Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Don't know what to do

Hi all

Firstly sorry that I've not posted in such a long time I'm finding things very difficult at the moment.

Caitlin was doing very well with her sleeps - sleeping nearly the whole night through but gradually she has started waking up a lot during the night and waking earlier than usually.

For the last week or so we've been putting her to bed at her usually bed time of 8pm. However she will wake up at some point during the next two hours and then proceed to stay awake for another before she finally gives in and goes to sleep. The rest of the night is then followed by her constantly waking up and me plugging her dummy back in - sometimes she'll fall straight back to sleep but more often then not she lie there awake and because she is so fidgety it keeps me awake. She then wakes up at about 6am with a very tired and drained mummy.

She sleeps quite well during the day, takes 7 to 10oz milk per bottle (4 a day) and has started weaning in the last week.

I just don't know what to do to get out of this hole. I've tried countless things and I'm now coming to the end of my tether cos I really need some sleep. My DH is useless - its not all his fault as Caitlin won't take a bottle from him as she's screams as soon as he tries to - but he doesn't help at all during the nights (although he does get up to our toddler if she wakes up during the night).

I'm sorry its a long rambling post but I'm just wondering if anybody had any suggestions that I could try and hopefully help.

Love and hugs
Clare & Caitlin

Replies

• Options
    Hiya Clare,

***big hugs***
    I'm sorry in that I can't provide a miracle answer for you but what I found with my Alfie is that when i started to wean him a few wks ago his sleep patterns were interrupted slightly at first as his eating patterns changed but then once a fully fledged weaner (hhmmm, sounds odd that phrase, he he) he then started sleeping 12hours!

I'm lucky in that he's slept through since he was 6wks old but I pay for it during the day! He only has about 3 short naps (30mins a time) during the day and wants feeding every 2hrs so during the day so it's pretty full on. It's like he stocks up during the day ready for his big sleep at night.

My mum always said that her HV used to say that once a baby starts to get their 'fill of food' during the day then they will sleep better. It seems to ring true in Alfie's case in that he now sleeps almost 12hours (it used to be 8hours pre-weaning). Maybe once Caitlin starts taking more solids then things will settle down?

Just a quick question - is there a pettern to the times that Caitlin wakes? Alfie did go through a short phase of briefly waking at 3am but it turned out it was our central heating kicking in and he was waking as he got too warm. We've now altered the timer (as the weather is getting warmer) and he sleeps fine again. I'm just trying to think of every possibility to help you.

I hope things get better for you.

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on January 26, 2010 10:43 AM]

• Options
    I'm truly hoping that once she's weaned fully that things change as I can't take another one of my children being a lousy sleep (my daughter still wakes up several times a night and she's 3 in two weeks!!)

I couldn't tell you if there is a pattern to her waking up during the night as I can't see the clock without putting on my glasses and to be honest I don't have the energy to do that half a dozen times or more during the night.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    hiya clare

i'm having a nightmare with isla waking last 2 weeks and i really don.t know why so you have my sympathy.

i think she is about ready to wean which i hope will help!

Anna x
  • Options
    just want to say i feel for you, my lo wakes every 2 hrs - has done since birth. as i am bfeeding dh cant help out. but in a funny way my body has got used to it xxxx
  • Options
    g/c from born april.

A couple of ideas

1) it could be teething as that disrupts their sleep
    2) It could be because you have started weaning! You say you have been weaning around the last week and also that is when the sleep got worse. People think food helps them sleep better - it doesn't until they are used to it! At first it can completely disrupt it!

Probably not much help - but just wanted to give a couple of ideas as to the possible causes xx