Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast abcess, anyone else had one??

Hi, been really struggling with the breast feeding and now have an excrutiating abcess. The doctor has said we will give some strong antibiotics a go and if they don't work within 2 days I will have to have it lanced (ouch)! Just wondered if anyone else has had one and if they did any tips on coping with it. I was so looking forward to having a nice breastfeeding time with my baby, looks like this is not possible. xx

Replies

• Options
    Could u not use a nipple shield to feed? Or is it somewhere it's impossible to cover? x
  • Options
    I just has my abscess incised and drained, unfortunately the location meant I wasnt able to carry on Breasfeeding! I dont know why they have put you on more antibiotics, I was told an abscess is resistant to them, anyhoos the docs know best... to be honest once the procedure has been done you will feel ten times better! They have two ways of doing it- a needle aspiration or opening the wound. I think opening it up is more effective but then it will need to be packed for several weeks. Do you have Homestart in your area, they could put you in contact with a breastfeeding counsellor, I was in contact with a lovely girl who came round to show me all different positions to put the baby in which would have been great, in my case it was too difficult.

Good luck! xxxx
  • Options
    i had one with with my first son, it started when he was six weeks and didnt get treated till he was 10 weeks. My breas surgon draided it with a needle and took 500 mls out, my boob then split open the next day which was scary. i still kept breatfeeding till he was six months. I was a bit worried about bf this time but every thing has been fine.
    Good luck you will feel miles better once its drained
    xx
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. I have been in touch with a bf counsellor who gave me a pump to use, but even this was too painful, I have been using the other breast and topping up with formula. I'm trying not to feel like a failure but I'm so disappointed. x
  • Options
    Thats the point I got to hun!!! I got in the bath and took the pump with me but I just made things worse! I cried and cried after that because I thought the BF journey was coming to an end, if you keep BFing on the good one you can work on your supply on your bad one once you are better!!! xxx
  • Options
    Just don't feel guilty if you do have to give up bf hun, you have tried your best. Last thing you need is to be in agony everytime as it wont be the nice experince it is supposed to be!

Hope it gets better soon x