Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Giving up BF & the sippy cup

Hiya

Just wondered if anyone could help me with regards to weaning and breast feeding. Im at the stage where ive BF izzy for 5 months and i want to stop for various reasons. The problem i have is that she seems to hate formula. When she was first born we combine fed with formula but we then found out she had reflux at 6 weeks and then refused the bottle altogether. The HV said she probably linked the pain of the reflux with the bottle. She has grown out of the reflux now and doesnt take medication for it. Do you think she still remembers the reflux problems and thats why she wont take formula?

We have started her on a sippy cup but she wont put it anywhere near her mouth. We have bought a free flow one so it comes out easily and we have one where she has to work harder. I have tried cooled boiled water and i had a look in tesco yesterday at the apple juice and it goes from 4-36months so i gave her a little bit of that yesterday but obviously its a new taste so she pulled her face like her first spoonful of solids.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• Options
    Hi. No suggestions unfortunately but I am interested in seeing the responses. Jason is formula fed but will not take a bottle either. He started out ok but had terrible colic and his bottle feeding is getting worse and worse. I can only sneak a bottle into him when he is drifting off to sleep. He rarely takes one when he is awake. I have tried a sippy cup, a bottle with handles, water, juice, baby flavoured water but no joy. I have to use half puree, have baby rice and mix his milk in with his spoon feeds to try and get him some more milk. Its all a bit of a nightmare. I hope you get some good advice.
  • Options
    Hi Hun!

I can't comment on the breast feeding!

I introduced the sippy cup when I started weaning at 17 weeks and Eve wouldn't even touch it! I kept bringing it out at every meal so she got used to it being there an I just let her play with it! In the last couple of weeks she has started taking small sips from it, I just make sure that I compliment when she does do it! I think eventually she will drink from it completely! But I wanted to stay relaxed about it and not stress about it, so dat it seems to be working!

Good luck!

Becky

Xxx