Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hows everyones night-times? esp if still b-feeding

Hey,

hope everyone is well. I'm still b-feeding William and wondered if this could be why he still wakes in the night. After his bath i feed him, and generally he's too tired to have a full feed so wakes up 30-60 mins later and finishes his feed, i've been trying to get him to settle in his cot in his room before we go to bed so he has been waking up a few times before 1030 too, but would still wake in our room just not so many times. i feed him again between 10-11pm he then goes back to sleep in our room, (where he seems to settle better) but he still wakes up in the night. It's been twice for a few weeks now. but if u count how many times he wakes from being put to bed about 7 its a lot! he's had a bit of cold so could be a reason to why he'd wake, but im sooo tired i just need a good nights sleep. me and hubby had a day out he had expressed milk in a bottle and he slept longer then but he wont take a bottle from me all the time. i thought weaning him would help, but its the same. tbh i dont think hes waling cos hes hungry its just for the comfort. any ideas?? Becki x

Replies

• Options
    hey hunny - Bebe is the same. I am still bfeeding.

I will put her to bed at say 7.30pm - she will wake every hr for a suckle - not milk! (she is too cheeky) until 11pm. She is in our bed - as I co-sleep to get some sleep! She then wakes: 12.30am, 2.30am, 5am, 7.30/8am

I dont know if she wakes for milk or suckle as I am delerious lol xxx
  • Options
    I'm the same and it's driving me insane. I would give my right arm for a good nights sleep.

X x x
  • Options
    Fraser's different every night, some times he can wake 4, 5 or even 6 times, sometimes it's just once. My boobs often don't know whether they're coming or going! When i'm absolutly shattered i just try and think that one day that one day night feeds will just be a really lovely memory. x
  • Options
    Hi Becki. Nice to hear from you. Sorry you're not getting much sleep as I know from my first one how hard it is. Well done to you all for bfing so long. I managed 2 days exclusive bf, then combined for 2 weeks so you all put me to shame! Jack is bottle fed so think that probably makes the difference for sleeping. He does 11-12 hours per night without a feed and sometimes just stirrs and wants his dummy. Haven't fed him through the night since he was about 10 weeks old. (probably not what you want to hear - sorry!)

Hopefully once you combine or drop the bfing, he will sleep or do you plan to feed him until he's off milk all together? Has he ever had a dummy? Jack doesn't wake up hungry, just sometimes wants his dummy for comfort and a I put my hand on his cheek settles him. Hoping someone else has any advice but didnt want to read and run.

K x
  • Options
    Hi, I'm still bfeeding. Feed LO after his bath then he's asleep by 8pm, then feed him again when I go to bed (sometimes he'll want an extra feed between this), then during the night it's random - really bad night is every hour (or more!) or very good night is twice more. He sleeps about 10 or 11 hours. Exhausting stuff isn't it!? But still hope to continue bfeeding til he's a year old. Good luck to everyone, hope one day we manage to get a good nights sleep!

xx
  • Options
    i'm bottle feeding but harrys still up once during the night for a feed. Some nights he will sleep from 7 till 5am before waking sometimes later but usually he's up between 2.30 and 4.30.

i've fallen out with many people over this including my hv as she says I should not be feeding him when he wakes during the night, and to give him cooled boiled water to break the habit!

This is my second and my first slept thru from 8 weeks.......... then teething hit and I went from getting lovely full nights sleep to being up and down all night. Having now experienced both ways I much prefer contiunuing to get up during the night now.

Teething has now started and I'm not nearly as knackered as I was first time round as my body is used to it.image

Just think we'll not be the ones walking around like zombies when teething really kicks in:lol:

Diana
  • Options
    If your LO won't take a bottle from you, is there someone else who can feed him the bottle? Someone once told me that babies sometimes don't take a bottle from the mother as they can smell the milk from you and want to BF. Don't know if this is true, but if you do have someone that can do it for you, you never know, it may be worth a try (plus if it doesn't work you may get at least one or two good nights sleep before you have to go back to BF) I personally couldn't EBF as my baby was a hungry baby and I was exhausted. I am also on my own so wouldn't have anyone to help while I got some sleep so thought it was best for both me and my LO if I combined BF and FF so I wasn't completely incapable of looking after my LO during the day. I used to always start off BF but then had to follow it with a FF. Greedy little monkey ;0) x
  • Options
    How has yr nights been? Bebe only wakes once now.....as long as she isnt teething!! xxx
  • Options
    Hey, it's not been too bad the last few nights, tho he's teething again now. He slept right through 1 night from about 8 and i had to wake him up at 8.45 cos had a docs appointment. last night he woke up once after putting him to bed, then he was a bit wingy in the night but as he wasnt reallyh crying i didnt go sraight in and he managed to settle himself. hes done this a few times now. we got this bear (time for bed ted i think its called) and when he crys music and lights start up automatically so i think thats been helping. keep saying were going to try and get him into a routine for his naps and bedtime by just putting him to bed awake to then go to sleep himself, but think we need to be more strict with it! i want to continue BF till he's 1. xxx