Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Dec 07
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

he wont sleep alone

He's really clingy especially to his dad. sometimes he screams and cries when we leave the room, he follows us everywhere and has ended up sleeping in our bed. sometimes i have to go sleep in the spare bed cos i'm 7 motnhs pregnant and there s no room.

His bed is all ready looking nice n cosy but he just wont go. his dad is not patient enough to go take him to bed. and our son definatly wont let me take him. even if hes fallen asleep downstairs his dad just puts him in our bed cos he'll wake up and cry knowing hes not in our bed. pleaseeeee help please

i';ve tried leavingf for 5 mins then 10 mins and coming back in his room but didnt work

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Is this a new thing or has he always been like this?

I don't think there is going to be an easy solution I am afraid and it may take a few tears until you get there with him. I have found with Brendan it is definately better for him to go down awake (even if only slightly!) so he doesn't wake up and wonder where he is. Maybe let him play in his room more during the day to get him used to it, can you get him to take his naps in his own bed? If not that may be the place to start.

I have had some bad nights with Brendan after we got into bad habits following our last visit to the UK where he picked up a nasty tummy bug. We started putting him in with us when he woke up and then whenever he woke up he just wanted to come in with us. It took me about 3 nights where I had to get up and settle him again, sing him lullabies and rub his back until he fell asleep again, but then he went back to sleeping through.

He still has odd nights though, especially if he has a tooth coming through, where he really wants to come in with us and it is hard not to give in. I know how you must feel as I'm 32 weeks pregnant now and I need my sleep so badly! It is really hard work settling him again when I know if I put him in with us he would go back to sleep.

I think it is just a case of breaking the habit, stick to the same bedtime routine so it is familiar, it may take 10 trips back and forth to his room for him to settle but as long as you know everything else is ok you just have to grin and bare it.

Good luck! x