Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hospital Tour

Keep meaning to post about the hospital tour I had on Wednesday evening at Skien hospital. I was really impressed with it and although a little daunted by the size (still probably nothing compared to UK hospitals!) it has loads more facilities and modern equipment so it is definately better for the baby in case he is affected by the Group B Strep.

My midwife was really nice and took me around again once the rest of the group had gone so she could talk to me in english which was fab. They have seven delivery rooms and each one has its own bathroom with loo, bath and shower over it so you can use the bath if you want during early labour. They also have a birthing pool but I won't be able to use that since I will be on antibiotics. They have gas and air - woohoo!! Well worth a try this time I think! I talked to my midwife about my labour with Bren and said that I was pleased I managed with no pain relief but that I was absolutely shattered after pushing for nearly two hours! :roll: She said it was probably because I maybe started pushing a bit too early and that the gas and air would be an advantage as that would help me take my mind of the urge to push. So that was a good tip!
Generally you get your own room once you have had the baby and hubby can stay in too (although he will have to go home with Brendan if the baby comes before my mum comes out). If they are really busy you may end up sharing with another person but she said you can say if you really don't want to share, or if you are having problems they will tend to let you have a room on your own.
The canteen was pretty much the same as the place I had Bren with a help your self buffet style bit and then hot meals on request. Hubby and Bren can come and see me pretty much anytime they want up until 9pm, but other visitors are restricted to a one hour visiting time.

My midwife said if I choose to go there (think I def will) then she will put me down for my 32 week ultrasound there so I get to have another look then and meet some of the midwives there. She also said it is important for me to go at the first sign of things happening so they can get the antibiotics into me and she will make sure that is on my hospital notes for when I call saying I am in labour.

So all in all I am feeling much happier about going there.

Only thing that upset me was when my midwife said 'how far are you again?' and I said 24 weeks and she replied ' gosh your bump is huge!' image How rude!! image I was thinking the same myself though, sure I wasn't this big at this stage with Bren! Guess everything is a bit more 'relaxed' the second time around. Thankfully it does all seem to be bump out front again which I am glad about! xxx

Replies

• Options
    Glad you seem happy with the new hospital it sounds LUSH compared with where I was and if it is best option for you and bubs then surely that's the way to go - your midwife sounds great!

Are you any further on with names???!
  • Options
    Thanks Charli, nope not really any further on with names! Hubby referred to him as Jacob the other day so I think that is what he will end up being. We're going to wait until he arrives to make a proper decision though, just incase he doesn't look like a Jacob lol!! x
  • Options
    Very sensible too - we only had one name decided on this time round and luckily Max was a boy otherwise we would have been screwed with no idea what to call a girl - its SO hard isn't it and next time I have no idea what we will call anyone!
  • Options
    That does sound a good place to give birth! I was very lucky after havin Alfs, as because we didn't get up to the ward till 11pm, they put me in a private room so not to disturb others prob.
    In a diff hosp with Charlie i was in a ward of 4 (only 3 in) and it was awful. The woman next to me snored, loudly, and had her baby looked after at night so she slept all night, snored all night! Me n the other woman said we should leave our los crying a bit longer to try n wake her, but to no avail! lol
    I didn't stay in with Gracie...she was my drive thru baby!
    And gas and air was ace for A and G, but i was so sick with it with C i went pain-relief free for the last hour n a half......oucheeeee!!!
  • Options
    oh yeah - LOVE the gas and air!
  • Options
    It will be so nice to actually have some kind of pain relief as an option for this one! I'm definately having the accupuncture again too as that stopped me feeling sick with the contractions instantly with Brendan. Apparantly all the midwives are trained how to do it which is good as I had to wait half an hour for someone to give me it at the last hospital xx
  • Options
    Wow the hospital sounds fab!!! The midwife sounds lovely as well, I cant believe they are all trained in how to give accupuncture, I think we all need to move over to Norway lol You'll need to let us see some pics of your bump so we can all get really jealous!! xxx
  • Options
    I know, I was thinking the other day I haven't taken any yet. My camera is at my Mums so will be picking it up when we are over in the UK next week. I will take some and put them on facebook so you can all have a good giggle! My belly button still hadn't recovered from having Brendan and it has gone flat again already! Not sure if I have any more stretch marks yet or if it is just the ones I have from Bren that have grown with my bump - honestly nothing to be jealous about lol!! xx
  • Options
    Yeah, let's see the huge bump lol!
    My belly button's horrible now, half inny/outty can't say it's nice! That has more to do with my op as they cut about 3rd of way round edge of it for the camera i presume. And i still have a patchwork belly! Don't ever have an op when you have a tan!
  • Options
    ooooooo that sounds soooo nice and im loving the acupuncture idea!
    well i was a woose and had epidural but worse thing was it wore off before pushing and they wouldnt top up so then want from hardly no pain to major pain NOT GOOD!

that next scan will be lovely as it will be soooo clear!

xxx
  • Options
    sounds great Liz all positive xxx