Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Helpful info for FF

Not sure it this will help some of you mums but it certainly has with me - a little tip from my sister
******* This is based on a 6oz feed you will need to change the amounts of hot/cold water depending on the amount fo feed you are making up ******

When making up bottles in the morning put 4oz of boiled water in a sterilised bottle and leave to cool, measure out the required amount of powdered milk and keep in a separate container. When baby is ready for his/her feed boil the kettle and add 2oz of boiling water to the bottle then add the powder, shake and wella bottle is ready and at the right temperature for your baby. I have found that it takes longer to warm a bottle from the fridge than it does to wait for the kettle to boil for the 2oz.

Might be worth giving it a try, it works for us and takes less time. (i tend to put the kettle on before I change his nappy so that there is less holloring time)

Replies

• Options
    This is how we have been making our bottles. Every morning I sterilise his bottles and fill them with the required boiled water. I have a powder dispenser from Tesco and measure it all out ready in the morning. I don't bother toping up with boiling water because Jaosn takes his bottles at room temperature. I always though breast milk was nice and warm but when I was expressing I was surprised and how cool it is and wanted to match the bottle feeds to the breast milk as much as possible. I do it all again in the evening and take it up to bed with me. I just shake the milk into the water and don't have to get up out of bed to make up or heat up a bottle. The hv said this fine as long as the bottles are sterile and water has been boiled and any made up milk is thrown away after 2 hours.
  • Options
    i have tried this today i normally sterilze the bottle and put the water in but add the milk when he wants a feed and warm it up but i found this way to be a lot quicker and he brings his wind up better image
  • Options
    Faithie, quick query, how do you dry your powder dispenser after its been in the sterilizer?
  • Options
    If the heating is on I set in on the radiator upside down to air dry it. If not I dry it with kitchen roll. I'm sure that stops it from being sterile but still pretty clean and it says on the tin that the powder isn't sterile anyway. x
  • Options
    cool thanks, it is so much easier and quicker doing it this way image
  • Options
    I have a friend that uses the powder pots for Tommee Tippee bottles however I am unsure if to follow this method as I thought if the water isnt at 70 degrees not all the bacteria will be killed in the formula powder.....