Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP Colic,wind or something else??

Hi ladies

Does anyone know is baby's can develop colic at as late as 11 weeks? Lily has screamed last night, this mor and again tonight, really hign pitched squeeling and in quite a bit of distress. She did exactly the smae last night, her little tummy is bubling away and she keeps breaking wind quite severely, so much that every time we are such she has filled a nappy full of diaorreah but when we check its empty.

I feel really helpless and dont know if its colic or terrible wind??

image Newlook

Replies

• Options
    are you bfeeding? Could it be something you have eaten - given her a tummy ache? I am bfeeding and I had some sweet and sour (from a jar) and it gave Bebe a tummy ache - once she poo'd she was fine! xx

• Options
    Hi Newlook,

I took Grace to the doctor's earlier in the week due to pain in breaking wind and he told me it was colic - she will be 10 weeks on Monday. However as she had awful colic previously which seems to have passed, I thought he was wrong and it was simply horrible wind. However, he did say it often comes at this age.

Which formula do you use? My HV tells me that hungrier baby often makes babies very windy and/ or constipated.

Grace has improved since I started to give her flavoured baby mineral water at the HV's suggestion. She said that Grace's age didn't matter as there is so little juice in these. Boots make a few flavours (which my LO doesn't seem to like) and HIPP do two - apple and red grape. Grace goes to the loo much more easily when she has had a couple of oz of this.

Is Lily drawing her knees up?

Hope this helps a bit.

Em xx
  • Options
    hey NL - if you are bottle feeding, I think you need to increase her 'drinks' in between bottles. Cooled boiled water will help her go to the toilet and with her wind.

My mum swears by adding a few grains of sugar to the water (if baby wont drink it)....but this is up to you.

xxx
  • Options
    Hi newlook, it's certainly less common but possible, I knew of a baby who got colic at 11 weeks. But don't forget week 12 is the magic number ... around that time their digestive systems begin to sort themselves out, so your baby shouldn't be suffering as long as if they had got it at 3 weeks. The baby I knew suffered for about 2 weeks then it cleared up - hopefully it won't take too long until your baba'a back on top form too.

Helen x