Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm going to drive you all mad,,,weaning again!!!

I appolgise in advance... i know it doesn't help lo when we get stressed but i really am now with this weaning lark!!

i've offered toast on own, toast with butter, toast with cheese triangle (he did lick the cheese off and chewed for about 10 secs on that piece of toast but thats it...
ive tried brocoli, carrot, rusks both orginal and strawberry ones, organix carrot stick puff things...

NO LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and now it's as if he's scared of food... i have just put it in front of him on tray and he looks at it and screams...

so then i tried him with the ella organic puree pouch that he loved before which is mixed veg and fruit... and he wouldn't take it just screamed...

Tonight ive just made some homemade pear, carrot and brocoli puree.,.. cause i had stuff in house - the thing is i know it is all prob just going to be thrown away as he won't even have the first mouthful to see if he likes anymore litrally seals his mouth shut,,,

The thing is he's now 6 and half months so its not like i can leave it now and try again in few weeks... he has to start eating!!!He's also unsettled at night as i think before he was having things like rusks and ceraeal at 6pm - which were filling but he wont have them now!!!

i know you guys can't do anything and youve already offered me all the advise you can but i needed to get it off my chest!

Also i love looking at what you lo are eating to try and get me inspired to carry on - but it then makes me more and more concernbed as your lo's are eating soooo well - got i can't imagine just wizing up potoate and veg.... heaven!!!!

xxxx:\?:cry:

Replies

• Options
    oh dear sounds like you're having an awful time with it all, i would also suggest you speak to your health visitor, or dr if youd prefer. but i just wonder if now he's got into the pattern of just refusing food it may just be worth giving him milk for 1 or 2 days and then try again, as long as he has something in his tummy he should be fine it just means youre likely to be feeding him quite regularly, but probably worth it just to start afresh and just go back to basics like rice pudding and baby cereal etc, just go slower and see if it helps. good luck
  • Options
    Hiya hun,
    Sounds like you aer having a really rough time (hugs) Maybe you could try going back to just milk for maybe 1 or 2 days and then try something like the ella packets and give a little bit when he is at his best? Have you tried it at different tempratures? Maybe start off cold then warm it up a little? Maybe at tea timeish put some bits of toast and battons of cheese out for him and pretend to eat them? It took me ages to get Holly on fingerfoods she just used to scream but now she knows what to do with them she is ok. Weetabix made with whole milk also goes down well maybe worth a try?
    If you still arent having much luck in a few days I would talk to your hv but your doing a great job and some babys just take longer than others. Huge hugs xxxx
  • Options
    Hiya hun,
    Sounds like you aer having a really rough time (hugs) Maybe you could try going back to just milk for maybe 1 or 2 days and then try something like the ella packets and give a little bit when he is at his best? Have you tried it at different tempratures? Maybe start off cold then warm it up a little? Maybe at tea timeish put some bits of toast and battons of cheese out for him and pretend to eat them? It took me ages to get Holly on fingerfoods she just used to scream but now she knows what to do with them she is ok. Weetabix made with whole milk also goes down well maybe worth a try?
    If you still arent having much luck in a few days I would talk to your hv but your doing a great job and some babys just take longer than others. Huge hugs xxxx
  • Options
    Thank you - never thought about temperature of food perhaps he may be better with cold food or something!!!

Gave him the goodnight milk last night - but he seemed the same at night had few winges stiring from 9pm through till midnight... i didnt get up to him till 4.45 to settle but i think i thought he's sleep at least until 5.30 or something!!!

tried piece of bananna this morning and then tried putting it on toast... big no no, tried toast with cheese triangle but wasnt having it - so hubby tried feeding cereal had about 2/3 mouthfuls but that was it!!!

think your right - will perhaps just go back to milk and then start again...xxx
  • Options
    You're not the only one having problems, i can completely sympathise, i was going to put a thread up but i hope you don't mind me jumping on this one.

When we first started weaning at 4 1/2 months Philip would eat everything (almost!) that i gave him, we quickly progressed to 2 meals then 3 meals without a problem, most of it was home cooked with the odd jar when i forgot to get any out of the freezer, then we went away for a weekend (from hell!) and as we were camping he basically had jars from Friday evening to monday night and since then he won't touch anything i've cooked, he takes a mouthful then screws his face up and screams and screams and screams! but when i offer a yoghurt or petit filous he wolfs it down. I;ve tried all sorts of different combinations but he just won't have any, and because he won't have a bottle during the day i'm starting to get really worried that he's not eating enough. He's eating breakfast of either a powdered one made with his milk or a hipp-a-bisc (not very popular with him though). I wondered whether my routine had anything to do with it? He has:

6.30am - 6oz bottle
    9.30am - breakfast with 5oz milk
    1.30pm - offer lunch with yoghurt
    5pm - offer tea with a dessert of some sort
    7.00pm - 9oz bottle for bed

He sometimes has a rice cake or half a rusk to munch on as a snack or a peice of banana or cheese.

I'm starting to feel a bit depressed that he just doesn't like my cooking but i'm detemined not to give in and just give him jars all the time, especially when i spent 3hours cooking, blending and freezing food the other day for him.

Any advice gratefully received!
  • Options
    Charoltte - if the temp of the food doesn't help (Bren doesn't like his food very warm by the way) why not go back to just bottles for a day or so but when you and hubby have your meals make sure finn is in his high chair at the table. Have a few things you could give him as finger food if he starts to look interested in what you are having, that way it is him making the move wanting the food. May take the pressure of you a bit and help remove the association of food= screaming fit for him.

OB - with your own food have you tried adding apple puree to make it sweeter? I tried giving Bren things we were having pureed up (like chicken and veg) and he turned his nose up at first, but when I added some apple puree he loved it! I have now found if you add a few spoonfuls from the fruity pot things you can get to whatever you have made it can make a big difference to whether he will eat it all or not. May be worth a try? I figure at this stage if he prefers things a little sweeter that is ok as long as he is getting his veg, and as it is fruit sweetening it its not so bad.

xx
  • Options
    This is a really difficult one as i haven't had this problem with either of my boys! greedy monkeys! The only time i have difficulty is when noah is just too tired and he just isn't interested and gets distraught when i try and put a spoon anywhere near him. It's really hard to say what Fin might be worried about but although he is 6 and a half months perhaps if he is not worried about solids you could give him a break for a few days and just see how he goes? if he's not eating anything anyway it might not do any harm. he might then be hungry and he will look for some food. how does he react when you and your oh eat? does he look like he wants to grab the whole plate? noah leans toward the plate and looks very keen even if he has just been fed.
    Now this is not very hygenic but my hubby will put a bit of food on his finger and let noah taste it. would this work with fin? he might get a taste for it and realise he might like it?
    try and make everything as runny as possible so he can drink it off the spoon. he can get used to flavours without having to worry about learning to swallow, chew, get used to different textures or lumps.
    your hv should definately be the best person to offer advice (although judging by some of our hv's perhaps not) but ask and see what she says.
    btw -noah has pretty much everything at room temp unless its been in fridge and i'll warm it slightly.
    good luck x
  • Options
    Lots of good advice so not much to add really. Have you tried food of different consistencies? Gracie likes things quite thick (mash not runny, even her cereal) and although she likes the taste of the fruit pots, they are too runny. I gave her a 7mth jar of veg lasagne this w/end and Friday she wolfed it, but yesterday i needed to mash it more cos it is quite lumpy. All the veg in my freezer is quite smooth (made up huge batches!) so i add peas or pasta shapes to it so it's not just mush.
    Could be the finger foods are too solid and the mush is too runny???
    Hope something works soon, but try to remember to not stress out in front of him. Just lots of praise when he eats. x
  • Options
    Thank yiu for your advise - i quickly read earlier but didnt have time to write...

after the morning not going well i just left lunch and hae had his bottle at 12.30 - then i went out for afternoon, popped in to mums on way home and she sat him on dinning room chair and just gave him some melon to suck, kiki and pinapple... sucked it all.............. i was sooo happy seeing him do it without getting upset! so got home and he had his bottle at 5 then at 6 i sat at table, took his tray off highchair and pulled him up to tabel aswell, i then sat and ate my pasta with tomatoe sauce stuff, he was watching but always has think he's more nosey than drooling over the food, anyway as he was happy and calm i just put bit of source on fingure and he sucked it - did this about 5 times... i though ooo break through got his spoon to put the tiniest bit on and he screamed!!!!!!!!!!! that was the end cause then he continued to scream!

i left it a bit then got out an ella organic and tried that - nope and so thought id give him whast he likes the fruit pot but was in such a state by this point wasn't having it!!!

Tried different consistencies... at one point when he ate his rusks and cereal he actually ate it thickish.. but since not wanting those just retches at anything remotly thick - he like the muller star consistency... perhapd i'll add veg to that (rank)

anyway tomorrow is a new day so... going to take peoples advice and just not feed apart from putting a few bits in front of him and if he sucks fab if not leave him!

x
  • Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Charlotte.. I was gonna suggest just cutting out the food for a day or two and going back to milk and then starting over - just let him try bits and bats with no pressure on him. I've been giving Cole 1/2 a fruity pot for lunch mixed with a bit of apple puree to get him used to the consistency. We had a week or so of Cole being difficult with eating but it just seemed to pass - I think I made his cereal runnier for a while, and fed him fruit purees which he likes. HAven't braved feeding him a jar again yet though!

Sorry..that was rambling! I really wouldn't try and push it if he's not keen...but the only reason I say that is that I don't want to push Cole with food..I'm a fussy eater and my mum used to make such a big deal and tried to force me to eat stuff I didn't want which I think made me worse so I swore I'd never do the same to Cole.

OB - could you mix some jar with some of your cooking? And then gradually reduce the amount of jars with increasing your food? Cole did the opposite and went funny with jars so I've just started giving him tea with a bit of jar food & 2 cubes of veg so he gets the taste of it all. Jars ar eok in the fridge for 48 hours so I figure that does 3 small bits of meals. We are on day 2 of that and he's eaten all his tea both nights
  • Options
    Heading off to Boots in a minute to stock up on apple puree, last time i did apple a huge amount of apples made very little puree so i'm going to cheat and use up some advantage points!!

Managed to get half a cube of lentil and veg into him yesterday without too much hassle. I know he's hungry cos as julesy said with noah he reaches for my plate and tries to grab food even if he has just been fed, have tried sitting him in front of me when i'm eating and feeding him at the same time but it's almost as if he knows what he's got isn't the same as mine!

Kia - i'll try the jar mixing tonight and see if that makes a difference to him.

Thank you all
  • Options
    Do you know what the prob is pootle OB you spend all that time cooking etc... then they dont eat it and i think it makes it worse... also the jars are sooo much smoother than i can ever get!!! i tried mixed a bit of my pear (as he did used to eat that) with either some homemade veg or a jar but as soon as i gave him that spoonful he's scream - then id give im pear on own and he'd eat!!! but now he wont even do that!!!

good luck pootle xx
  • Options
    Hi Star, Paige is now 6 1/2 mths old and we're now re-starting solids, although the World Health Organisation still says minimum 6 mths breastfed, so don't worry too much if yours is not eating steak, lol.

We started Paige at about 5 mths and the solids seemed to make her reflux worse so we decided - with the advice of our clinic nurse that her little tummy wasn't ready for new foods.

We've just started again aver the last week to slowly reintroduce solids, but we're not rushing things, ( if you could see Paige even now she looks like the fattest solid deprived baby you've ever seen, lol)

Please remember that your baby's IQ will not be measured by the month that she finally ingested strained carrot, lol.

Shell
  • Options
    Have you thought of trying him with soup? I give it to my lo in a bottle with a teat for thicker fluids and he loves it. Sometimes I make soup for other times I water down veg puree with some milk to make it soup consistency. Your lo might not realise it is food this way.

Good luck. x
  • Options
    soup never thought of that... xx
  • Options
    Whilst reading this I was hinking about just putting things in front of Finlay and not actually putting them in his mouth let him make the first move. From the sound of what you ahve said he seems to know that a spoon means food he doesn't like??

Keep trying him with the fruit like your mum gave him and give him a spoon to hold and play with, with nothing on. if he starts to assiociate feeding with crying then i imagine the battle will keep gettng harder.

There is nothing wrong with him having what he likes every day and then every few days try and introduce a different taste.
    Think I have started rambling now.
    Hope it all starts getting easier for you.xx
  • Options
    I tried the apple mixed in, and mixing jar with my own and he just screams after a couple of mouthfuls, today he won't even touch his yoghurt, although he did eat half a slice of toast with a little dairylea spread on it at lunchtime!!!! I;m going to try just breakfast and milk tomorrow and take him to see the hv on thursday and if they dare so not to worry i;ll scream!! At the end of the day he hasn't been eating properly for nearly a week so think we now need some help!

Hope you are getting on better star
  • Options
    Well Gracie's off her solids because of her ear infection. Will only eat my pureed fruit, savoury stuff which is all lumpier is a no-no atm. Oh but she'll still eat toast, melon, rice-cakes etc, strange eh?!
    These babies know when we try to trick them! I gave Gracie savoury stuff dipped with yoghurt and she knew after a few mouthfuls!
    Hope you have breakthroughs soon! x
  • Options
    you know when you lot say eat... the toast, melon etc... now does your lo litrally clear it off the tray - fin has been giving the toast and cheese triangle a good old suck but not actually eating it... is this what your lo's are doing|???|
    Pootle... not getting on any better - spoke to doctor about it and he said as long as he's having his milk not to worry too much, also said just because he's turned 6 months he's not going to start eating just like that and a lot of babies will opnly like sweet stuff... said give it 4 weeks and see how im getting on, he was sooo nice about it all has put my mind at rest more than hv!!

today did the toast thing... as i said sucked it... then tried a bananna for him to hold and suck and he went at it took big chunk out of it then gagged and was sick ...

tonight refussed everything i made, even tried some of my bolonaise, ella organic pouch, pear puree, yougurt, then he ate some of daddy's custard...mmm buggar!!!

xx
  • Options
    If he likes custard..have you tried the heinz fruity custard pots? Cole has half a pot for lunch mixed with a cube of fruit puree. I have a pot of custard in the cupboard... mm want that now but I don't think it'll taste too good with strepsils! Boots have 3 packs for ??3 on fruity custard at the mo. Actually I think asda might too

Banana sick is horrible!!! It smells so bad I haven't tried Cole on banana since.. and today he sicked up his fishermans pie jar...that was unpleasant too.. I hate fish!

Obi - have you tried the packet cereals that you mix with water? I was just thinking that if philip takes those ok, then heinz do a savoury packet mix of the same thing (meditteranean veg I think) - that could be worth a try, or even mixing in some fruit puree with a cereal.