Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

opinions please ...

might end up being long but I am interested in your opinions!

Right - we have been out today on one of our FAVOURITE beaches about 1.5hrs drive from us. It is lovely very isolated and totally beautiful. There are some cottages right near the beach that look fab and have brilliant outdoor play areas for kids and everytime we have been there (even pre Max) we have picked up a leaflet about renting them but they have never had a website before and we have never been certain enough about booking to bother phoning to find out prices. This time they had a website and so I have had a look on tonight.

Now they look absolutely lovely and I am wondering about booking one. In particular:
http://www.rosscottages.co.uk/the-ducket-northumberland.cfm
It looks GORGEOUS! Now me and hubbie are starting to think about planning our FIRST night away without Max possibly in October half term as we feel we are ready for it. We were thinking of booking a hotel for that ngiht so my mum and dad can look after Max here at home. Now this gorgeous place is available the last weekend of half term for 3 nights - BUT we would only be able to stay 2 of those nights and I am not sure the first time I am away from Max I will want to stay away 2 nights! I know soft but it's true but then I was also thinking that if we wanted through one of the days my parents could come with max and spend sometime and then we would still have the nights and LIE INS to ourselves but it is quite pricey and if we can't stay one night maybe it's silly - we have not got much spare cash!

Then I thought it might be lovely to all go for Christmas week - I would have to check we could take max - it might be a nightmare for the stairs etc but I think it would be really magical and a lovely place to spend our first christmas just our little family! It would stop unwanted IL's coming LOL! and might be fab BUT should we spend that first christmas just the 3 of us at home?? Can't help thinking me and hubbie might be bored just us 3 in our own house for that time as we are used to busy christmases if you know what I mean!??

And then the final option might be to go for my 30th Birthday next April when we would be ready to spend more time away from Max and have a few days to ourselves - as long as we can get someone to look after him WhateeeEver! BUT by then I (hopefully) will be up the duff again and so it might not be quite the same if you know what I mean......

ARRRRGGGHHHH - any opinions welcome!!!

Replies

• Options
    We had a lovely christmas last year just the 3 of us. I have no intention of ever tramping cole around here there and everywhere on christmas day when he'd rather be playing with toys (my dad had a religious phase and at one point it was church on christmas day ..that sucked!) so I laid down the law before he was even born! didn't stop my parents trying to come round last year but I refused. We had a lovely relaxed day and we took cole to the playground and stuff, and it was nice and peaceful (probably best for cole what with his b-day being the 22nd!)

Could your parents not have max for a night beforehand if you do october to get him used to being away from you? Cole has stayed at my parents overnight several times and last time he stayed 2 nights and was fine. they were knackered though lol. we are away overnight at a wedding next month but cause we are setting off early my parents are having him 2 nights so that was a practice run.

Honestly - given that you are ttc soon then i'd say go for it soner rather than later - you could always send max to your parents for one night as a pracitce and see how you feel about having them bring him to the cottage for a visit while you were there.

go for it!
  • Options
    Unfortunately NO family are close enough to send Max too - my parents are 6 hrs drive away hence why no one has had him yet people will have to come here to look after him and we will have to ship out!
  • Options
    I agree with Kia, get it done the sooner the better. From experience, it's harder to get ppl to look after more than one child overnight! You could by pg by Xmas or April and not fully appreciate the 'being on your own'ness. Don't let the thought of being away from Max stop you. He'll love it and so will you. Your parents can cope, they had you! You'll think of him lots but also enjoy being a couple again. Saying that I've never had more than a night away from mine at a time, but are planning to soon (as said, much harder with 3 kids to palm off!). Get it booked and you could conceive no 2 there!
  • Options
    My opinon -

Do last week Oct half term. Get your parent's to come and stay at yours and then they can bring Max up to visit you on the Saturday. And you can have 2 nights, 2 lie ins and still see Max.

BOOK IT!!!!
  • Options
    oh poo

They won't allow babies in that property at all - no Christmas there for us then!

Then I also checked and I read the free weekends all wrong and they are NOT free the weekend in Oct I wanted!

RUBBISH!
  • Options
    Totally rubbish! Is there anywhere else you could go? I agree that if you can afford it then it would be fab to go away for a couple of days before baby number two arrives. Maybe book somewhere closer to your Mums so you feel happier about leaving Max for two nights? xx
  • Options
    we will def be spending a night away in Oct half term - we may well go stay at our wedding venue! It is LUSH!