Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

not baby related sorry - but advice...

as most of you know we live in 2 bed house and have 2nd baby on the way...

we would like to do an extension as cannot afford to move to a 3 bed as would need to borrow another 50,000 out of the question so thinking we could extend if hubby did alot and friends etc would still need to pay for certain amount but anyway my first question is|:

have any of you done an extension??? your experiences please??????

also i was thinking it could be done whilst living here only moving out for idd days whilst plumbing disconected etc... but hubby tells me i'm being silly and we would have to move out for bit as the part not really extening will need all joists changing etc so mesy and nightmare job cutting off all the house...

i touched on it with my mum and she thought i was joking - if it was just her i know she wouldnt say no but she's married and he gets stressed about me phoning most nights let along stay with them with 2 babies so thats a no no apart fro odd nights!

caravan on drive - this just makes me poop myself the thought of it - firstly have expense of hiring etc and then the thought of it - but ANY OF YOU NICE LADIES HAVE A CARAVAN THAT COULD BE LOANED OUT NEXT YEAR FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS??? or do any of you knows costs etc??? ive troed looking on web and it says about being on a soite somewhere not hiring to have at home!

renting another house - this seems a bit OTT - as would be costly, could get away woth renting a 2 bed and it doesnt have to be in lovely area just close by but prob would be between ??450 and ??550 a month

sorry i know this post is random but im sat here thinking about it all and its doing my head in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    i'd have thought your best bet about the extention would be to get a builder in to quote -even if you are planning on doing a lot yourself a builder could still give you an idea of how long you'd need to move out for.

Just wanted to say that with renting - you are likely to have to rent for 6 months unless you get lucky as thats the minimum term for a contract.

If the caravan fails, I've got a spare tent!
  • Options
    You have a 2 bed and how long would lo stay in your room, would it really matter if they shared for a while? I only say this as we're in a 2 bed and although we couldn't afford to extend etc I'm reckoning by the time the children would be old enough to care about sharing, we may find we're in a position to move anyway image
    if you do go down the caravan route I would suggest buying a bottom of range 2nd hand one, my parent just got a 4birth for ??1000 and it's actually really nice. Not sure I could cope living in one for over a month with 2 little ones though!
    If problem with staying at relatives is age of children could you wait til their a little older, or do it before birth?
    Errr don't know really, sorry, but hope you get to do whatever works best for you. Good luck image
  • Options
    Hi hun,

As Kia says I would try and get more of an idea of how long the major work was going to take place to make a decision on how long you would need to be out of the house for.
    We did our bathroom last year which meant turning the water off, it was fairly major work as we knocked a wall through that was separating the toilet from the bathroom to make one big bathroom. The dust was horrendous and then there is the noise of the work. That took 3 weeks to complete, it was summer time which meant I could at least take Brendan outside but it still wasn't great living in the house with all the mess.

If you had more of an idea of how long it would take you could maybe weigh up your options. A second hand caravan may not be a bad idea as you can sell it on afterwards. If you did that maybe you could arrange with your Mum that for one night a week you all stayed with her. That way you would have a break from the caravan and wouldn't get under each others feet.

As WFB says do you need to extend now? We have three bedrooms here but can't use our third bedroom for Jacob as then we wouldn't have a guest room. Living over here means people need a room to sleep in when they visit. So we are planning on having Brendan and Jacob share a room. Eventually (probably in the next two years) we are going to renovate our basement so we can have at least three bedrooms down there plus a bathroom. That won't be such a pain to do as the dust extra from it won't get into the house, although we are planning on updating our electrics and plumbing at the same time which could be fun!

A friend of mine had a fairly major extension on her house and I remember her complaining how horrendous it was with all the building work but I don't remember her moving out while it was taking place. She has two boys but they were about 6 and 8 at the time.

Let us know how you get on, sorry for all the waffle not sure it helped at all!!

L xxx
  • Options
    wow thank you everyone, i think just writing it all down and getting it out of my head and hearing what you all say has already helped....... think my hormones are all over place as i am worrying about everything and anything and not thinking clearly....

I think like you said we need to get builder in at leats they could give us a guide of works etc and timescales approx - also good idea about buying one then selling it on after and my mum wouldnt mind us there in day for bits and using there bathroom etc and satying odd night just think her new hubby would die if we litrally moved in..hehehe

well the 2 bed thing i know CAN work - and the fact the some of you are going to do the same makes me feel better! think it's slightly the unknow...fin was awful sleeper still isnt great and i just cant imagine having a toddler and 3/4 month old in with him as cot wouldnt fit in our room and moses basket will only do for few months!

not even sure can fit cot and bed in 2nd bedroom!!!

xxx
  • Options
    oh well - it'll be boys in the big bedroom then and you and hubby in small bedroom in bunks! lol!
    is there much furniture in 2nd bedroom that could be put somehwere to make room for beds?
    you're bound to worry about everything because you want to plan and know that everything is going to be ok. it will be fine and you can certainly make arrangements as they get older if need be rather than panic about it now. i'm sticking with the theory of 'if i win the lottery....' !!