Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Routines

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
So much for Hollys new routine!! Ive spent the last couple of weeks getting Holly into a nice new routine, proper feedng times, walking times, play times and most importantl sleeping times, the last 2 nights she has decided she isn't having any of it! She has been waking every hour for food again 5.30 she was wide awake and no amount of persuading her was going to change it.
Even though Holly now gets 4 teaspoons of baby rice (2 mid morning and 2 at tea time) she still feeds off me at every possible opertunity. I did think once she started on solids she wouldn't feed as much off me but nope lol Ive decided to stick to rice as its made up with milk so her main diet is still milk (if you see where Im coming from?) Im absolutly exhausted and have no idea where Im going wrong! I don't know if I sould be trying to give her more rice, I have tried again with bottle and cup but still not interested.
Has anyone got any ideas? How long did it take for your lo's to get into a routine?

Replies

• Options
    How old you lo? Jacks got a good routine but does go out the window sometimes which i put down to growth spurts or teething.
    Thru the day he has a bottle then plays then naps at night its bottle bath massage cuddle bed and hue usually sleeps thru till about 6am but two weeks ago he had a week of getting up and guzzing 6oz at 2-3am then stopped again! Hes 14 weeks on monday. Just stick at it if it goes to pot every now and again it doesnt matter as long as you try to stick to it best you can! xxx
  • Options
    I really do sympathize with you. It must be so hard, esp when you have so much hope that your lastest plan will work. I think you're right to stick with the rice as you say it's made up with lots of milk. Was it working before 2 days ago? If so then just stick with it as said above it could be some outside factor. All babies are different, I don't have a lo who goes through the night and I'm sooooo jealous of the mums on here who write that their lo were going 8 hours but are now thankfully going 12 hours. I'd be so so so grateful for 8 hours, what utter bliss! What weight is holly? Is she where she should be, continuing up the same line? I think it really depends on your style of motherhood. My lo can be very grumpy and cry and cry and nothing can comfort him, so we are happy to leave him crying for a feed because we know he's not due yet. But I completely understand if you could not do that. I really do hope that it's just a few bad days and you get back in to a routine. And remember you are doing a fantastic job, the best job in the world (it just also happens to be the most exhausting!). Try to let your oh have him and cat nap if you're able to, you need to rest if you're going to bf so many times a day.

El x
  • Options
    Whats a routine? lol! The only routine we really have is the bedtime routine of 7.15 bath, playtime with daddy, pj's, bottle downstairs, story in bed. Everything else is just winging it. We have a vague routine of bf in the morning, then 2 bottles in the morning (although that varies depending on how much he bf's off me) bottle early afternoon, bottle teatime and then evening bottle. Upping his feeds to 7oz threw things so that he was only having 4 bottles but we've gone back to 6oz bottles which is settling him down again and we aren't getting so many early starts.

I personally feel that I'm too disorganised to have a set routine of feeding at a particular time (plus the breastfeeding at random times throws this) and napping at particular times (although we manage 2 short naps in a morning and 1 in an afternoon after a walk) - plus I think Cole is too young to have in a strict routine really, and some days he's more interested in stuff than other days.

Sorry..that was a bit of a ramble!

Could you maybe try Holly on something else for solids as well? Maybe porridge then she's still getting the milk in there? Or the rice at bedtime? I haven't read up much on weaning yet so that may not be helpful suggestions..
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and listening to my tired ramblings! Things always seem worse first thing in the morning when you have had no sleep.
    I haven't had Holly weighed for 4 weeks but she gets her second jabs on Tuesday (she'll be nearly 13wks) We have tried giving her a little more baby rice about 8ish to see if thats going to help settle her a bit, I really feel I can't go to my hv so am just going on what I think and what Ive read about although weaning at Hollys age just seems to be a no no.
    Thanks again for the support girls,
    Amy xxx
  • Options
    Hope you are feeling better now Amy! You are right..its always worse when you are tired in the morning!

Its all very well for the hv etc to say weaning at 12 weeks is a no-no but following the guidelines doesn't always work does it?! Can you maybe talk to your doctor instead of hv if you aren't comfortable talking to the hv? Good luck with the extra baby rice