Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hernia

hey ladies!

firstly i would like to say happy 2nd birthday to all in the dec forum!

secondly i need some advice- i have an umbilical hernia and just wondered if any of you had this when pregnant with your los? im petrified of impending birth as it is without the worry of my hernia popping out whilst pushing! midwives have been crap and said that it 'shouldnt' pop out but if it does........

right, option 1- give birth naturally and hope it doesnt pop out due to pushing and have surgery afterwards
option 2- give birth naturally and if it does pop out then epidural stuck in and surgery performed during labour
option 3- ask for a caesarian and have the job lot!!!

sorry if this is too much information but its stuck in my brain and am really worried about it!

suz x

Replies

• Options
    Poor thing!!! Like you say, birth is a hard enough thing to face without the added pressure of will it/won't it??

I think I would be going for option 3 but, I know that that will hold it's on problems. Is there anyone else in the medical profession you can chat to?

Big hugs XXX
  • Options
    Got to be brief as battery low and not sure how long I've got:
    I think I would ask for an in depth discussion with dr
    and then decide.
    I think without the full understanding I'd go for an elective c-sec knowing they are far safer when not done as an emergency last resort

really hope you get the info and answers you need and so sorry you've extra stress involved. Take care
  • Options
    Option 3 is probably safer than risking popping out during labour and having emergency surgery. At least with elective surgery you can plan for help/care at home when you get home

Keep on at midwives and ask for consultant appt to discuss it with people in the know
  • Options
    Sounds scary.. I think I'd probably go for option 3 too but I think you need to kick off till you get to see a consultant about it - you need to be fully informed so you can make the right decision
    xx
  • Options
    Def talk to a consultant and try and get more information about the risks. A friend of mine just had a hernia removed and it took her about 3 weeks to recover. Have you got someone around to give you a hand and make sure you are well looked after? xx
  • Options
    This is the last thing you need isn't it?! I'm with the others on this .. I think you need to speak to the consultant and see what all the pros and cons are. Good luck - let us know what you decide xx