Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Star11

How is Fin doing on the sleep front? Elijah is waking up every single night at around 3.30 wanting a bottle. Sometimes he will go straight back, but mostly he wants to get up & just wont go back for a least an hour! Its exhausting me image hope youre having more luck x

Replies

• Options
    Hey lovely... i do feel for you as its exhausting isn't it and i think it's worse cause they are one now so you'd think we would be having a full nights sleep by now!

fin seems to change all the time - he was going through phases of waking alot and just scream, cry and end up falling against cot and hurting himself if i tried to lay him down he wouldnt let me and it was awful so i'd just bring him in bed! that didnt really work as them i would feel defeated and wouldnt get proper nights sleep!

then i have other nights he wakes crying and i can get him back off ok with dummy and rubbing him bum (he sleeps on belly) this could be anything from once to several times!

then a few nights he has stired crying so ive put dummy back in and he's gone off till anything between 5 and 6.20! this is rare but i love it when it happens!

is Elijah in his own room now? and doesn he go off ok? with the milk in night - has anything changed in day to mean he's not eating or drinking as much as used too??? perhaps go back to when little and do the wateted down milk or offer water although i know easier said than done whne all you want is to get to sleep!!!

xx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are both still having bad nights. I have had a bad couple of weeks with Brendan as after being in the UK over Christmas we have got into bad habits and as a result he was waking at about 2am and 5am wanting cuddles and some milk.
    I have finally got him back to sleeping through (touch wood!) so I will tell you what I did to see if it helps at all. If he woke wanting a drink I gave him very weak cordial in a bottle, he would usually have a few slurps and then not want anymore because it wasn't milk. Instead of holding him I would lay him down in his cot and rub his back while singing a lullaby, and even though he would scream and cry and try and get up at first eventually he would go off to sleep. Then I would leave the room, and if he woke up and started crying again I would leave him for as long as I could. Sometimes he would just stop and settle down to sleep, sometimes I had to go in again repeat the laying him down and rubbing his back to calm him down.
    After a couple of nights of this when he woke up crying I wouldn't go in immediatly. He has a different cry for 'I want a cuddle or attention' to 'help me!' so I didn't feel too bad doing that. Again sometimes after a few minutes he would stop again and go back to sleep, sometimes I would eventually have to go in and do the back rubbing again.

Anyway, it seems to have worked as for the last two nights he has gone to bed at about 7:30-8pm and woken up when hubby gets up for work at around 6:30-7am. Which is fab as it means hubby can get him breakfast while I get a quick shower!

Really hope they both start sleeping through for you soon, and a bit later into the morning so you can get a good nights sleep! x
  • Options
    Elijah tends to go through phases too. Was fine until we moved here-since then-chaos really. I think he was really attached to our house (as was i.) He still isnt in his own room yet as hubby has to fix a curtain rail up as too much light in there, but hes been working late alot so never quite happens!
    Elijah goes off with no trouble, i think the waking has just become a habit. And as ive said before, as we are living with in laws, we just get him up sometimes to keep him quiet, which really hasnt helped.
    Once he is in his own room im gonna do what you did Liz as its worked for Lije before. Its just so bloody hard living here thats the whole problem i think!!! Roll on may. Good luck Star keep us updated xxx
  • Options
    Jack goes through sleep phases too. He had a month of waking at 430-5am without going back to bed then that stopped and went back to waking at 6-7am. Then he had last lot of jabs(mmr) which threw us again to 430-5 then straight after started teething with another big back tooth so waking through night and early morning.
    My problem is that he wont nap during day at all. He may have 20 mins in pram if we go out or in car but if we in he just wont go to bed! Not had any problems at night but through day he will scream blue murder if i try put him down with and without dummy xxx
  • Options
    poor you hunibuni, sounds like Jacks been through it lately! Im quite lucky as Elijah has a morning nap in cot for around 2 hours and sometimes will have a little sleep in afternoon too, so at least i get a rest (put washing on/wash up etc..lol) xx
  • Options
    sorry for just buttin in lol! but i moved into my own house...bein a single mum and onli 19 and jugglin a job at the same time aint easy lol! but i was readin ur we comments there and my we boy recently has been gettin up durin the nyt about 1ish and wont go back to sleep for an hour sometimes 2 this was goin on for about 2 weeks and i was just exhausted so i stayed at my mums for a bit and give him a bath at nyt just before bed time and its worked a real treat...defo worth tryin!
  • Options
    ur not butting in image its a great idea to give a bath b4 bed, unfortunately Elijah does not find this relaxing and thinks its mega playtime, splashes, screams & gets excited lol
  • Options
    well i'm most likely cursing myself but fin's been quite good - going off awake but sleepy and then may have few winges but then waking about 6am then we had 2 mornings when he went back off in our bed after bottle one till 10am and today till 9am! HEAVEN!

I have chnaged a few things - so before had bottle anytime in night or morning then breakie at 8/9ish then lunch of cheese strings, toast etc, bottle at 4 and tea at 6 bath at 7 and bottle bed!

now he's doing same in morning but lunch bit later and not stressing too much about how much he eats, then at 4/4,30 cooking him things like waffels, fish fingures, pizza, macaroni cheese - i wouldnt say he eats much but he has his own MR men plates now i put a small bit of each on and then when eaten that put more on! and a yougurt or something - he has bottle but drinks what he wants whilts playing!

bath 7 bottle bed!

but i think were all less stressed - and he's not getting all worked up about food just before sleep etc... he loves bath and has a play and splash does get excited and is wide awake but he's normally ready for bed! so not only changed meal time s abit but also nap!he always had morning long nap and then a bit in avo but now i keep him going all morning or we go park or something and then has lunch and sleep after - seems to help!

xxxx