put her down) - I guess it blocks out stimulus and calms her down. I have a forward facing pram and she finds it hard to sleep in that when we're out and about, but if she cries with tiredness I pull up her blanket for a couple of minutes and she's gone! Felt a bit odd doing it at first but have since noticed other mummys pushing babas with a blamket over them so I'm not the only one ... I mentioned it to my cousin and she said her baby was the same!

Hope this helps, good luck x
  • Options
    I find the EASY routine has worked for Jack newlook.. Brad never slept until he was 3 so I feel your pain! Looking back I started off with bad habits so a little more prepared this time round. I used to try and keep Jack up through the day to help him sleep at night but it worked the opposite to what I thought. The more sleep he has through the day, the better he has at night. I also used to try and get him to go as long as possible between bottles too but now have realised 5 bottles per day, 3 hourly and 3 naps = at least 10 hours sleep per night....

Jack's day yesterday went like this and is pretty much always the same:

8am - had to wake hime up by opening curtains and calling his name!

8:30am - nappy change and 1st bottle (8oz).

9:00am play time, top and tail and clothes on.

10:00am rubbing his eyes and a little chewy so give him a cuddle with his dummy then if he shuts his eyes, put him in his pram. If not, keep him a little longer then repeat until I know he's def tired. Push him back and forward a few times then he's flat out!

11:20 - woke up smiling from nap.

11:30 - creamy porridge in his high chair and abour 4oz of 2nd bottle.

12:00 face washed and nappy change!

12:15 rest of 2nd bottle and a stinky bum so another nappy change . (was too hastey I think! lol)

playtime until 1:30pm then tired again. Nap time as before in pram if stuck in house like yesterday but weather permitting, take him for a walk or go shopping where he'll fall asleep in car for this nap.

3.15pm woke from nap for 3rd bottle (8oz) then nappy change, playtime etc

5:30pm - last nap of the day but only let him have an hour this time. Sometimes he will miss this nap as he has started to do this week but yesterday he still had one.

6:35pm - 4th bottle of the day but only had 6oz this time.

7pm - Daddy in from work so little play then sat in his high chair while we had our evening meal. Playtime with daddy while I run his bath

8pm - bathtime

8:30pm - last bottle of the day still downstairs but with light off (nightime) and gets sleeping bag on. only had 6oz again before falling asleep. Usually has his bottle then when he's had wind up and tired, I take him to bed and lie on the bed next to his crib (hiding!) If he cries, I just stroke his head or put my hand on his cheek and he snuggles in.

He stirred at 2:30am but just put my hand on his cheek and he pooped, then yawned and went back to sleep! lol

Not saying it will work for you but Jack def needs plenty of naps through the day or will not sleep at night. If he misses naps like he did on xmas day, he woke at 12:00 midnight which he hasnt done for about 6 weeks!

Good luck honey, I'm sure you'll find her pattern soon and then you're sleepless nights are a distant memory.

K x

• Options
    Hi ladies thanks for replying.
    Well, yesterday after trying almost everything, cuddling,rocking, sofa/blanket, swing, she was crying and crying so in the end i went up and put her in the cot in the dark and put her lullaby on, i shut the door and came out. She SCREAMED for 4-5mins (felt like a lafetime!!) then went back up before she go too upset, popped her dummy is gave her a kiss and left again. she closed her eyes and was down 45 mins without a sound.i couldnt believe it. Last night she went to bed at 7pm slept until 1am, had 5 oz went back to sleep until 6.45am!!!! So, this morn got up she had bottle and a spoonful of rice then rest of bottle,played, at 9.30 she was winging and i caught her yawing so took up upstairs, agan in the dark, put dummy in and put my hand on her cheek for a few seconds and she was flat out for 45 mins again. Woke up,had bottle at 11.30, fell asleep at 12 so ive put her down and shes still asleep...

think ive had a breakthrough????? can that be possibly from 1 session of leavng her to cry?!? lol image

xxxxx

a much happier Newlook and content Lily x
  • Options
    How's little Lily getting on honey? Hope you had a breakthrough! x
  • Options
    Hi Kirsty

Well, i seem to have cracked the day time sleeping, although she only stay asleep for 30-45 mins it still works and she is much happier. Not sure how to get her to sleep longer?maybe she doesnt need more?

During the night she still wakes up between 12-2am for a bottle and we still get the 4am wake sometimes but last night she fed at 1.30am then slept unntil 7.15! which i am happy with.

Im not sure she will sleep through anytime soon....wish she would tho! im tiiiiiiiiiiiired xxxxx
  • Options
    Have you tried dreamfeeding? I introduced a dreamfeed at my bedtime and that eliminated the first night feed, a couple of weeks later she dropped the second herself (and this is a baby who used to feed every 1-2 hours in the night at first so it does happen!)

Also when I first started putting R down for naps she'd do 20/30 minutes max but this has gradually extended through time. I thinks it's as babies learn to self-settle when they surface a bit from sleep.

Helen x
  • Options
    Hi Helen

Yeah we did try the dreamfeed a couple of times which meant she would miss the 12-2am feed out but still wake at 4 but then wouldnt go back to sleep so we figured 1am-6am ish (on a good day) was better for us xx

The day time naps, yesterday she had 1 hour! so maybe it is because she has learnt to self settle x

We got up at 6.30am today and she is already back in bed lol xx
  • Options
    Jack mainly has naps for at least an hour in his pram but he can occasionally have a 30 minute one too. He's getting too big for his pram so will be converting to pushchair mode from next week and naps will be in his new big cot. I'm so nervous because he sleeps so well that he may not like having his routine changed.

Needs must but may be joining you in the sleepless nights for a while until he settles. I was going to ask the other day and forgot to ask Lily's weight? I read an article that babies smaller than 14lb struggle to sleep all night as they cant retain their calories or something similar. Jack was about 14lb when he started sleeping all night so she may not be far off?

K x
  • Options
    Hi hun
    i converted to pushchair a while ago....because she was too nosey!!! and wouldnt settle if she couldnt see haha. its easy enough to convert back to pram mode if she falls asleep so at least i can lie her flat image

Had her weighed yesterday and she is 14lb11oz! wooooo bless her.
    Damn injections yesterday too so we have been up since 4.30 as she has a temp of 38.7, calpol seem to be doing the trick and she is fast asleep now image xx
  • Options
    Hey Newlook, bloody brilliant! well done you on getting Lily to self settle, i am so envious! I tried for 5 days last week to get Fred to go down on his own or even sleep on his own. he will only be put down asleep and stay asleep if he's completely knackered, or if it's official bedtime. After spending most of the weekend in a darkened room with a screaming baby (he cried for 40 mins on one session, whether I held him or not, he was so upset!) I have gven it up as a bad job for now. I am moving him into his cot on sat so think I will try again in a month when he is used to it and a little older.

Kirsty I am relieved about the 14lb thing, Fred's still only 12lb 7oz so maybe there's hope for us yet! i bloody hope so, I don't want to spend all my time attached to a sleeping baby, much as I love cuddling him and the excuse to sit down and do nothing while he sleeps, I get stressed by all the things I need to do and can't! xx
  • Options
    Hi Slippers!
    Thank you - i am pretty chuffed and very relieved!
    Have your tried putting him down with his dummy (he has one?) and leave the room? Then go back after 2-3minutes of crying and pop it back in and leave again.

If i sit in with Lily or hang around while she cires she just keeps going and going because she knows i am there still (littel mokey knows how to play me!) Once i leave she knows i mean business so when i go back and pop dummy in i think she cant be bothered to go thorugh it again as crying doesnt get her anywhere lo.

I hate doing it but its the best and quickest way otherwise i can cuddle and fight with her for 15-20mins then sneak her down in cot for her to wake up and be back to square one.

Cruel to be kind really image (but...i am the worlds biggest softie and could cry everytime i do it so i know how u feel its so hard when you love them so much to see and hear them crying) xxxxxx
  • Options
    Hey sweetie, I have tried putting him down awake and leaving and putting him down asleep and leaving. If he's awake he just spits his dummy out and starts crying. I have gone up and down stairs so bloomin often to put his dummy back in, I'm wearing out the carpet! The longer it goes on for, the more upset he becomes. If i cuddle him to sleep then put him down he wakes between 10 and 20 mins later and we're back into the whole toing and froing to put his dummy back in! I think it's my own fault, as other than the first nap of the day, i never put him down in his basket before and now its confusing him. I usually put him down in his pram/carseat but its hit and miss as to whether he will stay asleep unless i go out for a walk and its in the kitchen so often he gets disturbed. I just want him to nap on his own upstairs, but i guess he will when he's ready. Just hope he's not a teenager by then!! xxxxx