Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

nap frequency

Just wondering how long your LO stays awake for between naps? Finley goes 1.5 - 2hours. I didn't think this was very long... but, saying that, it works for us and he will sleep for a nice hour or so, sometimes only 45mins, sometimes upto 3hours! I catch him at his first signs of tiredness and he's no bother to get off to sleep.... whats it like for your LO?

xx

Replies

• Options
    Sophie tends to nap as and when which stresses me out slightly because Ben was such a rourined baby and with Sophie she's just so laid back and go with the flow that I don't know wether I'm coming or going half the time. lol

On an average day (whatever one of them is!) she'll wake at 7am and be ready for a nap at say 10am. I'll put her in her cot and she'll usually have a natter or play and just drift off. Occasionally I'll catch it wrong and there's no chance!

As for the rest of the day if we're out she'll nap in the pushchair or car seat or if Dad is home she'll sit with him and just drift off whilst he watches tele.

If you'd posted this 3 or 4 years ago when Ben was a baby I could've told you to the minute what time he slept and how long for but Sophie is so different.

If she does nap in her cot the average is about 40 mins but very rarely about 90 mins.

Vic xx
  • Options
    Jason is down to 2 naps a day. He's up at 6.30 for tbe day and then naps from around 9 - 11. Then he has an afternoon nap from 2 - 4ish. Then goes to bed at 7.30
  • Options
    I like this thread because i was wondering the same thing.

Izzy will wake up anytime time from 6-7am. If she wakes up at 6am she will have a little nap downstairs for say half an hour. She wont have this nap if she wakes up later. Then she will get tired between 10-11am. She will usually sleep for 1 1/2hrs - 2 1/2 hrs (so she is sometimes late for lunch.) If she is teething and irritable she will only have half an hours sleep.

She will then sleep 5ish for about an hour and will go to bed around 8ish.

Even though 8ish seems late if she goes to bed any earlier you can guarantee she will be up at 4/5am.

Izzy has NEVER gone to sleep in her cot during the day. When she was newborn i use to sit on the sofa with her and enjoy the cuddles but decided that she was comfort feeding too much so i decided to talk her for a walk in her pram to get her to sleep.I take her for a walk twice a day (its been great for me loosing weight) just so i can get some freedom and so i'm not tied to the sofa.
  • Options
    I've become a bit obsessive about how much Erin sleeps during the day. She will go down in her cot fairly easily now, I used to have to walk about with her for 40mins to get 10mins sleep.

Today she slept for an hour in the morning, then for about 40 mins during a walk in the afternoon (she woke up for a while in between) and then slept for another half an hour at about 5.30pm. She went to bed at 8pm and went down without too much fuss.

My problem is that I just don't know how much sleep she is meant to have so I worry that she isn't getting enough. I take her for a walk everyday and I have to make them longer and longer as it takes her longer to drop off, she's too nosey! It is good exercise though as June09_Bride says...
  • Options
    Jason has now stopped sleeping in his pram altogether which is really frustrating because if we are out and about during the day he gets really over tired before bed. You thing you have it sussed and then these babies decide to change again! They like to keep us on our toes!
  • Options
    Gosh they're all so different aren't they?!!

My DS has 2 or 3 naps a day, always one in the morning after the school run for 30-60mins, and one after lunch for 60-90mins then depending on what time he woke from his lunch nap and how long he had he will sometimes have a cat nap in the afternoon but never later than 4.30 or he's not so tired for bed at 7! He's getting less inclined for this nap tho and so quite often misses it out.

He settles really well for all naps in his cot and wakes up a happy soul. If we're out and about he naps in the car or buggy (or at a friend's house if we're there as long as i take his sleeping bag and teddy!) but never for long so i do tend to find myself trying to do things around his nap times!!

• Options
    Millie has usually 3/4 naps a day. She wakes up at 6am, is up for about an hour before wanting to go back to sleep (Thumb in the mouth, twisting her hair image

She then has a sleep at lunchtime for another hour, then she has another one mid afternoon (1 hour again). I try then to keep her awake until bed time, but she often has another short nap at 5.30/6pm, then is up for daddy to come back from work, little play, dinner, bath and bed by 7.30/8pm.

I think they are all different and it is fine to let them have their own little routine... image
  • Options
    Wow yes, they're all very different! Minnie I think Finley is very similar to your LO! Especially regarding that last night, trying to keep them up until bedtime but them not lasting. Very familiar!

XX
  • Options
    Yep Minnie Sophia is very much like that!!! She has had some random days where she has had one nap or days where she has lots of little cat naps but generally it's 3 or 4! xx