Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

G/C Just wondering what you all think....

Hey ladies im GC from DIA 2011 =D

I was wonderin if any of you ladies fancied giving us a crash course on being an august mummy things like...

Coping with the heat in pregnancy?

Comfy sleeping positions?

Birth stories?

Best and worst things about being an august mummy?

Any tips/Advice

We have a few first time mums over in DIA but some mums who are onto 3rd babies but thought it might be a nice idea as you were in our position this time last year image

It's fine if you ladies are too busy after all you have babies to contend with image

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Coping with the summer heat.... FAB being an August mummy!! Best coping tip - take as long as you can maternity/annual leave wise to relax and chill. I spent my maternity leave either naked flopped on our bed with a big fan on me or in the garden with my puffy feet in a cold paddling pool eating lovely lollies, a million times better than struggling and suffering getting to work and sitting inside all day!!!

Oh and there are no comfy sleeping positions, August or any month I would imagine! Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Awww wish I could do it all again in August!!! Loved it!!!

Re coping with the heat! It's great, you can live in flip flops because they are the only things that will fit on your feet! Lollie ices can be bought everywhere and are always on offer! Take a little fan out with you but honestly the heat never really bothered me!!

Re sleeping positions: I bought a pregnancy pillow! OMG such a godsend!!! Slept on my side with it under my bump and between my legs and honestly would not have coped without it! Used it from 20 weeks!!!

Long story short of my BS: Went for my 40 week check up and babas heartrate was tachi cardic so had to be monitored, was given a sweep at the hospital (as they thought they were inducing me) then sent home! Waters went the next morning but just trickled out for the whole day, went back up to the hospital and bubs was tachi cardic again so was kept in! Contractions started at 2pm, contractions hurt from 7pm, contractions really hurt from 2am. Couldnt have water birth as bubs was still tachi. Laboured nearly all the way on G&A and had diamorphine at 9cm. Was given a drip to speed labour up around 9am and Sophia was born 2.42pm so 24 hours from first contractions that I could feel!!! Pushing part was easy as pie, ring of fire didn't hurt and I would happily do it all again in a heart beat!!! Do not listen to peoples horror stories! Every labour is different and your body will guide you through! It's awesome really! I'm actually looking forward to doing it again!!!

Best things about being an august mummy: You don't have to worry so much about the temperature in the room dropping at night. They dont have to be completely wrapped up. Lovely summer fashion. You can wear lovely loose fitting clothes! Nice to go for walks with the pram. You get Xmas off on Mat leave!!!

Worst things- honestly I can't think of any!! I loved it!!

Advice: Be flexible, expect the unexpected. Use your own judgement. Don't spend a fortune on everything matching, the baby really doesn't know! Best advice someone could have told me: when the baby poops...wait! Because they are sure to have two or three more shots! We used to change Sophia as soon as we heard she had pooped, open her nappy and she would poop again and again, all over us! Give it 5 mins!

I will pop back if I think of anything else! xxx
  • Options
    I would say for when its hot drink drink drink. You can get dehydrated easily because your body is using so much fluid all the time.

Take an easy pace when you are walking. I fire round to the doctors now in less than 10 minutes but would give myself 30 mins when the waddling started!

Don't spend loads on maternity clothes but make sure the ones you do buy are nice floaty cotton ones.

Be careful if sitting in the sun because you burn really easily when you are pregnant for some reason. I went for a walk on the beach and come in after 15 minutes because I was cold and realised I was lobster red and you can't take nurifen which is the best thing for sunburn, when preggers.

Don't worry too much about pram suits and coats etc. Jason was born on 2nd august and the most he wore was a cardi over a t shirt till the middle of september. You can just tuck a blanket round them if there is a bit of a chill.

Please please please take to time rest and sleep for a couple of weeks before bubs arrives. If you go into the first couple of weeks tired it makes it harder.

I had gestational diabetes so was induced at 38 weeks. I had a difficultish pregnancy and was up and down to the hospital 3 times a week from 32 weeks pregnant. They had been telling me that they were going to induce me from 35 weeks and then changing thier mind at the last minute so I was glad when the day finally came! They broke my waters at 12.30, started the induction drip at 1.30, I started having strong contractions at 2 and Jason was born at 5.30! I delivered all 9lbs 11 oz of him in 3 1/2 hours with just gas and air. It was painful but manageable.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy. It is such a special time.
  • Options
    Oh this is lovely...

I wasn't too hot in the summer, I went on maternity at 36 weeks and it was great not having to wear shoes for work image I very much enjoyed the last few weeks on my own, getting the house ready, enjoying the weather, catching up with people, watching endless baby programmes on Discovery and taking it easy generally... I'd recommend it! The heat was never an issue for me, I slept with a tiny cushion under my bump, I found that the most comfortable.

I'd say it's great to be an August mummy, you still have loads of nice weather to look forward to afterwards, taking your new baby to parks and to town... Loads of people stopping you every 2 minutes to congratulate you and tell you how beautiful your baby is... In the winter, babies are more wrapped up and people don't notice as much image

Good thing about being an August mummy also is not having to worry about the weather making it difficult to go to the hospital!!

I can only second the advice above about poopy nappies. 3 in a row is my personal best :lol:

My birth story: Well, there is a very long version somewhere, but to make it short, I had contractions quite strong and regular for 2 nights in a row, but becoming irregular during the day. I went to the mw for a sweep on the third day at 8 days overdue and was told that I was 5cm and I needed to go straight to the hospital! They had to break my waters to speed things up, but nothing happened (1 contraction every 15 min!) so they induced me with the drip. The contractions were strong and fast, hardly any rest in between. I had an epidural which failed(and by the way, if all the pain and pressure is in your back, epidurals don't help with that!) and 17 hours later I was only at 6cm, so they sent me for an emcs. I cried as I really didn't want one (I think anyone would be gutted after a long labour), but in all fairness it was a positive experience, I recovered quickly and was out 36 hours later! No matter what happens in labour, just go with the flow, it is the best way to make it a positive experience. Just like Littlelyns, I would do it all over again in the blink of an eye and I am very much looking forward to it! I cry and tell hubby how wonderful it is every time I watch One Born Every Minute!

Enjoy the first few weeks, you will be chattered and wishing your baby slept through the night and didn't feed every 20 minutes but when you look back, you will be glad you have had all this time, just you and baby on the sofa cuddling and feeding. It is so special when they are that small, make sure you relish every minute! And take loads of photos!

Best of luck, feel free to come and post your birth story here image
  • Options
    I was carrying huge with Raeya, around the last month i was finding it more and more uncomfortable during the night sleeping on my side. so I used the V pillow that i'd bought for feeding from mothercare and positioned it so that my bump was supported and had its own pillow image

much better

flip flops are a definate, my feet swelled so i couldnt get them into my ballet pumps lol

if you get time, make meals and freeze them so in the early days you and OH dont have to worry about cooking. or if you just freeze leftovers that will go a long way too.

another way I cooled down, I would have a couple of showers in the day or water your garden barefoot, nice on hot swollen feet.

i think having a baby in august is easier on us because we can wear maxi dresses and flip flops

the way we kept our room cool for us (incl baby) i'd keep our blind closed all day and keep the door closed. by the time you're ready to go to bed the outside air is abit cooler so you can open the window for abit and let fresh air circulate, it kept our room at a nice temperature
  • Options
    Thanks ladies this is all great advice i will direct the other DIA ladies over for a butchers never knew about poopy nappies haha! The heat is the main one i worried about as im crap at regulating my body temp at the best of times haha! The meal idea is great...im going to be a single mummy due to my OH becoming suddenly violent! I may well invest in some flip flops now as im sure i could get some cheaply just as summers coming in haha! Birth stories all seem positive if a little scary coming out of first trimester i seem to be thinking of the birth a bit more haha!

Thanks for taking the time to reply image x
  • Options
    My one tip for a hottttt august mummy would be ice poles! they were absolutely my best friend!

they helped me stay cool and stop me puking, i must have eaten 20 a day!!
  • Options
    I agree with all the above. Was fab to be able to wear flip flops & light dresses! Dont know how winter mummies cope!! I found that an afternoon nap would help with the heat- I was off work from 22weeks tho due to SPD.

I had a planned c section at 39weeks due to Jack being breech- little monkey. My recovery wasnt so good due to my wound not healing properly for over 10weeks. Luckily DH had managed to save some holidays up & was able to take 5 weeks off.

Despite bad pregnancy & unfortunate reovery I can safely say that my little man was worth every minute!

ENJOY

xxx

PS definitely take lots of photos- its amazing how fast they grow!! My little man is already in some 12-18 month clothes!!
  • Options
    just remembered...

Get packs of nutrigrain bars (if you like them ofcourse) because I found during the day with a newborn you dont get much time to make yourself breakfast or lunch so just having a couple of them would keep me going for awhile. Dont forget to drink too, perhaps buy some bottles of water/juice so you can just grab one of them.

Oh and also if you can, get a babasling or something similar. it was a godsend for me because Raeya wanted to be constantly held for the first 2/3 weeks and so she was in it on me whilst I was able to get simple things done, ie bottles and washing. They can be abit pricey so if anyone asks you what you need, mention it.

Also if you do end up having a c-section (I had one cause Raeya was breech :roll: ) you can take Arnica tablets to help healing, but ONLY TAKE AFTER HAVING BABY, cause it thins the blood. I am sure it helped me. I was fortunate with my recovery but dont over do it ok.

Please come back and let us know how you're getting on and how it all goes for you.

• Options
    Hi!

I thought it was fab being an august mummy!

I never felt too hot except at night so invested in a fan for my bedroom! I lived in flip flops and big maxi dresses which are so cool but show off your bump, they can be dressed up or down and always look lovely!

I ate sooooo many mollies and had ice in all my drinks, such a good way of getting extra fluids!

I had a long maternity pillow which I used from 20 weeks and was amazing, couldn't have done without it!

I finished work at 36 weeks and it was lovely to treat myself to a new but practical hair do, manicure, pedicure and catching up with friends before bun arrived, I also went on a bit of a cleaning frenzy as I wanted baby to come home to a perfect home!

A tip from me is to pack your hospital bag early sonyou don't have to rush around in the heat trying to get it done! Once it's done you can put it somewhere within easy reach and forget about it!

Being a august mummy means you can get out or lovely walks with baby, sit in the garden and no need to worry too much about baby getting cold!

Also don't worry too much about newborn outfits, once baby was born I just wanted her to be comfortable and she lived in lovely little sleepsuits for first 6 weeks!

My birth was AMAZING!

Waters went at 3pm without much warning, went to hospital to be monitored but all was fine and was having no contractings so was sent home with instructions to go back if contractions started or go in next day at 3pm to be induced of nothing happened!

Had 1st contraction at 7.01pm, got back to hospital and was 4/5 cm dilated, baby was born at 10.27pm, with only gas am air and half a shot of Pethidine!

No stitches just a small graze! Oh tip for this is to take a jug with you to pour water over you when you have a wee after birth, I found this more painfully then the birth itself!

Hope this helps!

Becky

Xxx
  • Options
    Hi loved being an august mummy . I suffered very badly with swelling due to heat but some good foot cream and feet up straight nnot elevated helps . Loads of ice lolllies and I bought a cheap paddling pool. Also plan ahead get nursery etc done early so you can just sit in the garden and enjoy the sun . I made an effort and planted flowers etc in the early summer so I would enjoy sitting out there . Dont bother with mat clothes just buy bigger sizes in floaty tops save cash . Flip flops are s must .

As one of the ladies said don't bother with peak suits hats etc just a nice blanket for when the heat drops. You don't have to worry about them getting cold. If like me your supper paranoid about overheating Asda do some baby grows that have a temp gauge in the back which warns when they are too hot .
  • Options
    Also before your due date stock up on toiletries like shampoo , poo roll , toothpaste and household things like bin liners etc all those things you don't want to be worrying about . I made sure I had that and loads of frozen food in so didn't have to worry about shopping at supermarkets in the heat straight after giving birth . I also found on line shopping a godsend in the early weeks when little one finally went to sleep would do my shopping .

For the labour loads of drinks and cold flannel it gets so hot . My labour was long and tiring so try keep positive and go with the flow it doesn't last forever even if you think so at the tome . Oh and if your waters break with a trickle don't think that's it none did that and then when I got to the hospital they popped and I flooded the lift . Sweat pants are not a good idea lol ! My waters broke before contractions so I had to go in and be checked over then was sent home . Make sure you have some face movies to hand in case this happens you will need to keep your mind off the waiting . My contractions did start quite quick though and was back in hospital 6 hours later . Jacob was born 16 hours after that so it doesn't last forever

Good luck ladies very jealous wish I could do it all over again x
  • Options
    It was supposed to say loo roll not poo roll blooming predictive text x
  • Options
    Hi!!!!

I would invest in a paddeling pool, it was great to sit in the garden in a shaded area with my feet in the cold water sucking on a ice lollie.

Get sone comfy flipflops and make sure you otherhalf is prepared to rub your feet, my hubby used to rub my feet whilst a fan was pointing at them, really helped with the swelling.

My birth story:

I woke at 2:20 with contractions went downstairs to make a cup of tea, had a sip and then thought I cant drink this so went back to the bedroom to get hubbys phone (we had a contractions ap) so that I could time my contractions. "Gary I am having contractions can I have your phone to time them" he says yeah and the cover goes over his head so he can get some more sleep, (he is very supportive, honest) so by the time I manage to get downstairs I have two contractions and decide we have to get to the hospital. For some reason I decided that I should have a shower. i wake gary and tell him i am going to have a shower, I also scrub my teeth. we call the hospital and set off about 2:50. Once at the hospital I am edxamined at around 3.45 when I am told I am 4cm. I get sent to my labour room where i started on the gas and air (lovely). We have a midwife with us at all times monitoring charlie as his heartbeat kept dropping. by 6 I felt as if I needed a poo and maybe some more pain relife. The midwife examined me and turns out I was ready to push, did so for an hour but couldnt get his head out so in the end charlie was delivered by vontouse arriving into the world at exactly 7am weighing 8lb 3oz, 54cm long and head messuring 35cm. My labour was only about 4 hours long and I would do it again tomorrow!

• Options
    A couple more things....

pack a straw in your hospital bag, i dont think i would have had a drink unless hubby could hold the glass and put the straw in my mouth.

I also used moist toilet tissue for the week or so after the birth, i had quite a few stiches internal and external and found this kinder to the skin.