Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my clever boy

Ok so I gotta brag a little here...

Hubby has got Cole to splash on demand in the bath! He says 'splash splash splash' to Cole and Cole splashes his arms down! He wouldn't do it for me..but when hubby came up he did. It definately wasn't coincidence... I'm so impressed because there is no way I'd have expected this level of understanding from a 10 week old baby!!! My clever boy!

He also knows what his changing mat means ... unless he's having a full blown 'I just woke up a nd i'm wet and hungry' screaming fit, he'll generally stop grizzling when put on his changing mat and waits patiently while we get the nappy bits together.

Also..unless he's in a full blown 'feed me now' strop, he starts smiling and paying attention when we bring bottles into the room from the kitchen - he'll stop grizzling and wait while the bottle is shaken up.

I'm so impressed.... I really am. I think I'm gonna start trying baby signs with him - even though the book says 4 months!!!

Also - Cole weighs 13lb 10 and he's over the 75th percentile line (the one the hv said they'd worry about if he crossed!) The hv that was there today didn't mention it other thhan to say he was in proportion ..which he is! No wonder my arms feel like they are dropping off when I hold him!

My friend has just been round with a lovely embroidered sampler she's made for Cole - it has animals and the alphabet and his name, dob and weight on! He's such a lucky boy!

Replies

• Options
    wow Kia - you've got a clever lo there... you know that every mum that reads this will try and get their lo to splash on demand!! lol

Know what you mean about your arms dropping off - had Bryn weighed last week (at 10wks) and he was 15lb 10oz... hes in proportion and is in the same place on the graph as Ophelia is (if you see what I mean!) The sampler sounds great - my friend had one done for her lo and I think its such a lovely reminder - not that we need one.
  • Options
    Well done Cole - you've got a clever little man there!

Amy likes bath time now and kicks her legs and smiles but not on demand!
  • Options
    Apparently hubby started by saying 'splash' while splashing Cole's hands and feet in the water and its gone on from there.

I know what you mean Em about being in proportion.. Cole is too - I measured him and he's at the same place on the graph for lenght and weight so he's all fine.

And another good thing today... carrot cake milkshakes! I've never had milkshake made with cake before but it was rather nice!
  • Options
    Well done Cole, what a clever little boy!!
    Brendan has started waving (lifting his arm up anyway!) when we say 'hello' and wave at him! He has also started really talking back to us with his gurgles etc so funny to hear! He beamed and beamed at the hv this morning and she was nearly in hysterics!
    He is now 11lb 7oz and is 8 and a half weeks and my arms are def feeling it! x
  • Options
    Hey well done Cole! That must look so cute!
    Well done Brendan too - waving!
    Gracie's little thing is copying me sticking my tongue out...may have to start doing something a little more educational/socail!! lol
    Can't believe the HV told you they'd worry if Cole went about 75th centile... my boys have always been between 75th and top centile for h/w and Gracie's top for height, 75th weight with not so much as a worry from any HV. As long as they're in proportion like you say, it's fine. My sil had to take her son to a consultant because he tipped the chart for height. You only need to see her (v tall as girl and woman) to know he'd inherited his mum's height! Honestly, they worry us unnecessarily!
  • Options
    I was told only to worry if they go above the 98th (the shaded area of the chart) Know what you mean about your arms esp when carrying the car seat to the car.

Isn't it just amazing how much babies learn in a week it really is such a privallige to be a mummy and get to watch this amazing little person grow and develop. My lo started copying when we nodded and shook our heads last week. Def not a coincidence as he did it over 15 times. We nodded he nodded we shook our heads he did! Trying to teach him the word smile and give us a kiss at the moment!

El x
  • Options
    Wow what clever babys we all have! Slashing on demand thats soo cool!
    Hollys funny and tries to answer back with her coo's (I'll need to watch that when she gets older lol)
    I couldnt agree more, it is such a privillige being a mummy and watching your amazing little person starting off from a wee dot on a screen and watching how they grow and their personalitys developing. I wouldn't change it for the world! xxx
  • Options
    Liz - thats so cute with the waving! Cole has started to burble and make noises a lot more now too..its so cute!

Cole stuck his tongue out at my friend when she did it to him but I think it was a coincidence as he hasn't done it since. Was funny though!!

The thing with the percentiles - he started off on the 25th percentile and the hv said they didn't like them to cross more than 2 lines - so basically if he went over the 75th they'd start to worry, or if he went 2 lines under. I'm not too worried about the hv's little charts though - so long as he doesn't look too skinny or tubby then I'm not bothered - he's in proportion and is just getting long..thats all!

El - I was trying to teach Cole 'kiss' this morning...all i got was a face full of slobber though!!

I'm so impressed with all our clever babies.. I honestly didn't expect to get this level of reactions from a lo at this age. They really are starting to get to the fun stage now aren't they? I'm so glad i have all this time with Cole ...even if we are gonna be skint!
  • Options
    alioli - Amy has just started the sticking out the tongue thing, I didn't realise I did it to her that often, until my best friend pointed out that her 10 month old son was also copying me - oops!!
  • Options
    Lol oops Rachel!!

Coles latest is in the bath, hubby holds him standing up with his feet on the bottom of the bath and gets him moving his legs like walking! Sometimes he doesn't move both legs and just stamps one up and down a lot to splash! Its really funny watching him!