Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First Night Out!

Hubby and I had our first night out on our own last night!!
Our best friends babysat and we walked in to town for drinks and a curry!!

Felt soooo guilty having a good night out (even got a bit merry!) but it was so nice so go out and not have to think about next feed, sleeping or doing another load of washing! It felt like we were a couple again and not just parents, not that I would want to change any of it!

It's hard for us, as we moved to a new town when I was 4 months pregnant, my parents live a 3 hour drive away, in laws are rubbish, so we don't have many babysitting options, so we took full advantage last night!

My Mum and Dad are coming to stay next weekend and having Amy overnight, as we are staying at friends for my birthday - imagine a lie in!!! I can't wait!!

Replies

• Options
    Well done you! Must have been pure bliss!
    Like you say, wouldnt change them for the world but it is nice to be a person for a while instead of mummy!
    Me and hubby went out last fri because my friend ordered alfie round hers- not gonna argue with that one! Listened to a band in a pub i used to work in and also got a bit merry- happy days!
    Def gonna take advantage of any offers now because once theyre older noone wants to take them-dont know why?!?!
  • Options
    Hey, sounds like you both enjoyed being 'human' again lol! It is good to get out every now and again...not sure how we'll have a full night off with 3 of them!? My mum n dad and the in laws have been on hols for last 2/3 weeks but mil got back thurs and she offered to stay at ours when she got back so we could stay out somewhere! Do you think tonight's a bit short notice?!!
  • Options
    Snap alioli... not sure when we are going to be able to get out either - you'd think with a 16 year old in the house we would have a live-in babysitter but no! As for tonight ... well you could always ask!!

An evening out without a baby attached to me sounds brill!

• Options
    Well at least you guys got a better nightout than me! Ended up round at my mates cause her and her bf have just split up! Late night and early morning = tired me! Early night for me tonight!! Cole was very good really this morning..slept till 7.15 but I could have done with an extra hour.

• Options
    I'm escaping on saturday to Ladies Day at the rugby club, oh is not playing so he can have the kids and i am sooooo looking forward to it, although it means i have to go shopping as not back in pre-pregnancy clothes yet (still!) and they all make an effort to dress smart so off i went shopping today, into all the clothes shops in town and couldn't find a single thing i liked, not even in Next (which is unheard of!!) why is it when you have no money you see lots and when you have money to spend (ok not including the ??100 dress i bught on sun which i couldn't really afford but hey it's for a good cause!!) you can't find anything!!
  • Options
    We must have totally different tastes obi! I just bought 2 tops in next with the last of my birthday money!! Stripy ones... hopefully be flattering cause I've definately not lost any baby weight!
  • Options
    My hubby and I went out for valentines and it was soooooo nice. Feed the little one and then practically threw him across the room to my mil dirty nappy and all and ran out the door. We live on the HIgh Street of a village so went to the Indian across the road. Of course you end up talking about your gorgeous lo but it's just so nice to be out not having to constantly check lo is okay.

Didn't have the baby blues at all, but felt a very teary at the end of last week and the weekend. (That's putting it mildly, sobbing uncontrollably most of the time). Text my mum yesterday to ask if she can come round so we can go out again this week, she's got a busy week at work but is coming on Wednesday after a parent's evening (she saw me on Sunday post a big cry and I think my attempts at covering up the blotchy face didn't work).

As for clothes, have decided that now lo is coming up to 2 months I can no longer keep wearing maternity clothes and still can't get into old clothes. So went out on Saturday to buy jeans. Had to get size 14 (normally a 10) and omg how I hated being in a changing room. Didn't look in the mirror until I was fully dressed! Felt fine to be wobbily and not all shrunk back for the first 6 weeks (esp as you're use to looking at yourself pregnant and compared to that you think you're not looking too bad at all) but now I feel really frustrated, have started the diet yesterday and am soooo not looking forward to getting into a swimming cosey at centerparcs next week!

El x
  • Options
    Sounds like you have been having some great nights out! Obi I hope you have a great time on Sat and let your hair down a bit. I have left Holly with my mum for a few hours but mostly so I could catch up on sleep so oh and I still havent been out as a couple yet but Friday is the night! It'll be oh's birthday and we decided we would go out for a meal to celebrate and let my mum baby sit image
  • Options
    El - I'm exactly the same as you, I must have been slightly insane to think I'd get into pre pg jeans just 8 weeks after the birth, so had to ditch the maternity clothes, bite the bullet and buy a bigger size (had to get 16, used to be 12). Lost a total of 2 1/2 stone since I had Amy but I've been dieting for last couple of weeks and lost 4 pounds, only another 1 1/2 stone to go!!
    It was so nice to wear normal clothes though and made me feel normal, combined with our night out!

Obi1 - enjoy ladies day!
  • Options
    rachel, don't know how old you are but i think the older you are the harder it is. when i had my daughter ten years ago i was back into my clothes six weeks later - think it will be six months later now!
  • Options
    El - I'll be 32 tomorrow!

I think it is an age thing, I've got friends who had their babies in their early twenties and pinged straight back in to shape, I'm just going to have to work a bit harder, but feeling positive that I can do it, although I hope I keep my boobs - went from 34A to 36D and I'm not even breastfeeding!!!
  • Options
    Kia - did see some lovely clothes in there but i'm one of those really boring people who only seems to wear black or blue, stripes would be way too adventerous for me!! Being a redhead with milk bottle skin most colours look awful on me too, think i need a Trinny & Suzanna makeover!!

I'm squeezing into a 16 at the moment, was a 14 before concieveing Philip and a 12 before 1st miscarraige in July 06, got about 2 stone to shift, really need to stop the choc & crisp regime and start on proper meals!!

Almost same age as you Rachel - 32 in July, friends in 20's also pinged straight back, how gutting is that!! Happy Birthday for tomorrow, make sure you get spoilt!!

I intend to enjoy myself & let my hair down!! If it's anything liek the mens port & stilton at christmas i won't be in a fit state for most of sunday!!

• Options
    Lot of us same age.. I was 32 the other week! Like you Obi - i was a 12 before miscarriage, and just hitting 14 when I got pregnant. Now I'm around 14/16 and need to lose a good couple of stone! Chocolate is not good for my arse and belly but i can't help snacking! No willpower!!! I did go out for a nice walk along hte canal today though!

Nothing wrong with wearing black though.. I do...although I don't often do all black any more... did tonight though just to annoy my mother! She doesn't approve of all black, scruffy clothes and combats! I'm quite into stripes lately.. dunno why..and these tops are nice soft cotton too. Obi - does green suit you? I've always thought green with red hair looks good.

Maybe we ought to start a weight loss or get in shape thread where we can all kick eachothers arses into getting in shape! I need to try and start building u p on being good... and if I'm accountable I might do better!
  • Options
    I'm another 30 year old (well nearly 31) and when i had Charlie is was back to normal size 12 jeans after a week! I was 25 tho and it's def been longer this time! Had to buy size 14jeans a few week back and although i'm at pre-pg weight (or coupla pound over!) i'm so not pre-pg shape! Can't bring myself to even try on a cossie but will need to if i'm gonna take lo swimming!
    Happy Birthday Rachel! Hope you get lots of lovely pressies!
    Obi - enjoy the ??100 dress, you deserve having a splurge and a very good night!
    Amy - enjoy your 1st night out on Friday!
    Kia's kickass thread sounds like what we need!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Rachel - hope its a good un!

Don't know about a kick up the arse, think I need a very large rocket!! When I had Tristan at 21 I went straight back into a size 10-12 now I struggle to get into a size 16 - you can tell I'm getting old (37) cos I bought a pair of size 18 jeans because they were more comfortable - I wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything like that before!! (I would have lost the weight and been in uncomfortable clothes for a while to motivate me) Hubby said he'd like me to lose weight, and I know I wont be really happy until I'm about 4 stone (ouch) lighter... but really need to get motivated!! While I'm bf-ing I seem to be constantly hungry - poor excuse though! ..... Sooooo whos going to take the first step and start the thread then???!!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Rachel hope you have a lovely day and get spoilt rotten!!

Em I am just the same as always hungry but I try sooo hard not to eat, I try drinking a pint of water first but unfortunatly it normally ends up in disaster. What sort of healthy snacks do you have? I like thos ryvita mini's and snack a jack things. I was quite lucky and didn't put on too much weight when I was pregnant but I feel like Im on a permanant diet lol
  • Options
    Didnt realise we were all in our early 30s. Im going to be 32 in august. I must be the lucky one as i was back in my jeans about 4 weeks ago. Still got a fat bum and hips tho. Been doing Davinas new dvd for the past 2 weeks to get rid of it! Feel loads better for doing some excersise again xx
  • Options
    Thanks for all your messages!
    Been a quiet birthday so far as everyone is at work but hubby is cooking tonight and I've got a nice pile of pressies and cards to open when he gets home - so roll on 4.30!!!

Good news though, tried on a pair of size 14 jeans this morning and got them done up (with a nice muffin roll over the top!!!)

I definitely need motivating to shift the rest of this weight, I am trying to eat healthily but some days I can't help picking!
  • Options
    Wish I was in my early 30s!! Heading towards 40 far too quickly!! Well done all of you who are back in your jeans... I'll get there eventually.. I hope! lol x
  • Options
    Rach, hope you had some lovely things in that big pile of pressies! I'm 30 in 10 months and as I said back to normal size in a matter of a few weeks when I had my daughter 10 years ago. Oh how I wish that it had happened this time. But as you get older you just can't eat what you want and expect to stay trim.

Kia, what a fab idea it will be like when the babies were born! Name, age and weight! We could have a STAR of the week awarded to the person who loses the most weight! (Sorry I'm a priamry school teacher need to have some kind of reward system).

El x